“Expensive but great location” 4 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast for Two
Ranked #27 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
North Carolina
“Expensive but great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a pricey hotel on the bay in San Diego. The rooms are average and equivalent to other Hyatt hotels. The high price is for the location not the rooms. It is right on the water so you can get great exercise walking along the bay. It is also a 10 minute walk to the Gaslamp Quarter, where you'll find great restaurants. You won't need a car unless you plan to leave the area. Parking is expensive if you bring a car. Entire staff was very friendly and helpful. Only complaints were the noise from the cable car/train outside the hotel and the satellite signal was intermittent on the TV.

Room Tip: Pick a room facing the bay to avoid the street noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (765)
  • Korean first
Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed in the recently refurbished Harbor Tower.
Very Grand reception and stylish modern room overlooking the pool area and San Diego Harbor.
The room was tasteful and very comfortable.
The bed was just perfect and floor length windows provided a stunning view. There was a comfortable seating area in front of the window.
The hotel is in a great location and all staff I encountered were very friendly and happy to help.
The hotel gym was exceptionally well equiped although when I visited, 6 am each day, it was very busy. I understand the hotel was at full occupancy so may not always be the case.
The weights area was not too busy but I couldn't get on any cardio machine. No big deal, the hotel backs onto a great area area for running outdoor so it actually did me a favour.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
KHelms, Manager at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear nicholas h,

Thank you for sharing your nice comments about our hotel here on TripAdvisor. We pay close attention to these reviews to help us grow and evolve as needed. That being said, we are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us in April. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our newly remodeled rooms as well as our spectacular location. We have always kept our service levels a top priority. We are happy to hear that you were well taken care of during your stay. We appreciate your patience with our gym as our hotel was exceptionally busy during your stay, but we are glad to hear it all worked out for the better, because I personally feel the scenery and multiple running trails located in our backyard are amazing! I am glad you were able to experience them.

Thank you again for sharing, and we hope to see you again sometime soon!

Stamford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I just got back from a 4 night stay at the Manchester Grand Hyatt in San Diego following a conference. The staff was friendly, the location was great as were the common areas, but the room could have been better.

I will blame the room on me as I could have requested to be moved, but I was on the 4th floor, the same floor as the pool so my room smelled like a pool. The water pressure was a bit too much (first and last time I will ever make that comment) and there was construction going on above my head. The construction ended at 6 which would have usually been okay but I was conferencing and was in severe need of a nap. Otherwise, no noise from outside.

Anyway, otherwise the stay was good. The room service menu was impressive and the quality of the food and service there was good. The hotel is on a little harbor area where the restaurants are bad but the view and little walkabout is nice. It's about a 10 minute easy walk from the Gaslamp district. The front desk staff was helpful with checkout, especially as I was over-complicating things by going on standby on an earlier flight out of SD.

For anyone traveling to SD soon, get your food and souvenirs at the hotel before heading to the airport as it is under construction and bare bones.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the 4th floor, otherwise the rest of the rooms from what I heard had a nice view!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at this luxury hotel for six nights in April. The room allocated had a fantastic view (37 th floor) and was clean,quiet and very comfortable. The breakfast buffet was the best of any hotel that we had previously stayed and reasonably priced too.
The location and access to all areas was excellent. One evening we enjoyed a special meal at SALLY's Fish Restaurant which was expensive but worth paying that bit extra.
Would highly recommend this hotel for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Ask Harbour View - high floor
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
JOHNSTOWN, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

This was my first time staying at this hotel. I have attended meetings here before and thought it would be a great hotel but sadly it was average. I stayed in room 524 and paid $30 extra per night for a smoking room. When I booked my smoking room I wasn’t told this.

I travel a lot for business and less for pleasure. This was a business trip and I didn’t have a choice of hotel.

The good:
Lots of storage space in rooms, there is a big storage drawer under the one couch that you might not notice.
Room had a fridge
The bathroom was very nice with quiet flush, built in nightlight, nice sliding door, and soft bathroom tissue
Nice room keys that you just touch to the handle
Lots of seating in the room
Free safe
Big TV
Room service steak sandwich was beyond good and crème Brule was ok

The bad:
Internet is way too expensive, $10 to $13 depending on what you order
This hotel wants to be elegant but they nickel and dime you so it just doesn’t make it
Couldn’t find anywhere to print boarding pass free, asked front desk and they told me to pay at the FedEx desk to print it. In a follow up email to my stay the manager told me there was someone to print it free. Why couldn’t the front desk tell me that?
$5 water in room that I was charged for but didn’t use
Two billing errors for my room
I wasn’t given soap in my room the first day
My cleaning person never finished my room
She also walked in the shower with dirty shoes to wipe the walls but didn’t clean it up so every day but the first I had dirty footprints in my shower, YUCK
No decaf coffee in room until I asked and left her daily tip with the note
The movies were more expensive than other hotels I’m used to
My room was very dusty which I thought was strange because I had an air filter running all the time since it was a smoking room
Overall housekeeping and the front desk assistance were my biggest complaints.

Will I stay here again, probably not. I have stayed at other hotels in the area for a better price and have gotten much better service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Viera, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Great Hotel, excellent staff, close to everything. We stayed here on business so received a business rate, but this place is definitely worth it. We had a view of the harbor that was beautiful. The staff was very helpful in recommending restaurants and helping to print out our boarding passes. WiFi was fast in the room, no issues conducting business here.

Dear DisneyFanSue,

Thank you for sharing your nice comments about our hotel here on TripAdvisor. We are so glad to here that you enjoyed your stay while traveling on business. Service has always been a top priority for us at Hyatt and we are glad you were well taken care of.

We hope to host you again sometime soon, whether it be for business or pleasure!

Take Care!

Allen, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I had the opportunity to overnight at the Manachester Grand Hyatt in San Diego back in mid-April. What a delight from the time I arrived till the time I left. The Staff were excellent - they were able to sense just the right amount of attention that I required. The rooms were some of the most comfortable you'll find at the price point. This hotel will be home away from home in San Diego.

Dear ZAismy2ndHome,

Thank you for sharing your nice comments about our hotel here on TripAdvisor. We pay close attention to these reviews to help us grow and evolve as needed. That being said, we are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us! We have always kept our service levels as a top priority and we are thrilled to hear that you were well-accommodated. Your comfort while traveling is very important to us and are very glad to hear you felt at home.

We hope you come visit us again soon!

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego

Been to Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego? Share your experiences!