“An old facility that doesn't quite make it” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Mission Valley Resort

You added Mission Valley Resort to your Saves list
Mission Valley Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   875 Hotel Circle South, San Diego, CA 92108 (Mission Valley / Hotel Circle)   |
Ranked #234 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
TEMPE
“An old facility that doesn't quite make it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

This "resort" is adequate at best. It is located in the middle of Hotel Circle and, as an older facility, is less pricey than many. The pluses: The room was clean and the firm bed was satisfactory to one of the two of us. The other had`backaches. The pillows were flat. The room had a safe and hair dryer but no refrigerator.The shower was clean but relatively low pressure, and if you are not used to San Diego water, beware: It is sulfurous and hard, so trying to shampoo is a laugh riot.

We stayed in Building 6, up the hill from the road. Street noises were not bad, but it was very easy to hear conversations in adjoining rooms. The grounds were quite nice, except for the sidewalks and stairs to the second-floor rooms. They all were filthy and badly stained, crying out for a pressure wash. That alone would improve the appearance of the whole property and`eliminate the feeling that no matter what, you would not want to walk barefoot..

There is a nice pool and whirlpool, the "heated" pool seemingly heated not at all and the whirlpool really, really hot. If they were to give three degrees of whirlpool temperature to the swimming pool, they would win a lot of friends. The pool is deep enough to dive into so people with little kids should watch them. The hotel advises guests to get pool towels at the pool, so I tried, but they were out of them. The front desk said they would get more, but none showed up an hour later, necessitating a trip back to my room.

Other inconveniences: The lobby computer internet was down for all of the Labor Day weekend, and the front desk said they would not be able to get anyone in to make the repair until Tuesday. This forced us to go to an Internet store to get our airline boarding passes. The ice machine works using your hotel room door card, but when I tried to use it, the machine delivered no ice. The front desk sent me to the hotel restaurant, which provided ice.

Speaking of the restaurant, it is one of the bright spots here. The food is pretty good and the service exceptional. Some of the specials looks really good, and at reasonable cost. Another plus is a convenience/package store located next to the restaurant.

The front desk staff was uniformly young, friendly and clueless. Three times I went in to ask tourist-type questions and all three times, I got the impression that their knowledge of the area was limited almost entirely to the standard tourist places. For example, I asked about seafood restaurants, and the guy recommended Anthony's downtown, perhaps the best-known seafood place in SD. I asked if he knew of anything that was perhaps a bit less expensive, and the best he could come up with was King's, a good but expensive chain restaurant. No help at all.

So here's the deal: There is nothing very wrong with this place if what you want is sleeping accommodations. I got it for under $100 a night on Labor Day weekend, and in the ridiculously overpriced San Diego hotel market, that's not bad. I just feel that, with all the little annoyances, there must be better out there.

Room Tip: Away from the street
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

The staff was great!!! The bar was a blast and the room we had was perfect, the tropical grounds were beautiful,So close to everythin.Thank you Mission valley resort for everything you provided for us :))))

• Stayed August 2012
Fontana, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Yes, the resort is older, but they are doing a great job in the renovations while still keeping things running. Our company uses this location for all our San Diego work and they have always accommodated both our drivers and our parking needs (bus company, so a lot of large vehicles).
While not state of the art, the rooms have been clean and functioning. We are close to where we need to be without being in the congestion of downtown and still have somewhere to eat. Also, being across from the Mission Valley mall is good for stocking up on treats and fast good-for-you food items. Staff has always done what was needed to make our stay comfortable, including keeping the jacuzzi open after hours for me when my back was out and we got in later than expected. Kudos to this landmark location. Glad they are keeping things going. Look forward to the completed renovations.

Room Tip: Like Building 3 and 4 second floor. Stairs can be difficult for some, but the rooms are quieter with...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

We checked into a non-smoking room. When we walked in it smelled like lingering smoke. Besides that, everything looked pretty good. At first. The walls had scuffs and scratches all over. The mattresses were old and had blood stains on them. Bedding was stained and didn't smell fresh. The microwave didn't work. The room safe didn't work(they know about it, they don't want to put batteries in them, too much to keep up they said. They even asked if we really even needed the safe). A lamp didn't work. The tv was really old. The bathroom shower tub drain was rusted and chipped. The shower curtain didn't contain water so every time you showered the water would leak out all over the floor. The door to the bathroom didn't open all the way because the toilet was in the way. They had a door stop attached to the door to keep it from hitting the toilet. Every time we used the toilet it clogged. The first time it happened we called to have it fixed. The guy came about a half hour later to snake the toilet. When he was done he put the snake on the carpet floor!!!(Never walk around barefoot in a hotel). The next time we used the toilet it clogged again. When I called to have it fixed they seemed short with me. Then when we discovered the microwave didn't work, they finally just brought a new one 6 hrs later but didn't remove the old one. We had to request that our room be cleaned while we were out. They didn't change the bedding, I know this because my baby threw up on the bed and that night the sheets smelled like throwup still. Overall we rated this room poorly. Its old, smelly, badly maintained and dirty. I will never stay here again!

• Stayed August 2012
Twentynine Palms, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I had to demand a new hotel room twice. It was late by the time I checked into the resort. I opened the door and discovered there was no power in the room. The light from outside also revealed food and stains on the walls. My husband demanded a new clean room with power. The second room had food and stains smeared on the walls. The drawers and table were broken. I pulled back the blankets on the bed and discovered mold growing on the bed! The sheets were also stained badly. My husband explained the situation at the front desk and again demanded a different room. The wall in the kitchen of the third room was stained. The stain appeared as though an animal (hopefully not a person) had urinated on the wall. The sink was rusted and contained chunks of a green substance. The couch was torn. My parents were also staying at the hotel. There room was similar. I offered to share our room with them. After thoroughly checking the pull out bed I discovered brown smears all over the sheets. The sheets on the bed were also stained. The lamps in the room contained thick layers of dust and cobwebs. In the morning I stepped outside and saw the house keeper. She was carrying a medium size canvas bag to clean rooms. I do not believe the house keepers change the sheets ever. Nor do I believe they actually clean anything! I was very disgusted with the entire experience. I honestly do believe health regulations are not being upheld at this hotel! Mold on the bed and food smeared on the wall. How can this place pass health regulations? The pictures presented online at the resort website are not the actual rooms available.

Room Tip: The rooms are unsanitary
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Sumter, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I have stayed at 100s of hotels and this is by far the worst one I have ever stayed at. We booked it expecting a 3-star hotel and that is simply false advertisement. You will be better off staying at a Super 8 or Motel 6. The hotel room was falling apart and not clean. I could not wait to get home and take a shower because I felt dirty after staying there. We did not even have hand soap or shampoo in our room. I could not more strongly encourage you to book a different hotel and avoid the huge disappointed we experienced.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

It is absolutely false advertisement to list this place as a 3-star establishment. It is a roadside motel. And there is nothing wrong with that - unless you book a room thinking it's anything close to a to a 3- star hotel. If I just walked into this place I would assume it was a 1.5 star - 2 star if I'm being generous. PLEASE stop listing it as 3- star and confusing travelers.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Mission Valley Resort? Share your experiences!