“Best hotel in San Diego” 5 of 5 stars
Review of San Diego Marriott Mission Valley

Save Saved
You added San Diego Marriott Mission Valley to your Saves list
San Diego Marriott Mission Valley
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8757 Rio San Diego Drive, San Diego, CA 92108 (Mission Valley / Hotel Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay three Save 15%
Ranked #71 of 270 hotels in San Diego
Jacksonville
“Best hotel in San Diego”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I stayed here exclusively for almost two years. For some reason my previous rating did not post so I am doing it again. The hotel is well located near shops, restaurants, and near the Chargers stadium. It is only about a 15 minute drive from downtown and the airport.

The hotel is clean and was recently remodeled, so it's like a new hotel. What made this hotel so special to me was the staff. They really went out of their way to know me by name. Two of the mangers (Ray and Eric) also go out of their way to satisfy customers.

No matter where my future travels in San Diego might take me, I will go out of my way to stay at this Marriott property.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Diego Marriott Mission Valley, responded to this review, 5 days ago
We are so glad to hear that you have had a wonderful experience at our hotel! Thank you for taking the time to offer us your positive feedback. We are thrilled to hear you were able to utilize the local San Diego area. Thank you for your comments on Ray, Eric, and the rest of our staff. We love to hear that they helped make your stay so special. We very much appreciate your loyalty to the San Diego Marriott Mission Valley and hope to be able to serve you again in the future!

114 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

As a recent guest of CBS during the NCAA tournament, I had the pleasure of staying at the Marriott Mission Valley and I wish to commend all of the staff and especially Kelly Burton, for wonderful service and attention to my every need. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Phyllis Goodman, Tucson, AZ.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Diego Marriott Mission Valley, responded to this review, 6 days ago
We are thrilled to hear that you have enjoyed your experience at the San Diego Marriott Mission Valley! Thank you for your comments on our wonderful staff. We are glad to know that Kelly and the rest of our team took such good care of you. We appreciate your recommendation and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future, should your travels bring you back to San Diego.
Shelby Twp
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was really happy with this hotel I recommend anyone to stay here great service. I always stay at the Marriott's and always have a great experience they are my # one hotel I cant see my self anywhere else.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Skoosh

Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Diego Marriott Mission Valley, responded to this review, 1 week ago
We are thrilled to hear that you have enjoyed your experience at the San Diego Marriott Mission Valley! Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We appreciate your recommendation and your loyalty to the Marriott brand. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future!
Martindale, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Met my expectations from a big full service hotel but I found the staff to be much more friendly with their guests, which made this big hotel feel a bit more like a boutique hotel. Value of the room was good and the food/service at the restaurant/bar was very good. Menu included a variety of price points.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Diego Marriott Mission Valley, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
We are so grateful for the time you have taken to offer a review of the San Diego Marriott Mission Valley! Thank you for your positive feedback on the value of the room, the dining options, and our friendly staff. We are very proud of our guest services. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future!
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Sorry for the long post - I view writing as a diversion from stress..

Let me begin this tale with some background. I do travel a good deal for both work and family. In the old days I would have said work and pleasure, but traveling (the process of getting from one place to another) is rarely pleasurable. Now I am not a road warrior like some people I know. I travel about 30 to 60 days a year. I work for a big Company and my travels include both domestic and foreign locations.

Over the years I have acquired many travels lessons and stories. When it comes to hotels I have learned the value of sticking with one chain. Staying with one chain allows you to accumulate points quicker and achieve elite status levels quicker. Points and status bring you freebies - free breakfast, free internet, and eventually free nights.

Over the last several years I chose Marriott as my chain of choice. They seemed to have hotels near where I was visiting that were well priced and had the amenities that I wanted. I am based in Texas but have family in California and Massachusetts. My brother and my daughter have worked for Marriott hotels over the years. I always felt that the level of customer service was good at the Marriott hotels. Front desk personnel, maids, and kitchen and restaurant staff were quick with the hello, welcome back, and thank you. These are the basics of good customer service that I expect from a hotel. In general, travel is a stressful endeavor and I want to hear these nice words when I get to my hotel.

Now for the real story. There are times in your life when you need more than this level of service. My family has gone through a difficult few months. My dad passed in December after a battle with lung cancer. It was a difficult time for several months. Our oldest daughter was due in January with out first grand baby and we were looking forward to an exciting change in our lives. The cycle of life brings with it a roller coaster of emotions.

Since our daughter lives in California, we booked a short stay ( 5 nights ) at a local Marriott. We have stayed at this particular hotel several times over the past few years. It is close to our daughter's home and we like the hotel. Between my wife and I, and other family members, we have probably stayed 30 to 60 nights at this hotel. We are not difficult customers. We don't have a lot of special needs. Give us a clean room, and maybe some extra hangars (my wife is not a light packer) and we are happy. We order room service; we order the ridiculously expensive in room movies; we fit the ideal hotel customer profile.

As many parents know the birth of a child is chock full of risks - for both the child and the mom. In our case the birth went smoothly for both mom and child. Unfortunately our grand daughter quickly developed a number of issues. I won't go into details, but she was quickly admitted to the neonatal ICU. We had a rough time. On the hotel front, we explained our situation to the front desk and asked them to extend our stay 7 days. This is where the trouble started and this is where the customer service did not elevate to a higher level. The first response from the front desk clerk was that she could extend us 3 nights but could not guarantee anything beyond that time, since the hotel was fully booked. She agreed to keep our room at the same rate for these 3 nights. She also said that she would see what she could do about further extending our stay. I thought that this was fine.

The front desk clerk did call me later and said that she was able to extend me for 2 additional nights, but that since the hotel was filled she would have to increase my room rate about 50%. She said that this was a lower rate than the current booking rate and was the best she could do. I was not happy and I expressed this to her. We were on our way to the hospital and I was in no mood for a negotiation.

The following day I went down to the front desk and asked to speak with a manager. I explained the situation. I was stressed and in no mood for her lack of compassion. She reiterated what I had heard on the phone and then proceeded to lower the rate for my last 2 days by $20. Really..that is all she could do? She stated that she had a big conference coming to the hotel and the hotel was overbooked and there was nothing she could do. I told her to comp the parking for the stay to offset my increased costs for the last 2 days..no she explained, that is run by a 3rd party. I didn't care. I wanted something more than the " thanks for coming", "have a nice day". I was disappointed and angry. Where was the higher level of customer service? No delighting the customer! No "let me make this situation easier for you by doing something nice..."

Eventually she agreed to keep our room rate flat for the remaining 2 days. I told her that if should could not extend my stay, that I would appreciate it if she could check for other local Marriott's so that we would not be caught without a room. She said that she would keep checking to see if she could extend our stay and if not would look at other Marriott's in the area.

I checked back with her the next morning to see if anything had opened up. It had not. I asked her if she was able to book me a nearby hotel and she stated that she had checked a few hotels in the area and nothing was available. Now I knew this was not true. I had checked online earlier that morning and had found a room at the Marriott that she said she had checked. I popped open my iPad at the desk and booked the room at the hotel that she told me was full. She said that when she checked it, it was full. I told her how disappointed I was with the situation and left.

On the morning of checking out of the hotel, my wife received a call from the manager and was told that things had changed and we could stay in our room for the final 2 days of our stay and that the rate would stay the same. I am not sure what happened here. We got what we wanted, but somehow I still don't feel very satisfied.

There were other staffers at this Marriott that were great: The staff at the lobby bar that saw that I had been working for a few hours and brought me a nice glass of ice water without asking; the waiter at breakfast that was very efficient and still chatty (but not too much).

So back to my original questions, what is good hotel customer service and what is not? Maybe I am asking too much, but I am looking for more than the "hellos, welcome back (insert name here), let me help you with that". I want to be surprised. I want people to "really listen" to my situation and try to help me when I need it. Maybe I am asking for to much in this low cost, outsourced, high pressured world. Maybe I should try a Doubletree hotel, at least I will get a cookie!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Rebecca A, Guest Service Supervisor at San Diego Marriott Mission Valley, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank you for writing an honest review of the San Diego Marriott Mission Valley! Our apologies for the sub-standard experience you had staying at our hotel. We strive to provide the most brilliant service. Your story is a reminder that we need to rise above the basics of good customer service even more so during difficult situations like yours.We hope to continue to be your hotel of choice when visiting San Diego and welcome the opportunity to redeem ourselves in your eyes.
Tustin, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was a mixed stay. The positives were the desk staff were quite attentive to us. The beds were very comfy and the room was spacious. Negatives were we had to call down 3 times for various things. One was to get sheets for the fold out bed that should have been in the closet. We had to call to get a towel for our son and again for a hair dryer. These were mild annoyances at best. The hotel compensated us with free parking as a result. Food was good in the restaurant and the servers were friendly but slow if we didn't order the buffet.

Stayed March 2014
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Diego Marriott Mission Valley, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of your stay at the San Diego Marriott Mission Valley! We appreciate your honest feedback concerning the room amenities. Your feedback is essential to allow us to continue to improve the guest experience. We are glad to hear that our staff was able to offer a parking compensation and you found the staff to be friendly and helpful. We hope you will consider joining us in the future so we may have the opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

How can you give a Marriott 5 stars? I mean, it's just a Marriott. Here's how; We're having breakfast and the GM, Eric stops by our table. Well, he spends 30 minutes with us giving us tips and suggestions for our week long trip up the coast. He brought us a list he had prepared for his friends so we re-organized 4 days of travel that we had spent weeks planning. Eric was personable, friendly and helpful. Management styles trickle down to all employees and it shows. Friendly, helpful employees with a great attitude. Everyone can give you a clean room and nice landscaping, but not everyone can make you feel that welcomed.

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you for writing a review of the San Diego Marriott Mission Valley! We appreciate your detailed feedback as it is a valuable tool in making our hotel offer the best guest experience possible. We are happy to hear that you found the suggestions offered by our staff to be both helpful and useful. We take great pride in customer service so we are especially pleased to hear that you found the entirety of our staff to be friendly, helpful, positive and welcoming. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future to offer you another enjoyable stay that exceeds your expectations!

Been to San Diego Marriott Mission Valley? Share your experiences!