“A Great San Diego Getaway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mission Valley Resort

You added Mission Valley Resort to your Saves list
Mission Valley Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   875 Hotel Circle South, San Diego, CA 92108 (Mission Valley / Hotel Circle)   |
Ranked #234 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Manhattan Beach
“A Great San Diego Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

This is my third stay at the Mission Valley Resort and I am once again pleased with my stay, regardless of the negative comments I have read posted here. I owned and operated 2 Bed and Breakfasts, so I believe my opinion does have merit in the eyes of those who my be reading the reviews and considering staying here. Yes, it is an older property, but well maintained all the same. I had the opportunity to sit by the pool and watch the love and attention the gardeners were giving the lovely plantings. My room, as before, was spotless. I recognized the housekeeping staff from my previous stays and they were very attentive to my service requests. And, the front desk was kind and helpful. If safety, budget and location are at the top of your list of requirements when looking for lodging, you will be satisfied. As a have mentioned in my other reviews on Trip Advisor, those who post unwarranted negative reviews are doing a great disservice to others who may be considering staying here. I witnessed it first hand as an innkeeper. No matter how much I cleaned and tried to provide a welcoming atmosphere to my guests, you are always going to have those who seem to want to find something wrong with a property and overlook the positive attributes. I'm sure you have had similar house guests in your own home, lol.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Santa Fe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I know this place has received some iffy reviews, but we stayed there in April of 2012 with a group of friends and we enjoyed the hotel just fine. The rooms are not gorgeous or modern but they were clean and neat. The pool and hot tub were clean and the grounds of the property were really quite nice. There is a restaurant, bar and mini grocery store on the grounds which really made it convinient for us to get what we needed. We were able to make it downtown or to PB in about 15 minutes and the resort was able to call a nice cab company to take care of us.
No this place isn't the hyatt, but you get what you pay for. For a group of young people on a short vacation to San Diego it worked perfectly for us.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

This place is supposed to be a resort? Not even close! It's barely nicer than a Motel 6.
The best thing about this place was the saltwater swimming pool. That was very very nice, warm water and 8 feet deep instead of the typical 5 feet in most places.
It's also about 1 minute from the freeway, which is a great plus!
The rooms were small, dingy, outdated, typical hotel bedspreads. I searched the place for bedbugs and found none, thank goodness!!! But I did stop at the convenience store and pick up some Clorox bleach and paper towels so I could wipe everything down. Maybe a bit extreme, but it just seemed dirty! Was only there a couple of nights, and was at the beach during the day. I'm glad I didn't have to stay in the room all day!!!
Anyway, I won't stay there again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
TEMPE
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

This "resort" is adequate at best. It is located in the middle of Hotel Circle and, as an older facility, is less pricey than many. The pluses: The room was clean and the firm bed was satisfactory to one of the two of us. The other had`backaches. The pillows were flat. The room had a safe and hair dryer but no refrigerator.The shower was clean but relatively low pressure, and if you are not used to San Diego water, beware: It is sulfurous and hard, so trying to shampoo is a laugh riot.

We stayed in Building 6, up the hill from the road. Street noises were not bad, but it was very easy to hear conversations in adjoining rooms. The grounds were quite nice, except for the sidewalks and stairs to the second-floor rooms. They all were filthy and badly stained, crying out for a pressure wash. That alone would improve the appearance of the whole property and`eliminate the feeling that no matter what, you would not want to walk barefoot..

There is a nice pool and whirlpool, the "heated" pool seemingly heated not at all and the whirlpool really, really hot. If they were to give three degrees of whirlpool temperature to the swimming pool, they would win a lot of friends. The pool is deep enough to dive into so people with little kids should watch them. The hotel advises guests to get pool towels at the pool, so I tried, but they were out of them. The front desk said they would get more, but none showed up an hour later, necessitating a trip back to my room.

Other inconveniences: The lobby computer internet was down for all of the Labor Day weekend, and the front desk said they would not be able to get anyone in to make the repair until Tuesday. This forced us to go to an Internet store to get our airline boarding passes. The ice machine works using your hotel room door card, but when I tried to use it, the machine delivered no ice. The front desk sent me to the hotel restaurant, which provided ice.

Speaking of the restaurant, it is one of the bright spots here. The food is pretty good and the service exceptional. Some of the specials looks really good, and at reasonable cost. Another plus is a convenience/package store located next to the restaurant.

The front desk staff was uniformly young, friendly and clueless. Three times I went in to ask tourist-type questions and all three times, I got the impression that their knowledge of the area was limited almost entirely to the standard tourist places. For example, I asked about seafood restaurants, and the guy recommended Anthony's downtown, perhaps the best-known seafood place in SD. I asked if he knew of anything that was perhaps a bit less expensive, and the best he could come up with was King's, a good but expensive chain restaurant. No help at all.

So here's the deal: There is nothing very wrong with this place if what you want is sleeping accommodations. I got it for under $100 a night on Labor Day weekend, and in the ridiculously overpriced San Diego hotel market, that's not bad. I just feel that, with all the little annoyances, there must be better out there.

Room Tip: Away from the street
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

The staff was great!!! The bar was a blast and the room we had was perfect, the tropical grounds were beautiful,So close to everythin.Thank you Mission valley resort for everything you provided for us :))))

• Stayed August 2012
Fontana, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Yes, the resort is older, but they are doing a great job in the renovations while still keeping things running. Our company uses this location for all our San Diego work and they have always accommodated both our drivers and our parking needs (bus company, so a lot of large vehicles).
While not state of the art, the rooms have been clean and functioning. We are close to where we need to be without being in the congestion of downtown and still have somewhere to eat. Also, being across from the Mission Valley mall is good for stocking up on treats and fast good-for-you food items. Staff has always done what was needed to make our stay comfortable, including keeping the jacuzzi open after hours for me when my back was out and we got in later than expected. Kudos to this landmark location. Glad they are keeping things going. Look forward to the completed renovations.

Room Tip: Like Building 3 and 4 second floor. Stairs can be difficult for some, but the rooms are quieter with...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

We checked into a non-smoking room. When we walked in it smelled like lingering smoke. Besides that, everything looked pretty good. At first. The walls had scuffs and scratches all over. The mattresses were old and had blood stains on them. Bedding was stained and didn't smell fresh. The microwave didn't work. The room safe didn't work(they know about it, they don't want to put batteries in them, too much to keep up they said. They even asked if we really even needed the safe). A lamp didn't work. The tv was really old. The bathroom shower tub drain was rusted and chipped. The shower curtain didn't contain water so every time you showered the water would leak out all over the floor. The door to the bathroom didn't open all the way because the toilet was in the way. They had a door stop attached to the door to keep it from hitting the toilet. Every time we used the toilet it clogged. The first time it happened we called to have it fixed. The guy came about a half hour later to snake the toilet. When he was done he put the snake on the carpet floor!!!(Never walk around barefoot in a hotel). The next time we used the toilet it clogged again. When I called to have it fixed they seemed short with me. Then when we discovered the microwave didn't work, they finally just brought a new one 6 hrs later but didn't remove the old one. We had to request that our room be cleaned while we were out. They didn't change the bedding, I know this because my baby threw up on the bed and that night the sheets smelled like throwup still. Overall we rated this room poorly. Its old, smelly, badly maintained and dirty. I will never stay here again!

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Mission Valley Resort? Share your experiences!