“Follow up to bug review...” 4 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast for Two
Ranked #23 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
westlake village, ca
“Follow up to bug review...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

Have a room reserved for the night, and somewhat concerned upon reading the Aug 22 review regarding bed bugs. I fully realize that bed bugs are a universal issue, and occur in hotels of all levels...high end hotels can have them as easily as the lower end. The real issue is how the hotels deal with it. I called the Hyatt immediately, and was treated with respect regarding my concerns. The manager Ariel (sp?) spent over 20 minutes with me on the phone, discussing what the hotel does in an effort to keep the bed bug issue at bay. He could not have been more professional or helpfu, and offered to do whatever he could to ease my concerns. Even after I told him I had booked through Priceline, he continued to treat my concerns with the same dignity. Unfortunately, bed bugs are a real problem, and are not going away anytime soon. What is important is the hotels not stick their heads in the sand and deny there is any issue. The reponsibility also lies as much with the customers as it does the hotel...we have to check the rooms too, and it can't hurt to contact the hotel prior to your stay to find out how proactive they are. That said, I feel much more comfortable about my stay...and appreciate very much the professional manner in which I was treated.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (805)
  • Korean first
Huntington Beach, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

We booked this hotel on Priceline for $100 - what a deal. We were upgraded to a bay view room. The windows stretched from floor to ceiling which made the view amazing. The room also had high ceilings which made it feel more spacious. The only major drawback is that parking costs $24 a day. While this seems an outrageous price, if you consider the erea, you could easily spend that much just parking to shop/dine in downtown. Bottom line, I recommend this hotel - especially if you can get a room with a view.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
KSpitz, Manager at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, responded to this review, September 8, 2010
Dear FairLadyShowMe,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us here on TripAdvisor. We are absolutely thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the floor to ceiling windows and bay views from your guest room. It is a beautiful city and waterfront location and we are happy you were able to enjoy it! We hope you'll be back to visit us again soon!

The Team at the Manchester Grand Hyatt
Newark, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

It's big. It has a nice lobby. Short walking distance to the convention center and gaslamp night life. I was here on business and it did it's job. Heck I didn't pay for it. It was close to waterfront but if you are looking to stay in the gas lamp look futher. I don't hate the hotel, I would stay here again but it's average inside. Rooms not roomy but it did have a great view of the USS Midway and the San Diego Bay. One thing that bugged me was they charged to use their fitness center. I rather hit up the 24 hour fitness a few blocks away. Again I would come back but I rather go to the Aranez (formally the Ivy) for more action and life of the Gas Lamp.

Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
KSpitz, Manager at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, responded to this review, September 1, 2010
Thanks for taking the time to review us here on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled you would recommend our hotel to a friend. We hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back to San Diego again in the near future, and that you continue to enjoy our hotel’s great location for easy walking everywhere in the Gaslamp Quarter –from Petco Park to the Waterfront. Concerning our Fitness Center, we do charge a small usage fee (unless you are a Gold Passport Member, then this service is complimentary.) We have done extensive research to ensure the center provides the best quality equipment and fitness features available. Also our facilities are accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days per week and feature panoramic views of the San Diego Bay, Coronado Island and the Pacific Ocean. These exclusive features make our Fitness Center one of the best in town!
Hope to see you back here in sunny San Diego soon!

Kristin Spitz
Electronic Sales & Marketing Manager
Rockwall, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

I've stayed in this hotel many times - never again. The place has become dated to the point of dilapidation in some areas. The room furniture is worn, scratched, chairs were threadbare and the bathrooms are old, stale and dingy. The 1980's style TV belongs in a museum, not to mention the poor reception that accompanies the relic.
We had access to the Club Floor which was a total joke. The offerings in the club room were meager. For one who drinks a lot of water however, this might be a good deal in that the Club Room offers bottled water complimentary, which is a far cry from the $4.50 charge for water in the rooms. Another major rip off is the $35 valet parking - the highest in San Diego that I've encountered.

Service, or lack of, is another issue. The staff is indifferent to rude. Our room was not made up one day. I called "At Your Service " twice and still no results. At 6:00 that night I"d had enough and went to the front desk to complain. A shoulder shrug and telephone call later, the problem was corrected. It was almost 8pm by that point. The toilet barely flushed, and there was a continuous back-up of black/gray material sludge material in the bathroom sink that reeked of raw sewage. The AC system barely cooled the room, and the carpet was dirty and well worn. We couldnt wait to leave, never to return. This is the worst Hyatt I've ever stayed in, and as a Hyatt Platinum member, I feel more than qualified to complain.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review us here on TripAdvisor. It is unfortunate that you chose our hotel and were not satisfied. Please do give us another opportunity to please you.
Our hotel’s many accolades indicate that your next visit is likely to be a much nicer experience. Just this week, the Readers’ Poll of San Diego’s leading daily newspaper named Top of the Hyatt “Best Upscale Bar” (San Diego Union-Tribune/ SignOnSanDiego.com.) And for the 17th year, in 2010 the hotel again earned the AAA/CAA “Four Diamond” award for lodging.

Regarding the TVs, you'll be happy to hear we are replacing all of our TVs for 47" flat screens next month! And concerning your guest room comments, we are in the planning stages for a total room renovation. And regarding the cost of valet parking, you will find the rate to be competitive with other AAA Four Diamond hotels in the area.

We hope to see you back here in sunny San Diego soon!

Management Team at Manchester Grand Hyatt
St. John's, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

I stayed there for 5 days in June.I noticed 3 bites on my L leg after 2 days-and thought they were from grass fleas.Then-on day 4 I looked in the mirror and saw at least 30 bites all over my back-absolutely gross.
I would never stay there again.Had to throw out my 2 suitcases(1 was brand new) and boil my clothes.

Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Dallas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

Got a good rate on priceline, but the bad service started even before we left Dallas. Tried to call the concierge 3 times regarding a floral delivery, was put on hold forever each time. The exorbitant extra charges started mounting as soon as we got there. $35/night for valet parking?? Your only other option is $24 to self park, OUCH. We got back late the 1st night, so we had to order room service; 1 pizza, an order of wings, and a hamburger cost $100, I kid you not (and the wings sucked by the way).. Yeah, location is pretty good, but rooms are small...normally I don't even notice that, but I got tangled up in the bathroom and closet doors more than once. We valet parked the first night (to tired), but self-parked the 2nd night; when we checked out, there were 2 $35 valet charges on the bill, GREEDY!!!! Avoid this property, it's just not worth the hassle and expense.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review us here on TripAdvisor. It is unfortunate that you chose our hotel and were not satisfied with the size of what many consider to be our spacious hotel rooms -340 square-feet, including floor to ceiling water-view windows that open .

Regarding the cost of room service, please review your bill and contact us if you ordered a pizza, an order of hot wings and a hamburger and were charged $100. That would not have been correct, and we would be pleased to adjust the charge. Please call our Associate Food & Beverage Director, David Nicola, with your date of stay or provide us with your receipt and we’ll take care of that.

Regarding the valet parking, you will find the rates to be competitive with other AAA Four Diamond hotels in the area. But regarding the additional night’s valet charge, hopefully the error was caught at checkout, but if not please supply your receipt and we will correct the overpayment with the owners of our parking garage.

We hope to see you back here in sunny San Diego soon and that you do give us another opportunity to please you.

Management at the Manchester Grand Hyatt
619-232-1234
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

The Manchester is a solid hotel with very good service, fantastic location on the waterfront/seaport village and very comfortable rooms. With the look of its lobby and general atmosphere you can see that this hotel wants to be a resort destination but falls a little short; some of this is in control of the hyatt/some of this is not.

My reservation for the Manchester was for a family package (50% off the second room, adjoining and breakfast plan). Basic point is be sure to verify your email reservation details exactly in the email confirmation. A few weeks before arriving I called to change my arrival date and verify the reservation to find out the adjoining request had not been confirmed, which the reservation agent told me it had.. obviously a challenging situation with small kids but luckily something I corrected well before arriving and specifically asked for an email showing this request. When I actually arrived at the hotel; found out the wrong "family plan" had been reserved resulting in the breakfast plan not being added to my reservation .. again took several conversations with the staff and management (and a call to central res.) but ultimately things got fixed .. not sure if these issues were via central reservation or the Manchester directly but there seems to be an issue with their promotion packages so be sure to double check everything.

Regarding the train horn comments .. you are going to hear the train regardless of your room location .. accept that if you're staying here. The metro, freight and commuter trains all pass the hotel on a track that is about 100 yds off the hotel and perpendicular to both towers, therefore all the rooms experience it. It's not that big a deal but if you're expecting no train horns; then you'll be disappointed. It is a downtown hotel and the street noises of a downtown location apply.

For the size and cosmetics of the hotel, yes the pool is a bit small and it does seem like the suntan lotion film builds up at times; but again other factors are net positive; the elevated pool deck with a view of the San Diego waterfront and skyline as well as the various activities they try to plan for the kids gives almost a cruise like feel to the pool/hotel.

Breakfast buffet was fantastic and not just because we had it comp'd as part of the rate plan .. really a good buffet (waffles are very tasty). We were out for other meals so can't comment on the restaurants for the other meals. Add in the amenities of Seaport village at the back door of the hotel, gas lamp which is about a 15-20 minute walk and San Diego in general where it's hard not to enjoy yourself and this hotel be comes a very solid choice for pleasure or of course business.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego? Share your experiences!