“Great hotel for the Comic-Con!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Temecula, California
“Great hotel for the Comic-Con!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2006

We had booked the room last year in sept, well before the event. I was happy to find out I received the exact room I asked for but unfortunately was not able to get my room until 2:30 pm. We stayed for 4 nights. We were given room 3739, which is a Regency Club room. We were on the 37th floor and at the very end of the hallway, nice and quiet. Plus the view of the convention center like I wanted. I think we only heard the train once, and even then we both asked eachother if we were sure we heard or just dreamed it. The room has lots of room and though the frig I requested, and never brought me, we managed to make room in the mini bar frig. The bed was somewhat comfy, but not what I was expecting from the pictures of a "feather bed". The sheets were nice. The bathroom had a nice shower head, but I must say that it definately shows it's age and resembles a bathroom in a Comfort Inn or Best Western. I can see how they added touches to try and avoid that appearence but they need to remodel all together. overall the room was comfortable with nice touches.
The staff was very friendly and all very helpful and attentive. THe food was great! We ordered room service twice and while one night the guys ordered pizza from Domino's, I ordered a steak, with extra mashed potatos and creme brulee! We ate at the Buffet twice and enjoyed them both very much. We ate the breakfast buffet and I was very happy to see that they had the Dannon Lite-n-fit yogurt! (LA Weightloss friendly hotel!!). You get the usual options for the buffet and sweet fresh squeezed oj. We also ate at the Friday night seafood buffet. Pricy but worth it. The guys all had their fill of seafood and they mentioned that it tasted very fresh and good. I had my choice of salads and since I don't like fish, the chef at the buffet gladly tossed me up some pasta with a sauce minus the shrimp or lobster. I do like shrimp a little and I asked for a few shrimp just plained grilled. I got them just the way I asked.
Since we had Regency Club (Concierge Level) we had our other breakfasts in there and it included everything except for the made to order omlettes. They always had cookies set out and for the night time they usually had cheeses and something hot like quesadilla rolls. Good stuff. We used them alot for the drinks. Saved alot of money! not having to buy them somewhere else and the goodies we took with us.
Overall we had a good stay. Our room was reserved for us by my in-laws on points, but it can be pricey when reserving regular. Also It sells out quick for this time of year! It's just barely August and I already called to book next year and the Regency Club rooms are sold out!

• Liked — Central Location and Food
  • Disliked — Old feeling room
  • Tips/Secrets — Watch out for those speedy elevators! Light headed anyone?
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (923)
  • Korean first
marengo, Ia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2006

My husband attended a conference at the Hyatt from 7/22-7/26. We brought the whole family along to spend some time together. We had requested a fridge for milk since we had preschoolers along. I had called a week in advance to double check this. If we could not, I would have booked at the Embassy suites across the street. They promised me that it would be ok. Well we never did get our fridge. They blamed it on the comic con that was going on. Comic Con ended our 2nd day but still not fridge. We were told to take things out of the mini bar with a note that we were not using these things and would put them back into the mini bar when we left. I hope now that we have checked out we are not charged for anything. Also the room was just a basic room but at Hyatt's high prices. Nothing special. The meals and room service was outrageous. $5 for a glass of OJ!!! We went to Ralph's and stocked up on water and snacks and never really ate anywhere down there except starbucks. The safe was not big enough to keep out lap tops in. The noise of the trains did not seem to bother us on the 20th floor. I was amazed that for the price of the rooms, the windows were soooooo dirty and I am not even a neat freak.
All in all, with a family, I probably would not chose this hotel again. I would likely pick the marriott next door or the embassy suites across the street. They seem to be more accomodating to families and the marriott pool was beautiful. The hyatt pool was not kid friendly. Our kids were bored.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — not family friendly, overpriced
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

My wife and I stayed here for our anniversary and we loved it. I booked the corner King to guarantee we had a good view--and did we ever! We ended up staying in room 2851 of the Seaport Tower (northern tower, see photos for view), which provided breathtaking views of the bay, and on clear days you could see the ocean. The Hyatt website is not very helpful with respect to understanding where you want to be in the tower and which rooms are best so I called the reservation line. They requested that I be placed in the Seaport Tower, which is apparently newer than the Harbor tower (southern tower) and also requested a high floor. These requests seemed to work as I was granted both when I checked in. The rooms are about a C+ to B as Hyatt goes, and the bathrooms were nothing special, just your typical standard conference hotel bathroom. The room rate really only paid for the view not for a better room accommodation with respect to service, furnishings or fixtures. Housekeeping was OK as they did not put back the iron or ironing board, no big deal but for a high rate I would have expected better service. Self-Parking is $18 a day, but you can walk to Anthony's fish grotto, Seaport Village and Horton Plaza. The spa facilities are about B, and the massage I had was the same. The spa has a separate outdoor pool and hot tub, which I did not use. The "Top of the Hyatt bar" on the top floor of the Harbor Tower has good views and I would recommend it for a sunset drink if you have a clear day. Finally the hotel has two computers in the lobby where you can do online check-in for your airline and print boarding passes (a must these days). Overall I would recommend this hotel as it was clean, in a great location, the staff was above average and it has great views. I would not recommend this hotel for Kids as your better option in the Marriott next door, it has a great outdoor pool facility with waterfalls, slides and grottos.

• Stayed May 2006
Victoria, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2006

I was in San Diego attending a conference at the SD Convetion center. This hotel is at walking distance. Offers great rooms, free internet service, nice restaurants. The hotel was pretty crowded but the registration process was fast. Only bad thing: prize. Very expensive. Similar hotel in similar cities cost, in average, 30% less.

• Stayed May 2004, traveled on business
Southern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2006

Recently stayed at the hotel for a weekend with my wife and one toddler. I booked a deluxe bay view room and when I went to check in at 3:00 PM, my room was not ready. They took down my cell phone number and called me about 90 minutes later to tell me the room was ready. We used this time to walk around the seaport village. I had requested a higher floor and quiet room, however it was not accomodated. So much for putting in your requests in advance. The original receptionist that we checked in with, didn't seem to care too much. Initially asked if the hotel was busy this weekend, she said so so. But when i inquired about a room on a higher floor, she said they were sold out. She seem very defensive. When we came back from our walk, the second receptionist was very nice. Much better attitude. She was smiling and seemed to enjoy doing her job. They gave me a lower floor room on the seaport tower, which is closer to seaport village than the convention center. I was hoping for a view on the bayside, but was instead given a corner room on the street side. This provided a partially view of the bay and the city. If a room was provided on the bayside of the buidling, then it would have been a panoramic view of the bay.

Instead I heard the trolleys and the frieght trains that parallel the street in front of the hotel. I have to admit the street noise was insulated pretty well as you could hardly hear any street car noise. However when the freight trains come by, they activate their horns and since there are many cross streets, they activate the horn several times as they passby. The horn noise did wake up my wife and I several times on Friday night. On Saturday night, we were not awaken by the horn noise. It is either there were no freight trains on Saturday night or we were too tired and slept through it.

I would definitely recommend the deluxe view rooms as they are slightly bigger and located on the four corners of the building. I just wish mine was on the other side facing the bay. The rooms are very nice and well kept. It should be noted that this was the seashore tower, which I believe is the newer of the two. The pool was great. There are also 2 jacuzzi's. The pool was not heated, but it was hot outside and the temperature of the water was comfortable once you get in. The jacuzzi's were great.

We had coupons through AAA for free breakfast buffet at the hotel restaurant. The buffet was very good. The selection was good. It had fresh squeezed orange juice and an omelet bar. If I had to pay out of pocket, I don't know if I'd pay the $20 per person charge.
The service was good though.

Self Park is $18 and Valet is $20 a day I think.

Overall an enjoyable stay. The location was excellent, within walking distance to gaslamp district and the seaport village in the backyard. Would we stay here again? Absolutely, but only if we get a room closer to the bayside or actually facing the bay itself. I would not stay on the street side again. The frieght train horn was a little too much. It woke us up at least 3 times through out the night.

• Stayed June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2006

My laptop was stolen from my room. They were able to determine that the maid had been in the room and they wouild question her. I filed a police report. Management's attitude was arrogant and worthless. "Use the safe". Laptop won't fit in the safe.

There are plenty of great hotels in downtown San Diego, but I wouldn't stay here ever again.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
Lafayette, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2006

Got to the hotel at midnight after a very long cab line at airport and no cabs. Hotel offered no assistance or advice whatsoever when I called from the airport wondering what to do. Was then awakened the next morning at 4:45 am by what sounded like a train literally coming through the hotel. Train's horn blew for over 20 minutes straight at nearly point blank range. As soon as the train sound stopped at 5:10 am, the phone rang with my wake-up call. Fine, they can't control the trains. Whatever.

They can control the rooms, though. And this room in the Harbor Tower looked like any Best Western or La Quinta we have stayed in on the road through Wyoming and Nevada. Cheap polyester thin quilts on the bed. Late 70's early 80's dark wood decor. Worn sink and bathroom tile. Not worth 1/3 of the $349 my company was charged to put me here. If I had arrived earlier in the evening, I would have switched hotels. I called down to the front desk to ask if there were any more updated rooms - maybe in the newer tower - she said no they all look this way. Wow.

This hotel has a beautiful lobby and wonderful bar area and great water location - rooms and train noise obviously make this a place to avoid for sleeping over. Avoid.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business

Been to Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego? Share your experiences!