“Beautiful hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“Beautiful hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed here on business and had a great time. I walked into the huge lobby and was greeted by some very friendly employees. The location was several blocks away from the train depot, but close enough to walk. It was also walking distance to the Gaslamp District as well as the pier area. The hotel has two very large towers that overlook the harbor and affords a great view of the surrounding area. I didn't have enough time to really enjoy the hotel, but will definitely plan a leisure trip in the near future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
KHelms, Manager at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear 46JY,

Thank you so much for sharing your nice comments about our hotel here on TripAdvisor. We pay very close attention to these comments to help us grow and evolve as needed. That being said, we are so happy to know that you enjoyed your most recent stay with us! We have always placed our service levels at the top of our priorities and are glad to know that you were well taken care of during your stay. We do hope you have more leisure time on your next visit. There is so much to do in America's Finest City!

Kristin Helms
Marketing Manager
Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (855)
  • Korean first
Encinitas, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed here 2 weekends ago & loved the gorgeous lobby area, lobby bars & restaurants, easy parking, upscale beautiful clean room, fabulous views, delicious & fast room service and super comfortable beds. All that deserved 5 stars however the pool area as beautiful as it is is lacking as Pool water temp is cold.., not cool but cold. Here we were on a typical nice sunny weekend & unfortunately you could not use the pool. For my daughter as I’m sure for many other families & other guests, it was a disappointment. There were prob 60-70 people around the pool area on chairs and no-one was in the pool. To make matters worse the hot-tubs were just slightly warm.. maybe about 80°. Trips for many esp families w kids are based around the pool. Next issue when I called for poolside service i was told it would take 35-40 min. Politely they did say if I didn’t want to wait I could go down to the lobby bar, so I did (obviously a hassle). I spent 25-30 min ordering some drinks & snacks. Lobby barman was backed up being the only bartender working + one waitress.. he told me the pool area's blender was broken & he was backed up making their drinks.. bla bla bla.. Not a pleasant Pool day at the Hyatt.
Foods & drinks situation although a hassle, I do understand that things happen from time to time.. but as for the pool temp I feel there is no excuse. I googled these 4 words “hyatt manchester pool cold” and A LOT came up regarding this ongoing issue. It makes one believe that its all about saving money at the the customers “pleasure” expense. I hope the manager who I notice does answer some of these comments, kindly reads my review and explains. Thank you

Room Tip: Its a good 15-20 min walk to gaslamp.. OR you could always walk directly across the street (trolley...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed here when I attended a 3-day conference with meetings in the Hyatt, the Marriott and at the Convention Center. My room was clean and had been recently renovated. There were a variety of restaurants nearby. The Convention Center and the Gaslamp district are within walking distance. Service was good. I forgot to pack a hairbrush, and one was delivered up within minutes. Cleaning staff were courteous and asked me permission to clean my room as they saw me going back and forth to my room in the morning. As expected for such a large hotel, service wasn't as personalized as some other hotels with similar rates.
If I visit San Diego again for a conference, I would try the Marriott Marquis. Judging from the meeting rooms and public spaces, the Marriott Marquis seems to be fairly comparable, but the Marriott Marquis is closer to the Convention Center. (When I had to walk from the Hyatt to the Convention Center, I walked in flats then changed to heels at the Convention Center. I would have just walked in heels from the Marriott to the Convention Center.)
If I visit San Diego again for a personal stay, I think I can find a hotel with better value with similar amenities. Also nearby attractions like the Gaslamp district and Seaport Village are ok, but I wouldn't base a vacation to San Diego around them. The pool was not particularly special and is showing its age. Food service at the pool was slow when it was relatively uncrowded. This hotel is not what I picture when I imagine an ideal Southern California vacation.

North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a pricey hotel on the bay in San Diego. The rooms are average and equivalent to other Hyatt hotels. The high price is for the location not the rooms. It is right on the water so you can get great exercise walking along the bay. It is also a 10 minute walk to the Gaslamp Quarter, where you'll find great restaurants. You won't need a car unless you plan to leave the area. Parking is expensive if you bring a car. Entire staff was very friendly and helpful. Only complaints were the noise from the cable car/train outside the hotel and the satellite signal was intermittent on the TV.

Room Tip: Pick a room facing the bay to avoid the street noise.
Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed in the recently refurbished Harbor Tower.
Very Grand reception and stylish modern room overlooking the pool area and San Diego Harbor.
The room was tasteful and very comfortable.
The bed was just perfect and floor length windows provided a stunning view. There was a comfortable seating area in front of the window.
The hotel is in a great location and all staff I encountered were very friendly and happy to help.
The hotel gym was exceptionally well equiped although when I visited, 6 am each day, it was very busy. I understand the hotel was at full occupancy so may not always be the case.
The weights area was not too busy but I couldn't get on any cardio machine. No big deal, the hotel backs onto a great area area for running outdoor so it actually did me a favour.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear nicholas h,

Thank you for sharing your nice comments about our hotel here on TripAdvisor. We pay close attention to these reviews to help us grow and evolve as needed. That being said, we are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us in April. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our newly remodeled rooms as well as our spectacular location. We have always kept our service levels a top priority. We are happy to hear that you were well taken care of during your stay. We appreciate your patience with our gym as our hotel was exceptionally busy during your stay, but we are glad to hear it all worked out for the better, because I personally feel the scenery and multiple running trails located in our backyard are amazing! I am glad you were able to experience them.

Thank you again for sharing, and we hope to see you again sometime soon!

Kristin Helms
Marketing Manager
Stamford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I just got back from a 4 night stay at the Manchester Grand Hyatt in San Diego following a conference. The staff was friendly, the location was great as were the common areas, but the room could have been better.

I will blame the room on me as I could have requested to be moved, but I was on the 4th floor, the same floor as the pool so my room smelled like a pool. The water pressure was a bit too much (first and last time I will ever make that comment) and there was construction going on above my head. The construction ended at 6 which would have usually been okay but I was conferencing and was in severe need of a nap. Otherwise, no noise from outside.

Anyway, otherwise the stay was good. The room service menu was impressive and the quality of the food and service there was good. The hotel is on a little harbor area where the restaurants are bad but the view and little walkabout is nice. It's about a 10 minute easy walk from the Gaslamp district. The front desk staff was helpful with checkout, especially as I was over-complicating things by going on standby on an earlier flight out of SD.

For anyone traveling to SD soon, get your food and souvenirs at the hotel before heading to the airport as it is under construction and bare bones.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the 4th floor, otherwise the rest of the rooms from what I heard had a nice view!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at this luxury hotel for six nights in April. The room allocated had a fantastic view (37 th floor) and was clean,quiet and very comfortable. The breakfast buffet was the best of any hotel that we had previously stayed and reasonably priced too.
The location and access to all areas was excellent. One evening we enjoyed a special meal at SALLY's Fish Restaurant which was expensive but worth paying that bit extra.
Would highly recommend this hotel for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Ask Harbour View - high floor
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego? Share your experiences!