“Exceptional Staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of San Diego Marriott Mission Valley

Save Saved
You added San Diego Marriott Mission Valley to your Saves list
San Diego Marriott Mission Valley
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8757 Rio San Diego Drive, San Diego, CA 92108 (Mission Valley / Hotel Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Stay three Save 15%
Ranked #67 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Hicksville, New York
“Exceptional Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Being in the service business, I'm more aware of exceptional customer service. Liza Lopez (Bar/Restaurant)and Taylor Yoder(Front Desk) represented Marriott exceptionally well. They had a bright & cheerful demeanor despite the fact that they were working through the weekend. They also went out of their way to ensure that we were satisfied with our stay multiple times as well as ensuring the we had adequate transportation to the airport.

The philosophy that "People do business with people they like" would influence me to return to Marriott Mission Valley!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Diego Marriott Mission Valley, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Your kind words are truly appreciated! We are very lucky to have Liza and Taylor as members of our exceptional team and we are overjoyed that their bright and cheerful demeanor made you feel welcome and well taken care of. We truly value your feedback and very much look forward to serving you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Turkish first
Santa Clarita
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Of all the cities I travel to for business, San Diego may be my favorite, and there are no shortage of excellent Marriott properties in the city (from the gaslamp district to the beaches and all points in between). I chose this particular Marriott this time for the convenience of its location and the price being much lower than those in the gaslamp. I've seen some comments about how this hotel is in the middle of nowhere, but really, Mission Valley is actually in the middle of everything. For business at any of the major universities (USD, UCSD, SDSU), the location couldn't be much better. There is a SD Trolley station just across the street. And it is a short drive down to the Gaslamp district, the Bay, and the airport. Additionally, Mission Valley is the shopping center of San Diego County (Fashion Valley Mall) and has some solid restaurants.
As far as the hotel itself, the staff could not have been friendlier. They have clearly been trained on customer service and it shows. This did go along way in taking some focus away from number of cosmetic issues that could be resolved with more routine maintenance.
For example, most of the doors in public areas are showing peeling paint and/or rust (if outside), some of the tile flooring is cracked. Within the room, the wooden handle on the sliding door was in poor shape and the screws that held it to the door were rusted. The drain in the bath/shower was fairly clogged. Additionally, the first room I was given had a very loud metallic rattling coming from the a/c unit (I was switched with no problem to a room that did not have the same problem). All-in-all, none of the issues I noted are severe, but combined, they show a lack of attention to detail.
On the positive side, the pool is much more a resort style pool than you would find at a business hotel. The gym is well equipped as well.
The concierge lounge is on the small side, but I don't suspect the hotel attracts a huge number of Gold and/or Platinum MR members. As each time I was in the lounge, there was more than enough space. The breakfast was a little more basic than some larger lounges, but was decent. The most glaring omission was the lack of a refrigerator to keep the waters and other drinks cold. The lounge attendant informed me that the hotel has not gotten around to ordering it. Keeping beverages cold in large tub full of ice does not seem to be a good long-term solution.
I'm really on the edge of 3 or 4 stars, but the strength of service, great location and the relative ease with which many of the issues I raised can be fixed push me over to the 4 star rating.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Diego Marriott Mission Valley, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Thank you for sharing detailed feedback from your recent stay at the Marriott Mission Valley. Your comments, both positive and negative, aid us in maintaining and improving the overall guest experience. While we appreciate you bringing to our attention the areas that could use some maintenance, we are very glad that you enjoyed our convenient location, our friendly team members, swimming pool, and fitness center. We hope you will return to us in the future and allow us the opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Johns Creek, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

From the moment I checked in at the front desk with Khoa (who could teach a master class in customer service), to the evenings spent enjoying absolutely wonderful fare in the restaurant with Kristin, Mark, and the rest of this hotel's amazing restaurant staff, to the time I (reluctantly) checked out, I enjoyed every minute of my stay at the Marriott Mission Valley.

The rooms are exceptionally clean and well kept. I enjoyed spending each evening viewing the city lights from my room's balcony.

I particularly appreciated the restaurant, decorated tastefully in a contemporary fashion with both classical architectural features, such as tray ceilings and crown molding (for which I've grown fond from my stays in the South), and the smooth lines of contemporary furniture and decor. When my food arrived, the presentation, quality, and flavor were singularly unexpected. As with most hotel restaurants, the menu may not be a expansive as one may wish, but my experience here stands out as one of the rare exceptions of having chosen to dine in on multiple evenings, instead of venturing out to experience the "local" dining experiences.

Having just checked my total membership nights with Marriott-brand hotels in the US and Canada, I see I've currently stayed a total of 404 nights between 10/2011 and 10/2014 (this is my 2nd straight year at the Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite level). While I've responded a time or two to the Marriott emails requesting feedback (for which I have commented on both the exceptionally good and disappointingly bad), never have I been compelled by the level of service to write a review on any travel website -- until now. Marriott hotels are literally my home away from home and this is the one for which I'll be homesick. I look forward to returning when business brings me to San Diego again. Well done, my friends. Until next time.

- C. McCormick

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Diego Marriott Mission Valley, responded to this review, 1 week ago
What a pleasure it is to read your review of our hotel. Our team's goal is to provide the most comfortable and welcoming experience possible for all of our guests, and we appreciate nothing more than to receive this type of positive feedback. We are thrilled that you enjoyed everything from your check-in to the view from your guest room and the decor of our restaurant. Rest assured that your kind words regarding Khoa, Kristin, and Mark will be passed along. Being such an experienced traveler and also a loyal Marriott guest, we are truly honored to have stood out so exceptionally to you and we sincerely look forward to serving you again.
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed at this hotel last weekend and found all my expectations met!

What I like about this property:
1. The staff are all very hospitable & provide great customer service;
2. Hot & Cold Breakfast Buffet very adequate w/ many choices;
3. The beds are very comfortable; room & bathroom very clean;
4. Concierge Floor w/ Concierge Lounge;
5. Exclusive Parking for Marriott Elite Members.
6. Convenient Location to nearby attractions; easy access to trolley.

What I am not so excited about this hotel:
- You need to pay for parking. I am not so excited about this, but it is understandable for San Diego. However, it would be nice if the Elite Members get free parking.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
We appreciate you taking the time to share feedback from your recent stay at our hotel as it allows us to maintain and improve our guest services. We are overjoyed that we were able to meet all of your expectations from our hospitable team members, to our breakfast buffet and convenient proximity to exciting attractions and the trolley. Should your travels bring you back to San Diego, we would love the opportunity to serve you again.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

First let me say that I live in LA and have been visiting SD regularly for over 20 years. I've stayed in all areas, from downtown on the bay, Harbor Island, near Mission Bay, andthe Hotel Circle and Mission Valley area. It just depends on my budget at the time, length of stay, specific plans. This trip I wanted a full service hotel that would not cost a bundle for 3 nights. The view wasn't important and I have a car so would be driving everywhere - and I know my way around. And I wanted a nice pool area. The Marriott Mission Valley was a perfect choice. Everyone working at the hotel was top notch - from the valet guys at check in who helped with my luggage, to the front desk, housekeeping to the bar/restaurant personnel. All were friendly, professional and efficient.

Room was a nice size and well decorated. I had requested extra feather pillows which were there when I arrived. When I requested extra towels they appeared promptly. Room had a little fridge that came in handy. Room was very clean and housekeeping kept it that way. Loved the in-room toiletries. I was amazed at how quiet the room was - especially on Saturday night when there was a big crowd for the Chargers game the next day. Pool was wonderful and complimentary laundry came in handy when I had a mishap at the beach and needed to wash some clothes. Location is very good - just a few minutes to Balboa Park, Old Town or downtown. Trolley stop was also very close if you don't want to drive. Plenty of restaurants a short drive away. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
Green Features: Hotel room notices on water conservation/drought - regarding reuse of towels and changing of sheets.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing a detailed review of our hotel! As a regular visitor to San Diego, we are excited that you enjoyed our convenient location to many attractions, prompt guest services, and friendly, professional and efficient team members from various departments. We appreciate your kind words and look forward to hosting you again in the future!
Chandler, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed here for a weekend while attending a game at the Chargers Stadium. Right next to a shopping center with restaurants, and easy walking distance to the stadium to avoid the numertous parking hassles associated with getting to the game. Rooms are very well kept, the pool area is fantastic and the staff is incredibly nice and attentive. Only disappointment is the size of the beds, you get 2 full beds in a room with 2 beds rather than queens. Disappointing since a "lesser" brand like the Fairfield Inn gives me queens in a smaller room type, expected a little more from the Mariott branded type. Other than that it is very nice and comfortable, all things I expect when staying at a Marriott.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
We appreciate you sharing feedback from your recent stay at our hotel! Positive and negative comments are an important tool that aid us in maintaining and improving our guest services. Although we are disappointed that the sizes of your beds were inadequate, we are excited that you enjoyed our proximity to Chargers Stadium, the swimming pool, and our attentive team members. We hope you will give us the opportunity to host you again in the future so that we may exceed your expectations!
North Hills
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The San Diego Marriott at Mission Valley is very nice. A group of us were there for business and it worked out very well. I had a very nice room on the 10th floor, next to the elevator, which I didn't hear at all. The bar has lots of room and the food was pretty good. The staff was friendly and very helpful.

Just so you know ahead of time: There is an $18 a day self-park or a $22 a day valet fee and there is a daily fee of almost $10 for Wi-Fi.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing feedback from your recent stay at our hotel! We are overjoyed that you enjoyed your room, our bar area, and our friendly and helpful team members. We hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again in the future should your travels bring you back to San Diego.

Been to San Diego Marriott Mission Valley? Share your experiences!