“Horrible place to stay” 1 of 5 stars
Review of San Diego Marriott Mission Valley

Save Saved
You added San Diego Marriott Mission Valley to your Saves list
San Diego Marriott Mission Valley
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8757 Rio San Diego Drive, San Diego, CA 92108 (Mission Valley / Hotel Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #60 of 269 hotels in San Diego
phoenix
“Horrible place to stay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This is being put here because Sheraton refuses to let me put the review on their website. I would avoid this hotel.
This will be my second attempt to write my review, my first one was not published for reasons you can read below.
We were given this hotel by Comic Con. All the hotels in San Diego area block out rooms for this event.
First review was written on my 2 day of a 4 day stay.
First day
Room appeared to be clean, in room safe didn't work. We went to the beach came back and my daughter took a shower, when she opened the door the smoke alarm went off. I called the front desk and they asked if someone had showered that the steam from the shower sets the alarm off. Wow, they gave us a room that has issues and they KNEW about it. Nice young man came up to fix the safe, they completely didn't understand that I didn't lock myself out that it wouldn't set at all. He couldn't fix it. But would have maintained come the next day and fix it. The next day I got my daughters up to take them to Comic Con (who the room was secured thur) and of course the smoke detector goes off all 3 times we use the shower. We left the room around 11. Came back around 3 and our room was not clean, safe still didn't work. Called the front desk and they were sending someone up to fix safe...again. Maid knocked on the door told her we would be leaving in a few minutes but she didn't understand because she spoke NO ENGLISH. Called the front desk and they said they would relay the message. We got back later that night and I called the front desk about the safe and smoke detector. Nice lady came up and determined the safe needed a battery, again they completely didn't understand that I didn't lock myself out that it wouldn't accept the final digit to lock it. Discussed the smoke detector and I explained it was unacceptable that we had to endure the noise each time someone took a shower. I suggested we bag it, she sent up ice bags and I taped off the alarm facing the bathroom door. It was fixed.
Next day, left around 11:30 for Comic Con, got back at 5:03, room was not clean but safe was working and new smoke detector. I called down to the front desk and they said they would have it cleaned. We left to go back to Con came home around 8 and the room was clean. Later that night I tried to log onto the internet. It asked for my room number and notified me I would be charged $9.95 per day. After I got logged on I noticed the network was not secure. Called the front desk and got a man with horrible customer service skills
who tried to treat me like a moron and said I didn't know what I was doing. (a) anytime they ask for a room number its for a reason (b) I took a screen print of the page that shows the network was unsecured. But he just wanted to argue with me.
Who puts people in a room that they KNOW the smoke detector is bad? Who argues with a customer who is concerned about the security of the information at a hotel? Who can manage employees to get them to do their job, like cleaning a room? Check out is 11, we were out of the room by 11 or 11:30. I can not recomment this hotel

Room Tip: book some where else

145 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

Only complaint is as much as we spent on 4 nights they should offer free parking and free breakfast, other than that it's a good hotel. It has a good amount of nearby stores and mall is not too far. The pool is fresh, clean, we got fresh towels everyday, beds were comfortable, all in all great stay.

• Stayed July 2014
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Diego Marriott Mission Valley, responded to this review, yesterday
Thank you for taking the time to share a review! We appreciate your honest feedback on our pricing and we will be sure to pass your comments on to management. We are glad to know that you enjoyed our location near the mall, the pool area, and comfortable beds. We hope to have the chance to serve you again in the future, should your travels bring you back to San Diego.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Great location and excellent service! Trina from the front desk was so nice and helpful our room was clean and really nice. I will definitely stay here next time the only complaint I had was that I didn't have anything to complain about.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay at the San Diego Marriott Mission Valley! Thank you for your positive comments on the great location, our excellent service, and your clean and comfortable rooms. We look forward to passing your positive comments along. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Stayed here as a business trip and did not disappoint – rooms are very nice, property in great shape and ease to get to/from downtown if not traveling during rush hour. Nice pool area and was extensively used by hotel guests during our stay – on site self-park close to the hotel $18/day) or you can pay to Valet. Gym was a little small for the size of the hotel and there are no restaurants within walking distance from the hotel so you will need a car – there is a very nice restaurant/bar on property which was uses by the guests.

Rooms – bed was comfortable and large pillows. Bathroom was standard tub/shower combo with ample hot water. Did not use wifi as charged if not a Marriott preferred member. Check in/out easy and front desk staff extremely accommodating. Will stay here again when in town and cannot get good room rates downtown San Diego.

Tip – if having to go downtown San Diego, we used some side streets (turned on Washington St. off of Highway) and missed the rush-hour traffic as we worked our way into the city and along the water. Also found numerous restaurants in some very trendy places along the way.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Diego Marriott Mission Valley, responded to this review, 2 days ago
We are so pleased to know that you enjoyed your experience at the San Diego Marriott Mission Valley! Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We appreciate your positive comments on everything from our nice rooms, to our location, to our dining options. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, should your travels bring you back to San Diego.
Manhattan Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I stayed here on business as it was close to my meeting location. I was very pleased with the excellent service from check-in to check-out. The front desk agent who checked me in couldn't have been nicer and was extremely accommodating in finding me a room that met all my needs. The room was quiet, clean and roomy. Plenty of space for my laptop and paperwork. The bed was super-comfortable. They have a very nice concierge lounge which was a pleasant surprise.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing the San Diego Marriott Mission Valley! We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed the excellent service throughout your stay. We appreciate your positive comments on the accommodations, the clean and spacious room, and our concierge lounge. We look forward to passing along your kind comments. We appreciate the time you have taken to share a review and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My family stayed here with my daughters soccer team. The girls had a lot of fun. The pool is nice and spacious. There was a small scavenger hunt the girls participated in that was put on by the hotel. They really loved that. Also, one of the employees brought complementary fruit around for snacking. The hotel also left out complementary fruit punch and fruit infused water. This was great since it was so hot outside. All the employees were very nice and professional.

Only downfall was we had 4 people and requested the 2 doubles, but got the King with a day bed. We were kinda cramped. Our reservation did warn us of this though, and I expected it since we booked last minute. I was really happy that the hotel gave us complementary parking since they could not accommodate our request. It was really nice of them to do that.

The hotel also has a shopping mall and Starbucks within a 15 minute walk.

I would highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: I would simply recommend to book early.
Green Features: I think it is good if hotels have environmental friendly practices. I was not thinking about them during my stay however.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Diego Marriott Mission Valley, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We are so glad that the girls had fun with the scavenger hunt and that you all enjoyed the refreshments. Thank you for the kind words about our staff and location as well, and for your understanding of our room availability. We hope to have a chance to host you in San Diego again soon!

Best regards,
Diamond Bar, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My family and I went there on July 4th weekend. This was my second time staying at this hotel. The reason why I went back was because I had such a good experience last time I was there. Clean room, friendly staff and a nice concierge lounge. Unfortunately the lounge was closed both days we were there this time (instead they gave us a breakfast coupon for 2). The first time I was there as a Gold elite Marriott member, they offered me extra points and free parking because they were unable to offer me a room upgrade. This time, not so lucky...none of that was given even when asked. I guess I should not complain but appreciate the extraordinary experience I had the previous time.

I wanted to mention Jorge who served at the restaurant during breakfast was very friendly and attentive.

Room Tip: Higher floor for a better view
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Diego Marriott Mission Valley, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Hi Rose,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us on TripAdvisor - we sincerely appreciate your kind words about our hotel and staff. We're glad Jorge was able to make your breakfast more enjoyable.

Your satisfaction is a priority to us, and we apologize for being unable to meet your requested accommodations. Thank you for your honest feedback as it helps us to better serve you in the future. We hope to see you again soon!

Best Regards,
San Diego Marriott Mission Valley

Been to San Diego Marriott Mission Valley? Share your experiences!