“Kin Spa Review” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“Kin Spa Review”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

This review is for the spa only. Had a facial booked in the morning, will not mention the name of the Aesthetician so not to get her in trouble.. I have had many facials and I have to say this was my least favorite. First off, she had on a very strong fragrance on which I think should not be acceptable, especially when your there to enjoy whatever aromatherapy treatments they offer. From the very start, I was not feeling relaxed about the whole experience. Once she had me situated on the table, she started asking me questions relating to the facial but then she kept on chatting, asking me about my stay, etc. At first I thought she would eventually stop, and even when I gave her one word answers, she still didn't get the message. I was too chicken to ask her to stop, so I guess that's my fault. In most facials I've had the person doing them is as quiet as possible, and if they have to ask me to turn, they whisper and are careful not to make too much noise opening drawers.. The whole experience was not a good one, plus their facilities for being in such a large hotel was very small.. 1 shower, no dressing room except right by your locker where people are coming and going.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (904)
  • Korean first
Salt Lake City, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

Shabby. In desperate need of a re-launch. Rooms look like the furniture and other decore was bought at a garage sell. Room service made us sick all night, bath tub drains and ends up gurgling up in the sink. Found a small drop of blood on the floorboard of the bathroom, and the wallpaper was actually peeling off the wall, probably because there are no vent fans in there, so everything in those bathrooms gets covered in water when you shower. Slso room description clearky states "marble floors in bathroom, " try terra cotta tile. The sink was marble and that was it for marble. Extra blanket was literally thread bare and falling apart. Bedding was wrinkled like it was left in the dryer too long. Old box set TVs, like 22". Asked for a rollaway bed at noon ( after we had to move from our first room that was a double, to a king) I needed a place for my 2 year old to sleep. Never got it. Had to call back at 8pm for the rollaway, did not recieve it until almost 9pm. Was dismayed to see a hallway FULL of extra rollaways down the hall from my room, after I literally waited 9 hours for one. Paid extra for the Grand Club. What a joke, it is a room like the breakfast bars in the holiday inn, you just need a key to access it and the floor its on. Everytime i went there, except for breakfast, there were no employees there. By the way breakfast in the club room is shabby too, Holiday Inn's breakfast bar is way more extensive and better food. Grand Club boasts concierge, and I called them twice only to be transferred to guest services, I still cant figure out what it is they do exactly. Their little paper booklet about the Hyatt had a booger and coffee stains on it. (I have pics of that by the way) Room decor was at best dissapointing in comparison to the lobby. If every room was decorated and cared for like the lobby this review might have been different. Like i said in desperate need of a re-launch. Only good thing about this hotel was the view. Thats it. Everything else was just scummy. Gross. TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY, and I got a 50% discount because of all the problems. Only spoke to one employee that seemed to care. Customer service was abissmal at best. I honestly thought they should have comped the whole thing. The hubby and I cut our trip short because we could not stand being there for even one more minute. As my husband left ( we took seperate cars) he tried to get his parking stub validated, to which he was told that the garage we parked in (the big one attached to the hotel that says Hyatt on it...) wasnt their garage and parking isn't free. He then asked to speak to a manager, to which the 3 employees that were there (it was real early) refused. He asked two more times and they still did not. They acted as they couldn't hear him. When we left the garage, that "isn't run by Hyatt", it was attended by a Hyatt employee in uniform. When the hubhub and I go back to San Diego, we will stay elsewhere. Maybe the Holiday Inn, I have never been let down by them. This experience at the Hyatt Manchester Grand was easily the absolute worst, ever!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Houston, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

This hotel is very large and geared to tourists and conventioneers visiting downtown San Diego. The location is very good and walking distance to different activities. The views from the rooms, the pool and the top level bar are very good. The public areas and rooms are standard Hyatt quality.

Extra charges abound which is typical for a 'full service' hotel. Parking is $24 per day for self parking. Internet is $10 per day for standard and $13 for 'business' quality. I paid for the premium business internet but found a speedtest at 5pm only produced 0.20 Mbps which is not even close to being high speed.

The service of the hotel leaves something to be desired. I left for the whole day and returned at 4pm to find the room unclean. I called the operator who tried to connect to housekeeping but disconnected. The next call got through and the person said they would send someone to clean the room . At 6:30pm after going to the pool, still no service. Had to ask again at the front desk on the way to dinner.

The beds are good for sleeping but at 2am a freight train blew its horn loudly and repeatedly which absolutely had to have woken everyone up at the hotel. No way to sleep through that. The trolleys don't make much noise with their horns and the crossing gates and they stop by midnight.

Speaking of loud, continuously for about an hour around 7pm a guy on the sidewalk blared messages very loudly in a megaphone asking everyone to check out and boycott the hotel. Something about same sex marriages and the management of the hotel but it wasn't a welcome noise added to the existing din.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Long Grove, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

Stayed at the Manchester Grand Hyatt Hotel in San Diego with my 25 yr. old niece, for a week-long conference at the Convention Center a couple blocks away. Beautiful public spaces, clean rooms - but very average accommodations (furnishings a bit worn, surprisingly.) Our original room given to us on the 14th floor had a large fan drying an obvious wet area on carpeting. We asked for a place to wait or other room and was given an upgrade on the 24th floor - with a spectacular view of the harbor and Seaport Village below! Hotel staff extremely accommodating & very gracious to give us this new room promptly! The view was the best part of this hotel stay. We even got to enjoy scenic fireworks off the USS Midway, watched from our 24th floor room.

The room upgrade was really for the view, because room furnishings were a bit disappointing: noted worn areas on chair/draperies/bedspreads, slight stains on carpeting in this room. Disappointed that internet was not free/included, but co$t additional $10/day. ('Thought free internet was fairly standard in most hotels today, especially hotels of this quality?)

San Diego is an expensive town, & this hotel was no different. Restaurants in hotel quite pricey, but we only ate at Redfield's (sports bar in lobby of hotel.) Food was O.K., but nothing special - except the price. Room service menu was way out of our league as well. Seaport Village next door had several smaller restaurants/cafes with excellent food at a little more reasonable prices. We especially enjoyed The Pier Restaurant - great seafood!

Hotel is in a good location for walking to Convention Center and downtown/Gaslight District. There were many things to see & do here. Also enjoyed the San Diego Trolley Tour, which picks you up right next door at Seaport Village. Be sure you get to visit Old Town San Diego as well: what a wonderful tour back through history here! A very enjoyable day!

Hotel staff were very helpful, providing maps of areas we requested & additional area information. We found Kansas City BBQ - across the street from the hotel (Top Gun movie with Tom Cruise, et al.....filmed some scenes here) had terrific food & better prices.
One of the 2 hotel pools was closed, & the 2nd pool had some private party going on the one time we tried to use it, therefore gave up on a swim altogether.

Our stay at the Manchester Grand Hyatt had its high & low points. We were a bit disappointed, & expected a little more for the price we were paying to stay here for a week.
But we did enjoy the free time we had in town & the many other things we got to do & see in San Diego.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Phoenix, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

This hotel is in heart of the city, close to everything fun downtown (Gaslamp district, stadium, convention center, Seaport Village, etc). The property is beautitful; the staff is helpful and very informative; the view from many of the rooms is breathtaking and we enjoyed our stay very much.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

The Manchester Grand Hyatt is a beautiful hotel in a beautiful location. It boosts an impressive lobby, great meeting facilities and good food. What makes it stand out is customer service. I arrived very early in the morning following a night they actually had 100% occupancy. They quickly checked me in (to my great relief), however, upon entering the room I found that some sort of significant repair was underway. I rung the desk and was told I could be moved to another room shortly. I ran to a meeting and when I returned checked into a new room. This was all handled smoothly and I was satisfied. What knocked my socks off is that the VIP Coordinator for the hotel had send a lovely bottle of wine and a cheese plate to my room that afternoon. This is above and beyond what I expected and earned them HUGE kudos in my book.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Beverly Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

I have been to many hotels and this is one of the best. It is a good idea to become a gold passport member. We got upgraded to an Executive Suite in the Harbor tower. Before we got this room, we were given a room in the seport tower, which I know reviews say is newer, but they are identical. The train never bothered me and never woke me up, unless you go to bed around 8, you don't have a problem. Parking is pretty expensive, but everything makes up for it. The Lael's buffet is not amazing, but is good. The hotel staff is very helpful. They never left us waiting and there were hardly any lines, and I went on the Fourth Of July weekend. Once you leave the Harbor tower, you are immediately in Seaport Village and is a very short walk to the USS Midway. Everything is within walking distance of the hotel except Seaworld. I had a very nice dinner at Georges On Fifth, which is very expensive, but you truly get what you pay for. I walked to the Marriott, Hilton, and other hotels, but the Manchester Grand seems much nicer. The room is quiet and you cannot hear the other rooms, or outside. You can open the window about half a foot out, which lets in the fresh air. I never waited more than 10 seconds for an elevator in the huge, grand hotel.I am used to staying at Four Seasons and other Luxury hotels and this hotel is easily comparable to those hotels and may win. Overall, I love this hotel and hope to come back to this hotel many more times. This hotel is truly one of a kind and grand.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
KSpitz, Electronic Sales & Marketing Manager at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, responded to this review, July 8, 2010
Dear ericmoney905,
We appreciate you taking the time to write a detailed review of our property on TripAdvisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and are now a Gold Passport Member! We look forward to seeing you back here on future vacations. Great picture, too! Take care...

Best Regards,
Kristin Spitz
Electronic Sales & Marketing Manager

Been to Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego? Share your experiences!