“Disappointing... be aware” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Mission Valley Resort

Save Saved
You added Mission Valley Resort to your Saves list
Mission Valley Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   875 Hotel Circle South, San Diego, CA 92108 (Mission Valley / Hotel Circle)   |
Ranked #234 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Disappointing... be aware”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I booked this hotel via British Airways in the UK, the rate (breakfast not included) paid implied anything but budget! Upon arrival I had to check I was in the right place. The hotel has all the hallmarks of a well used budget motel and to be fair the room was clean but I use the term shabby chic to describe the overal ambience. Our room was quite dark and dismal (reminiscent of UK b&b in the 70's) this was not the impression I got from the the BA site when booking, at best I would say BA description was generous. I have no objection to budget motels and they have their place in my travel arrangements but this is not what I had in mind for this visit. One of the pitfalls of booking a hotel in one continent and living in another. No great shakes just disappointing.

Some tips: the Circles North and South are a beltway of hotels about 3 or 4 miles from downtown SD. Thus, hotel location ok for parking (free) if you have a car but you have a short drive into SD from here, same for attractions in Bilboa Park (parking free). If you stay here be prepared to drive to other locals, which is common for US folks but if your here from UK/Europe, you will need a car! There is a local shop on site and a bar which were useful. Parking in SD same as everywhere else, meters and warderns everywhere. Also watch out if you park near Midway battleship before 8pm you pay for parking but don't just replenish your meter you will get a ticket, your stay is monitored.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

The male clerk at the front desk was extremley helpful. There were several things wrong with the room. I was very grateful we were not in there except to sleep. I think this could be a charming hotel if maintenence would fix up the rooms. I recommend making sure the t.v channels work, windows are not broken, and paint or wash the walls. I would not choose this pace again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

The place is great because of the gym and pools, but the best thing was the treat from Kimmy, she's very kind and polite. We get a litle lost to get here but still was worth it haha and i don't know what else to say the suite have microwave and refrigerator ..

• Stayed July 2014
Yuma, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We just returned from our stay! I was fearful of my choice upon reading the reviews. I was pleasantly surprised. Chris and Aaron gave excellent service. The location was great for all our activities. This hotel is on older property, I can excuse the "old" for great guest service, clean room and a very comfortable bed. I will be choosing the hotel for my next visit to San Diego.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
mvrgm, General Manager at Mission Valley Resort, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank you for your comments, You have a great understanding of what the Mission Valley Resort is all about. We are an older clean property that cares about our guest and wants them to enjoy their time with us. We are moderately priced to help our guest feel that they are getting a great value for a hotel in the heart of San Diego. Thanks again!
Montclair, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We have had great times at MVR...Our experiences (5) I believe now, have all been good. Due to budgetary issues, to get away for a long weekend, it needs to be within a certain distance, and San Diego is the perfect place to come to. Our room has always been just fine, very nice in fact. The mattress is new and very comfortable, and the safe was not broken. Also, there has never, even been any type of bug issues...Not once! We enjoy going to the MVR Tavern in the evening for drinks, great music, great people, Hot Spot, Pool, etc. The bartenders, Avery and Matt rock! Renee is great too! The restaurant is the best! Management rocks too, as Mike Hensley really cares, and I think it shows. Thanks for everything!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your honest feedback. I belive you have a great understanding of the Mission Valley Resort.
Great location, Great value and a great staff.
We look forward to your return!
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

We stayed at this hotel in june 2014 the room was in average condition, could be alot cleaner. our safe didnt work and when we requested for it to be repaired the receptionist said they will send someone to fix it, when the maintenance man arrived he informed us that all the safes in the resort were broken.
the hotel is in an average location, the free wi-fi didn't work 90% of the time.

Room Tip: Apparently they have newer nicer rooms maybe ask for one, otherwise stay away
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. My apologies for the challenges you faced while at the Mission Valley Resort. Since your stay we located and fixed the wifi reception, we had a faulty repeater and it has been replaced. As for the in-room safes, we are replacing them as needed and i will review your challenge with the Maintenance team. We can replace the in-room safes. Thank you again for your comments, I hope that you will give us another chance to make a better impression.
Westchester County, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

We have made reservation in this hotel for Aug, but now that i have read too many bad reviews how Am i going to trust. I am afraid now, hope the management give me a feed back and make feel comfortable so I don't change my mind. The most important things for me are cleanness, AC working, fresh towels every day, courtesy stuff etc.....
Thanks!! Please help with advice.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hello, please call on me directly. I will be happy to review your reservation and confirm no challenges when my guest at the Mission Valley Resort. I can see why you are confused, there are many travelers that like the hotel for the value and friendly staff. Others are challenged by the expectation of a high end resort for bargain prices. Answer is we are a older property with clean older style rooms at great value. I belive you will enjoy your stay. Thank you,

Been to Mission Valley Resort? Share your experiences!