“Nice Pleasure Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Nice Pleasure Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2005

My wife and I stayed here from September 1-5 for an extended weekend in San Diego. I had the Wild @ Work Package which included breakfast, bayview room, free parking, and a discount on restaurants (which we didn't use)

We arrived late from the East Coast on the 1st and were given a balcony room on a high floor in the North Tower, as I requested. We were very hungry, but no restaurants were open (it was about 10 pm), so we had to order room service. It was pricey, but not ridiculous for room service.

The room was clean and nicely decorated. However, as we went to bed I noted that it had a pass through door to the next room, and the person next door was clearly watching TV. It was very loud. The elevator was also close by and you could hear a 'whooshing' sound.

The next morning, I went to the front and desk and asked for a quieter room. They mentioned that about half the rooms had pass throughs, but found me one on the 16th floor that did not and was slightly further away from the elevator. We set up there and that room was much quieter. I also liked that the beds faced the open balcony, so you could actually see the Harbor while lying down. The rooms have refridgerators which is a nice touch, also--there is a grocery store (Ralph's) two blocks from the Convention Center to buy soda/water at.

I also announced a few minor cleanliness issues--some dust accumulate, etc. Nothing major. The decor in the rooms is modern and fresh and looks fairly new, as does the North Tower lobby (where there is a fairly bad lounge singer on weekend nights).

Two problems areas: Elevators and parking. I'm not sure if all the elevators were working, but in peak times the waits could be bothersome...10 minutes or so and very crowded. Self parking was also a problem. I'm not a fan of valet parking and my wife and I like to go out and back a lot (plus self park was included), but space was pretty tight and at times we had to fight with other cars for spaces (like at the mall during Thanksgiving shopping week). Perhaps when the hotel is less busy, it isn't a problem. Also, you have to give your room number and name to the attendant and wait while they look it up (problematic if you change rooms like we did the first night)--I wish they would install a device where you can just insert your room key and go. That would be much simpler and faster.

Breakfast each morning was very high quality. The package included the full buffet which featured the standard Marriott omelette and waffle bars, among other goodies. However, since it was Labor Day weekend it was very crowded. Servers were friendly and trying hard, but I don't there were enough to handle the crowd. Wait time was around 15 mins for 2 people, plus a decent sized wait up at the buffet. Still, I'm a picky eater but the food was excellent and I would recommend this, especially if you have a package. We didn't eat at the other restaurants because of all the options around San Diego.

The location of the hotel is fanstastic...adjacent to a board walk that includes the Hyatt and Seaport village. Its an easy walk down to the USS Midway, which by the way was an outstanding attraction. Its also just a short stroll over to the Gaslamp Quarter, but the setting is nicer than the hotels there because its a little more sedate and relaxed setting. The grounds of the hotel are quite nice and tropical. There is a large pool, but as another reviewer noted it was quite busy with kids during the day. At night it was very nice (though San Deigo weather makes it a little chilly). The jacuzzi was crowded at night (they could use a larger one) and a bit too hot for my tastes, but my wife liked it.

Overall, this is a very nice hotel. We did look around the city at other hotels and ended up being very happy we went with the Marriott Marina. We were also considering the Gaslamp Marriott which is only a few blocks away, but that new property is very 'chic' and didn't strike us as anything special. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel despite a few minor flaws. The staff is attentive and friendly, location is fantastic, and rooms have great views and are nicely decorated in the North Tower. Hopefully, we will be back.

• Stayed September 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (826)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2005

We stayed at the Marriott San Diego Hotel and Marina August 31 - September 5, 2005 for a pleasure trip.

The public areas of the north tower are newly renovated, which is very apparent when you compare it to the south tower. Most rooms in the north tower have balconies, so it’s the tower to stay in if you can.

We had a harbor view room, which was reasonably nice, but there were some major cleanliness issues which were surprising for a Marriott and quite a pain to resolve. The issues ranged from dried toothpaste residue on the bathroom faucet, short black hairs on toilet, dried filth on the bathroom floor grout, dirty fingerprints on the bathroom door and mirrors, a build up of hair and dust balls on the carpet next to the bedside table, and hairs on the sheets (honestly!). It took several calls to the front desk to get these issues resolved, and even after multiple attempts, the room was not clean to our satisfaction (and I don't think our expectations are unreasonably high). For our trouble, they gave us $50 off, which I thought was a bit shoddy.

We also had a few billing issues, which have yet to be resolved as I write this, namely the fact that they have apparently been unable to apply a 15% discount on food items, which was supposed to be included in our package price.

The staff was pleasant for the most part. The Marriott Elite concierge lounge is located on the 24th floor of the un-renovated north tower. Typical of Marriott, it was nothing spectacular, but it did offer honor bar and snacks. Strangely, there is no bathroom on the floor of the lounge.

The pool area is great and expansive, with a kids' pool and larger adult pool with waterfalls and waitress service. We were there during Labor Day weekend, so the pool area was VERY busy (getting a lounge chair after noon was virtually impossible) and the pool was full of screaming, splashing kids, but it was pleasant during the weekdays before all the weekend guests arrived.

Parking isn't cheap so it's a good idea to look for a package that includes it. The hotel location is great and overall, it was a reasonably good experience. I would stay there again if they dealt with the cleanliness issues.

• Stayed September 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2005

Planned a night at the Marriott Marina San Diego to celebrate our anniversary. As I waited in a very short line to check in I was greeted and offered a beverage from a nearby table with fresh lemonade, water, and punch. I was directed to the next desk agent. She greeted me and congratulated me on my anniversary. I am a Marriott Silver Elite member and they upgraded me to a balcony room 14th floor harbor view. Comped me a movie and sent a bottle of champagne to the room from the Manager. Molly's is great and you can enjoy DINING and not just eating. Room was more than ample size and very clean. Bed was great! No noise problems at all. Only suggestion - trays left in hallways from room service the night before - left too long. Try it - you will like it.

• Stayed August 2005
new zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2005

The Marriot was great and far surpassed our expectations from the service to the location. We had requested two adjoining rooms bayside for us and our 2 teens and ended up with a city view but it wasn't an issue for the short time we were actually in our rooms. The rooms were spotless as were the bathrooms, the beds were feathered and very comfortable, all in all the hotel was very hard to beat. The pools were open until 11.00pm which our boys thought was great. A short walk out the back of the hotel and we were on the marina with numerous cafes, restaurants and shops. The boys hired bikes from the hotel at $12 per half hour and had a great time riding around the promade and adjoining park. It was only a 15 min walk to the Horton Plaza. Overall a great stay and we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2005

This was a great hotel. We had a corner room with windows across two walls that looked towards the city. Service was wonderful and everyone was very nice. Pool and outdoor areas were very nice. Would highly recommend this hotel for your stay.

• Stayed June 2005
Narragansett, RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2005

Just spent a delightful week at this prime waterfront location, I love Marriots - they get it right: top notch service, quality linens, etc... Of course the food's pricey - It's on the waterfront in a highly desirable location! But whatever you do: Stay in the North Tower... They've all got balconies. Only the suites in the South Tower has 'em... Oh and bring binoculars... the view will have you gawking at sailboats all day. They have 6 local beers from local breweries on tap (might I suggest the "Hop Juice")
You're never more that a $10 cab ride from anywhere... Enjoy!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2005

I just spent five nights at this modern hotel while attending a convention at the San Diego Convention Center. The rooms are a bit larger than the usual downtown hotel and on the harbor side of the hotel they each have a balcony with a nice view of Coronado across the bay and the yacht harbor below. The desk was convenient for working with cable access available. My room had a safe large enough for my laptop computer. The North Tower contains the breakfast restaurant (Las Cascadas) which has an excellent breakfast buffet, and the lunch/dinner restaurant (the Yacht Harbor) with outdoor and indoor eating. By my third breakfast, the restaurant staff knew me and vice versa. I felt the hotel staff was friendly and proud of this beautiful hotel. One waiter was very rude on one occasion, and I reported this incident to the restaurant manager, who sincerely apologized and went out of her way to be extra nice to me throughout the rest of the stay. Apology accepted! I ordered room service one night and it arrived in just 20 minutes. The hotel is just a five minute walk to the Convention Center. Here is a tip to save a minute or two getting there. When wallking to the Convention Center, instead of walking out the front door of the hotel and turning right, instead, go almost to the end of the lobby on the South Tower side (near Starbuck's), and then take the escalator down to the parking lot and from there the Convention Center is a few feet away. This might not sound like a shortcut, but it is. The Gaslight District is walking distance away from the hotel - about eight blocks. This hotel is the closest hotel to the SD Convention Center and there are many places in the hotel lobby to meet informally with other conventioneers. The price was a bit steep at $255 per night plus taxes, but this is a clean, professional, spacious, and architecturally attractive hotel.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business

Been to San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina? Share your experiences!