“Luxurious hotel for conventioneers; spotty service you pay thru the nose for” 4 of 5 stars
Review of San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina

Ranked #53 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cherry Hill, NJ
“Luxurious hotel for conventioneers; spotty service you pay thru the nose for”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

I stayed at a Bay front balcony room for seval nights and I could not have been more pleased with the view or the space of the room. It was a working vacation and I thought the noise levels from the pool below would be a distraction; it wasn't. The sliding door was excellently noise proof.

I enjoyed the amenities although I was pretty disappointed there was no bathtub. Oh well. I guess this hotel really is meant for conventioneers. But the location on the marina is unbeatable nd the hotel is walking distance to whatever you want ( Gaslamp, Seaport Village, marina).

Detriments: Self parking is confusing; there are no signs that direct you and there is nobody to answer our questions. The drinks at the Tequila lounge are superb; the food is not. I ordered a surf n turf and was astonished at what they label meat. I wouldn't serve it to my dog.

Worst is the room service. Avoid it at all costs. I picked up the phone to order a sandwich. The person on the other end said okay and was bout to hang up! I alerted her, asking Don't you want to know which sandwich I want? She finally did and I got my correct sandwich delivered to my room. Little did I realize there was an eight (8) dollar service charge. That sandwich cost me $22. Greed. Pure and simple greed.

The hotel promised there woud be a bill under my door on check out day. There was none. So guess ho had to go downstairs and wait in a hundred person line t the front desk for his bill? You guessed it. Me.

Overall, I would return, if only for the view. I'll ember to not order anything edible from the hotel, lest thy charge me $8 for "convenience."

Note to hotel: there is a limit to what your customers will pay for convenient service. And you dance all over it.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (827)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hazel Park, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

Loved it! I was in town for a few days for a conference next door and this hotel was wonderful. The rooms were very comfortable. I had a balcony which looked out over the pool and the marina. The staff was always friendly and helpful. The noise level was almost non-existent. I would definitely stay here again! The location is ideal, with a trolley stop out front for a tour which was so convenient!

Room Tip: I enjoyed looking out over the pool and marina = beautiful!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Bay Area, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

The rooms were fine and the grounds were quite nice (though seemed a bit small for the number of rooms). However, we found the service to be seriously deficient in some ways, which I'll describe...

When we arrived on a Friday evening, the check-in line was huge, with about two dozen people waiting in line to check in! The clerk said that it had been like that most of the day. They should have recognized that more check-in clerks were very much needed. (Maybe pull one of the two clerks out of the "special member check-in" section, which had no one waiting at all?)

Whenever we tried to drop off our car out front for valet parking, the valets seemed disorganized and confused. A more organized system would improve things.

Our room did not have a spare roll of toilet paper when we checked in. The next day after cleaning, it still did not, and we were nearly out of tissues too. When we ran out of TP and tissues that evening, we called the front desk to send us some more, and they said it would be "right up". A half hour later, when we wanted to go to bed, we found the maid's closet down the hall and got a roll ourselves, then called again to say "never mind" and put out the "do not disturb" sign. Fifteen minutes after that, someone knocked on our door (despite the sign and our second call) to hand us some toilet paper. Not the best situation. Why can't housekeeping manage to do their most important job, keeping the room supplied with toilet paper???

On the plus side, the big buffet breakfast was excellent for the price, and the service there was really excellent every morning.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Exec0410, Executive Assistant at San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
I do really appreciate that you chose our hotel for your recent visit to San Diego. I am truly sorry that you experienced a problem with your room not being properly stocked. I have forwarded this information to our Director of Services so that he can review it with our Housekeeping Team. I value your time and apologize that on this occasion we did not react quicker to your request but also that you had to make the call in the first place. It is my intention to prevent this from happening again to you and our future guests. I was delighted to hear that after all that you were able to enjoy breakfast in Marina Kitchen. I hope that your travels will bring you back to San Diego and our hotel for a stay in the future.

Kind regards,

Jeanine Spencer
Executive Assistant
Bern, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

The Marriott Marquis is in a great location, and many rooms offer sea views. I would find it ideal for business conferences, as it has all you need for a conference but still gives you somewhat of a vacation feel with the beautiful gardens and pools.

The only downside when we were there is that we went on a family trip over Memorial Day weekend, and it was really, really crowded. It was so busy, we even had some of our stuff stolen, which of course ruined it for us. But (I presume) that's not the hotel's fault.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

This was our second stay at this hotel. Hotel staff is very friendly and courteous. They appear genuinely happy to work there. We enjoy the location ( seaport village) and the room with a great city view. Pool is gorgeous and tropical and the room was very clean and modern. I would have given 5 stars but we had a very annoying experience with a male barista at the Starbucks located in the hotel. We also got charged twice for overnight parking.. It was a mistake and the hotel corrected it immediately. No fault of theirs.. We exited through a parking gate that charged us the second amount, confusing parking structure..anyway, lovely place. We will be back again but will visit the Starbucks outside of hotel next visit. :)

Room Tip: City view is very pretty. Had a marina view on a different trip also, both are equally pleasing.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

I was overwhelmed when I arrived at this Marriott by its size. I arrived the day Comic Con was ending and it was somewhat crazy. The next day and for the next 7 days it was a large hotel in size but didnt feel so large in any areas of the hotel. The restaurant staff in Marina Kitchen, Roy's and Tiki were excellent as was the Sales team at the hotel. Actually so was the front desk, bellman, valet parking housekeeping. You cant beat the bay views. Centrally located marina area.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony facing the bay.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Woodland Hills, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Stayed at this hotel the first night of Comicon a couple of weeks ago. The hotel was really nice. Comfortable beds, spacious rooms and a very nice view of the bay. It is right across the street from the train station and Petco Park. You are also a block away from the Gaslamp District. The hotel itself has a few restaurants (including Roy's) a Starbucks and a bakery. The pool looked very inviting as well (although i did not get a chance to use it). If you are attending an event at the convention center, this hotel is ideal as it is right next door. Of course this being during comicon it was not unusal to see Wonder Woman and Iron Man saying a quick "hello" in the elevator....

Room Tip: Since the hotel is on the bay, try to get an Ocean view and ask for a high floor room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Been to San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina? Share your experiences!