“Room with a view!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Southern California
“Room with a view!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2007

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at the Manchester Hyatt. After entering through the gorgeous lobby, we were greeted by a very friendly staff person. Though we had booked through Priceline for $95, she offered us a non-smoking King overlooking the bay. We didn't even request it! We were not treated any differently as Priceline users.

The room was very nice, with a lovely view of the bay. It wasn't huge, but it was just my husband and me, so there was plenty of space for two. The bed was very comfortable and we had an assortment of pillows to choose from.

My only complaint was that the bathroom shower tile had some mildew on the grout that I was able to remove easily with one swipe of a washcloth (it wasn't permanently discolored). That bothered me because housekeeping should have taken care of it. Otherwise, everything else about our stay was perfect.

Parking was $20 with in/out privileges, so we were able to come and go. Because of other plans, we didn't eat at the Hyatt or use any of the facilities.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bathroom grout had mildew that was easily wiped off and should have been taken care of by staff, not by me.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (863)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2007

I work for a travel agency so when I travel, i am looking at things that most people do not see.

When I checked into the Hyatt in San Diego, I was impressed with most things.

Valet Service - great! Better to valet than to park yourself. You save less than $5. They bring the car out immediately and are very eager to assist.

Check In - easy process and many people to assist at all times. Be sure to ask for the tower facing the bay - and request for a higher floor - great view.

Bell Staff - very friendly

Room Service - a bit pricey with all the extra taxes and surcharges and more taxes - sometimes can be more than the meal.

Over all a great experience. I recommend it.

• Liked — Service and Location
  • Disliked — Too many surcharges
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Diego, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2007

My husband and I had reservations for a smoking/king room. We checked in 5 minutes after check-in time and the less-than-congenial girl at the counter advised us that they had already run out of those rooms. She put us in a non-smoking room with slightly-bigger-than-twin beds on the 23rd floor. We had to go down 23 floors via the nauseating elevator ride every time we wanted to smoke. VERY INCONVENIENT, and could have been avoided had they honored our reservation request.

The beds, in and of themselves, weren't as uncomfortable as I had gathered from other reviews. The problem was the size - they are TINY (even for us, and we hardly take up much space)!!!! Good luck trying to fit 2 adults on one of those things!! I ended up moving to the other bed just so we could have more room. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but when I travel, I like to sleep in the same bed as my husband.... just another one of those conveniences you might expect when you stay at a 4-star hotel, but whatever.

The floral bedspreads did remind me of Motel 6, but I think it's just part of the whole English countryside theme. The sheets were nice and the pillows were either down or down alternative and were pretty comfortable too.

The ironing board was very dirty and actually really gross. There wasn't a coffee maker in the room, unless it was in the mini-bar that was locked (why lock up the coffee?). We were afraid they'd charge some outlandish fee for the key, so we didn't bother trying to get one.

A lady comes around in the morning to ask you when you're leaving. It's like they can't wait to get you out of there!! Ironic, since they don't hold reservations anyway.

The girl that checked us out was very friendly, however, and much nicer than the one that checked us in.

The lobby is great but that's about it. This place really isn't worth the money, unless you're getting a REALLY great deal. My husband would definately recommend the Marriott over the Hyatt!

• Liked — The sheets and pillows
  • Disliked — It just kind of makes you feel like you're throwing your money away
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Pleasanton, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2007

The location is fantastic. It is on the boardwalk, ten minute walk from the Gaslight, close to the airport, and in a safe neighborhood. There is a Ralph's, Office Depot, Starbucks, and Trolley stop within walking distance as well.

Pros:
Location
Nice staff; everybody was helpful and cheerful
Pretty lobby
Mostly quiet (see below) in the rooms; you hear the usual doors slamming, hallway conversations and running water, but it's no worse than anywhere else
Quick, plentiful elevators
Rooms are decent size
The brunch in the hotel restaurant was good, and expensive as expected, but a nice splurge. The waiter was incredibly solicitious and pleasant, and made the experience relaxing and enjoyable.

Cons
Expensive for what you get; the rooms are dated and a bit shabby. There is no indoor pool; although there is a lovely outdoor pool and sunning area, we couldn't use it and my bathing suit sat unused in my suitcase,
Not so quiet at 6:00 am when the helicopters from the Naval Ships stationed nearby hover above the water and the tugboats blast their horns
Does many functions at once; meetings, weddings, charity events, so you may come at a busy time and not get the room you requested. I almost didn't get a nonsmoking room; a tip from the check-in guy is call the day before and specifically request the room you want to be reserved for you. It also can get chaotic with all these events and get very loud and crowded in public areas. We couldn't get to the bar on the 40th floor at any time during our stay because it was so crowded we were turned away.
Everything is expensive, a diet coke and lemonade were eight bucks. The water in the room is 6 bucks (walk to Starbucks across the street, it is 2.75 there for a bottle of water).

My own personal gripes:

The toiletries smell weird. I don't know what's in them, but they really stink. Bring your own stuff.

On the day of checkout, the housekeeper tried to open the door while I was getting dressed, around 10am. Checkout is clearly stated on the back of the door as noon, yet somebody from the front desk came around 11:00 to ask when I might get around to checking out. If checkout is noon, don't bother me until after that. I have until noon, I've paid until noon, and unless you want to give me back some of my cash, the hotel can wait until I check out at noon. I thought that was really rude.

The water pressure is low and the water is really soft (or is it hard? It is the one that makes you still feel soapy after you've rinsed off). I expected better.

If you want to be close to the water and have lots within walking distance, it's a decent choice. I just didn't think for over two hundred a night it was spectacular.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — not much quality for price
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2007

This hotel is in the perfect location -- right at the Seaport Village. It's not very far from the airport or the Zoo. We had a Bay view room with beautiful views. We saw the Reagan ship come in from Iraq. This was a thrill for my son. We were there 4th of July and they had a georgous fireworks display!

The Manchester Hyatt lobby is beautiful. The rooms are average, but clean. The trains that go by in the middle of the night are very noisy. This must be so at all of the hotels in the area. The hotel does charge for parking. We had breakfast buffet included with our room which was delicious.

The pool is very nice for children. We also used the spa pool when there was an event going on at the regular one -- very nice.

I would definitely recommend the Manchester Hyatt. We are even thinking of going back again. San Diego's weather can't be beat!

I

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — noisy trains
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
Long Beach
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2007

If you want to sleep this isn't the place for you. We recently stayed at the Manchester Hyatt for a family reunion. The problem was the noise from the trains and the beds were so uncomfortable, no one could get a good nights sleep. Which ruined the day time activities because we were all tired. The only thing I really liked about this place is the location. Your close to the Gaslamp District and Seaport Village, which is nice, but there are other hotels in the same area. My firends stayed at a nearby hotel with better beds and they didn't hear the train.

The price isn't right.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The beds and noise
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring ear plugs
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
Arcadia, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2006

We booked a regular room at the Hyatt (we stayed at the seaport tower, which is the newer building). The rooms are pretty good, but the bedding is a bit old. The views are excellent (midway ship, Seaport village, sea, etc.) and the windows can open too!
The restroom is pretty good, which fresh smelling portico toiletries (Which are very expensive, actually). There are also pictures of the hotel in the bathroom, like before the hotel was built, and after the hotel was built.
There is not much to talk about the guest room, they are just like any other 4/5 star guest room. The coffee maker was broken in one room (coffee couldn't drip while it worked in our other connecting room.
The lobby is expansive and it shows that Manchester Grand Hyatt is truly a spectacular hotel. There are also Victorian paintings, and very good lighting throughout the hotel.
Some interesting things about the hotel is that there are pictures of the owner of the hotel, the Manchesters, at the Harbor tower. It is very cool, with ARMY uniforms, and other wonderful pictures. This hotel is also convenient because of its close proximity to the Convention Center, Coronado, Midway Ship, and other attractions, shopping areas, etc.
Try to bring your car/rent a car to go to other places (such as UCSD, Shopping, etc.) , but the parking rates are pretty expensive at the parking garage.

• Disliked — Low Floor
  • Tips/Secrets — Book by calling if you are booking 2 rooms, you will get a discount (50%) on the second room
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego? Share your experiences!