“Slightly Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Mission Valley Resort

You added Mission Valley Resort to your Saves list
Mission Valley Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   875 Hotel Circle South, San Diego, CA 92108 (Mission Valley / Hotel Circle)   |
Ranked #235 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Orange County, California
“Slightly Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

I've stayed at the Mission Valley Resort before and was looking forward to it again. I stayed with some friends back in 2007 and we had a great experience. Unfortunately this time wasn't as great. The location is pretty good, a 5 min drive to Old Town, about 10 min to the Gaslamp District, and about a 15 min walk to the closest trolley station (Fashion Valley Mall).

I called the Friday before we were to check in to verify our reservation. The person I spoke with spent 10 min trying to locate my reservation, and then informed me that they were fully booked and there would be no early check-in available. When we got there on Saturday there was only 1 person working the front desk and 3 parties in front of us waiting to be helped. When we finally got checked in, our room keys didn't work. We went back to the front desk, waited in line again, and were told by there women there that we should be more careful and not put the room keys near our credit cards or cell phones because it will cause the keys not to work. The keys had been in my hand the whole time.

The room was pretty run down. There were tears in the sheets, the carpet was frayed, the bathroom had some black stains (smoke or mold- I'm not sure) on the wall, and the shower head barely spit out enough water to wash shampoo out of my hair. Bottom line- its a pretty basic hotel, and if your expectations are low you'll be fine. We don't generally spend much time IN hotel rooms... we go on vacation to go out and have fun... but I think the basics- like clean walls and fresh sheets without rips in them should be standard.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

I stayed at this hotel last year and booked through JetBlue. Horrible mistake. The trip was for me and my son and it was our first trip to Cali and the hotel was a disappointment. It was in dire need of repair. The bathroom was horrible and dirty and this was an upgraded room. I made my son shower with his flip flops on. The place was totally gross.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012 via mobile

I've been to San Diego before, but this was the first time I stayed at this hotel. I got a very low price online, and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the hotel. The rooms are a bit run down, but clean. The staff was very nice, and I liked the sports bar. Overall, I would have expected less for the price, and I will stay again.

• Stayed December 2011
Cheshire, CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

Recently, while on a business trip, I booked two nights at the Mission Valley Resort. My company had put me up in a expensive down-town hotel for two nights and I elected to stay on my own dime for a few days just for a little R&R. The company paid hotel was $200/night. I could go on and on about the differences, some slight some not so slight but in the end, Mission Valley Resort was safe, clean and centrally located. It had ample room for me to park my car, a nice swimming pool and a really, really convenient family restaurant and shop connected to it and with the money I saved, I was able to buy and eat like a king in La Jolla and Laguna Beach. I guess you could say, I did San Diego on the cheap.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

We have stayed here several times now, This hotel is good IF YOU book one of the superior rooms. The standard rooms are fair but outdated. The price is reflective of that. It is well worth the extra $10 a night to book the superior room. The standard rooms are very small but you can get them cheap on their web site. The hotel is right at the entrance to interstate 8 so it is really easy to get wherever you need, Sea world, Mission beach, La Jolla, ect ect. The staff here are always helpful, and there is a Restaurant, convenience store, and gas at the front of the hotel. I would stay here again if I can get the superior room. Parking is more than ample no matter what you drive. There is always security around night or day. The rooms are clean and I have never found a bug in any of our rooms. There are a lot of plants around the grounds so there are some creepy crawlers outside, but never in the rooms. The price seems to fluctuate dramatically during the year so check the prices before you go.

Room Tip: Always book one of the superior rooms.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
San Jose, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

from outside, it looks fine but inside it is worst. lots of rooms on properties but services are terrible. one lousy broken printer on lobby. I was told to go to Marriott's court yard to use their printer. the front desk girl even give me the look and said it's only two minutes walk down that way. they provided towels with stains. yes, towels with stains. the towels they provided were in worst condition as compare to towels I used for dry up my car after washing it. I have never ever see hotel towels with stains. it's freaking disgusting. I called the maid service for new towels and got voicemail. yes, voicemail for maid service. I then called front desk and asked for new towels, they sent new towels to my friend's room instead. my friend's room is next to my room and I called them from my room. after a long waiting for new towels, I call maid service again and got voicemail again. I then call front desk and the guy said ok but he called back 2 minutes later and said maid service already went home for the night so no one can bring my new towels. I ask when can someone bring me new clean towels, he said next morning at 7AM. My friend's room smell so bad that they abandoned the room in the middle of the night and came to my room to sleep. her room heater didn't even work when checked in. needless to say. the place is a dumpster.

Room Tip: stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011 via mobile

It's not the ritz but for $40 it was just what I needed! Great location, nice staff, super basic, but I'd come back especially in the summer so I could get in one of their awesome pools.

• Stayed December 2011

Been to Mission Valley Resort? Share your experiences!