“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Hotel is minutes from the airport. Taxi was $13. Hotel has a shuttle and were quoted $16 for two people. Taxi to the zoo was $15. Hotel was next to the Redline and were able to get an all day pass for $5 each. Additional all day passes were less because you first have to pay for the card (I think the card was $2). Two stops to Little Italy and 5 stops to Old Town.

Across the street is Kansas City BBQ. A dive bar with excellent BBQ, cheap beer, and was seen on Top Gun. We were able to walk to the Gaslamp District for dinner where there are restaurants and bars from casual to black tie. Seaport Village is located immediately behind the hotel, which is a variety of shops and cafes/coffee shops/desserts. The Convention Center is a 5 minute walk.

The USS Midway is within walking distance. As is Petco Park, home of the Padres.

The hotel cleaning staff was excellent. I requested a few toiletries on a comment card and all was delivered. Our window looked over the pool and fire pit area. We were able to see the harbor, but not the sunset due to the other tower of the hotel unfortunately.

Hotel has a coffee shop with some breakfast and snack items, as well as several restaurants. We only went to the coffee shop which I would liken to a Starbucks.

Overall, we were happy with the hotel. Didn't spend much time there due to exploring the city in between business meetings. In my opinion was overpriced, however. ($289/night was the discounted group rate).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (863)
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

The renovations help to make this hotel a top stop for travelers! The staff is always so helpful and polite! Great location to enjoy a baseball game, dinner at the Gaslamp District, or venture over to Seaport Village and the Midway Museum.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
KHelms, Manager at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear GMM60750,

Thank you for sharing such nice candid comments about your most recent stay with us here on TripAdvisor. We are so glad you enjoyed your visit. We are very please to hear your positive reactions to our renovation and especially to our service. We keep service at a constant top priority at our hotel and are happy to hear that you were well taken care of. Thank you for taking advantage of our fantastic location as well. It appears you definitely made the most of your stay with us!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Kristin Helms
Marketing Manager
Bathgate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a week starting 25th of April, I have to say the room and the views with triple floor to ceiling windows , with views of USS Midway, harbour and dare I say a building site(which I found very interesting), made our week in San Diego. I found the cleaning staff excellent, the bar staff in sports bar very informative who helped map out our days to the zoo, old town , baseball match ect, We can not remember the young lads name(followed by a week in Vegas),but he was also going away that weekend to his dads 70th birthday party, I would like to pass on our sincere thanks for his welcoming and pleasant ways. A slighly pricey hotel, fantastic location, lovely staff and have already passed on your Hotels name to several couples.Thanks.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished corner room overlooking USS Midway, will be more money but worth it.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The hotel has a great curbside appeal. It is visible from quite a distance with a striking architecture. The foyer is large and impressive. The reception staff were pleasant, respectful but perhaps a little inexperienced. The first room I was assigned was tired. with a quick call to the front desk they promptly moved me to a refurbished room. The room was comfortable with a sound system which accommodated & charged my iphone. There was free Wifi in one area of the foyer but not in the room. Breakfast had a wait of over 30 minutes so I went next door to the Marriot where I had a fantastic buffet. The check out was prompt and pleasant.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room. There are views of the bay, if that's important to you.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed here on business and had a great time. I walked into the huge lobby and was greeted by some very friendly employees. The location was several blocks away from the train depot, but close enough to walk. It was also walking distance to the Gaslamp District as well as the pier area. The hotel has two very large towers that overlook the harbor and affords a great view of the surrounding area. I didn't have enough time to really enjoy the hotel, but will definitely plan a leisure trip in the near future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
KHelms, Manager at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear 46JY,

Thank you so much for sharing your nice comments about our hotel here on TripAdvisor. We pay very close attention to these comments to help us grow and evolve as needed. That being said, we are so happy to know that you enjoyed your most recent stay with us! We have always placed our service levels at the top of our priorities and are glad to know that you were well taken care of during your stay. We do hope you have more leisure time on your next visit. There is so much to do in America's Finest City!

Kristin Helms
Marketing Manager
Encinitas, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed here 2 weekends ago & loved the gorgeous lobby area, lobby bars & restaurants, easy parking, upscale beautiful clean room, fabulous views, delicious & fast room service and super comfortable beds. All that deserved 5 stars however the pool area as beautiful as it is is lacking as Pool water temp is cold.., not cool but cold. Here we were on a typical nice sunny weekend & unfortunately you could not use the pool. For my daughter as I’m sure for many other families & other guests, it was a disappointment. There were prob 60-70 people around the pool area on chairs and no-one was in the pool. To make matters worse the hot-tubs were just slightly warm.. maybe about 80°. Trips for many esp families w kids are based around the pool. Next issue when I called for poolside service i was told it would take 35-40 min. Politely they did say if I didn’t want to wait I could go down to the lobby bar, so I did (obviously a hassle). I spent 25-30 min ordering some drinks & snacks. Lobby barman was backed up being the only bartender working + one waitress.. he told me the pool area's blender was broken & he was backed up making their drinks.. bla bla bla.. Not a pleasant Pool day at the Hyatt.
Foods & drinks situation although a hassle, I do understand that things happen from time to time.. but as for the pool temp I feel there is no excuse. I googled these 4 words “hyatt manchester pool cold” and A LOT came up regarding this ongoing issue. It makes one believe that its all about saving money at the the customers “pleasure” expense. I hope the manager who I notice does answer some of these comments, kindly reads my review and explains. Thank you

Room Tip: Its a good 15-20 min walk to gaslamp.. OR you could always walk directly across the street (trolley...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed here when I attended a 3-day conference with meetings in the Hyatt, the Marriott and at the Convention Center. My room was clean and had been recently renovated. There were a variety of restaurants nearby. The Convention Center and the Gaslamp district are within walking distance. Service was good. I forgot to pack a hairbrush, and one was delivered up within minutes. Cleaning staff were courteous and asked me permission to clean my room as they saw me going back and forth to my room in the morning. As expected for such a large hotel, service wasn't as personalized as some other hotels with similar rates.
If I visit San Diego again for a conference, I would try the Marriott Marquis. Judging from the meeting rooms and public spaces, the Marriott Marquis seems to be fairly comparable, but the Marriott Marquis is closer to the Convention Center. (When I had to walk from the Hyatt to the Convention Center, I walked in flats then changed to heels at the Convention Center. I would have just walked in heels from the Marriott to the Convention Center.)
If I visit San Diego again for a personal stay, I think I can find a hotel with better value with similar amenities. Also nearby attractions like the Gaslamp district and Seaport Village are ok, but I wouldn't base a vacation to San Diego around them. The pool was not particularly special and is showing its age. Food service at the pool was slow when it was relatively uncrowded. This hotel is not what I picture when I imagine an ideal Southern California vacation.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego? Share your experiences!