“Corner King Rooms, Amazing View!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast for Two
Ranked #19 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Corner King Rooms, Amazing View!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011 via mobile

Get the corner king room. Windows from floor to ceiling times 3. The windows all open to allow the ocean breeze to fill your room. Large TV with real HD channels. There is a fridge in the room and a grocery store within 7 minute walk to save you money on beers, pops, and bottled water. It's a short walk to Gaslamp. Eat breakfast at Richard Walker's, it's a 5 minute walk. Cheaper and better than the hotel. I researched a lot before deciding on a hotel for this trip. This was a perfect choice.

• Stayed May 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (863)
  • Korean first
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

Hotel chains seem to be moving in the same direction as airlines. Once good brands now leave much to be desired.

This is one of those mega-hotels that is so crowded the staff can't possibly keep up. I requested a king bed and got a room with two double beds instead. As noted in previous reviews, if you get a room with an adjoining room, you can hear everything that goes on in there. I immediately asked to move and was given a choice of a smoking room, or a "parlor suite". I chose the parlor suite, which was actually a meeting room, with a cot wheeled in. I asked to switch the next day and got a regular room. For the trouble, I was given a free breakfast, but they still billed me for the tip.

My colleague arrived the same evening and was told there was no room available for her, despite a confirmed reservation. She and her family were also given a meeting room with wheeled in cots. They found the front desk staff to be very unhelpful.

There are always long lines for the front desk and the concierge. Every time I called the desk, I got a recording saying all operators are busy, please continue to hold. Same when calling for laundry service, same for room service and same for a wake-up call. When I got to speak to the operator about the wake up call, she tried to sell me breakfast. Personally, I'd prefer to skip the sales pitch and have my call answered right away.

Fees are high as they usually are in these kinds of places. $4.50 for a bottle of water, $16.99 for an in-room movie, $38 for three days of wireless (which they did agree to refund). Incidentally, before you pay for wireless, see if you can access a free network. I did that on the last night after my three days ran out and got it for free. (A previous post on here about having to pay for news channels is not accurate.)

I emailed the manager who responded to previous posts on here and also got a reply from the rooms manager. They were helpful and agreed not to charge me for the night on the cot. But in the end, this is not what you'd expect from a Hyatt. And it cannot be recommended.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Oak Hill, Virginia, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

This is a nice hotel, and the staff is great. It has a good location close to the Gaslamp District. However, the additional charges for everything are really too much --$4.50 for a bottle of water in your room, $13 per day for the slow Internet service (which is good for only one device), etc.., etc.. Less expensive hotels offer these and other amenities for much less or nothing.

Also, the quality of the bathroom is not what one would expect of a hotel in this price range.

Room Tip: High -- for best views of the harbor!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
KSpitz, Electronic Sales & Marketing Manager at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, responded to this review, June 21, 2011
Dear Familytravels703,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about us on TripAdvisor. We are happy to hear you found our staff helpful and our location ideal.
You'll be happy to hear that we are coming out with a "Park and Surf" package that will offer parking and internet included with the price of your room. We hope to roll this out in the next couple of weeks.
We are also in the beginning planning stages of a complete room renovation set to take place early next year. We hope you'll be back to see these upgrades firsthand. If I can answer any other questions in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly.

Whittier, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

I had a room on the 31st floor, and without telling me, the hotel had authorized a party to take place in the suite next door until mid night. I had two young children who needed to sleep. So when I called the hotel front desk, the manager told me that the hotel had authorized the party until midnight and there was nothing they could do about it. I told the manager that it is not fair that I had to be situated next to the noise. I had paid extra for a double bed room with a premium view but all that was ruined by the noise next door. I will never return to this hotel, bad service, overall not a good experience.

Also, be aware that self-parking is $25 a day and if you want to watch any TV in the hotel, you even have to pay for the regular news channels.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dear travelbug832,
Thank you for your candid comments. I apologize that your stay with us was anything less than enjoyable. I'd like to invite you to contact at our Rooms Executive, Chad Eding, 619.232.1234, to discuss more in detail the noise complaints you experienced during your stay.

You'll also be happy to hear that we are coming out with a "Park and Surf" package that will offer parking and internet included with the price of your room. We hope to roll this out in the next couple of weeks.

Again, thank you for your review, as these candid comments help us to consistently improve our operations, service and amenities provided to our valued guests.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

This hotel definitely lived up to the Hyatt reputation- clean rooms, professional service, great pool, large grounds, etc.

My only complaint was that they charge for the business centre usage and for wireless. You'd think if you're paying a premium to stay at the Hyatt that they'd let you use the computer for free.

Also, being in my early 30s, I would probably stay in the Gaslamp district (about a 10 minute walk) next time I visited San Diego... More nightlife, action, etc... We took cabs into the area every night.

On the other hand, the bay area where the hotel is located is nice and quaint, if that's what you're looking for.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Dear FrqntTrvllr,
Thank you for your review here on TripAdvisor. We are happy to hear you found your room, our customer service and onsite pools enjoyable. I hope you were also able to check out our Top of the Hyatt lounge on the 40th floor that provides sweeping views of the San Diego Bay and city skyline.
You'll also be happy to hear we are rolling out a new "Park & Surf" package that will include free internet and parking. We hope to see you back soon so you can take advantage of this new offer.

n ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights and had a great time. We had a room overlooking the bay and the USS Midway which was lit up at night and even had fireworks one night. The rooms were quite big, although the connecting door was a nuisance, as on our last night we went to bed early as had a 4am wake up call and the family in the next room were very loud when they came back. Easy walking to the Gaslamp district where there a great choie of bars and restaurants. Beside hotel is Seaport Village with lovely shops and eateries, its very pretty and nice just to sit and have an ice cream. The reception staff were all very helpful and the bar staff were very friendly and corteous. Have a drink at the Top of the Hyatt, the views are spectacular towrads Coronado Island, which I would recommend visting as it is very pretty with lovely shops and restaurants. I would stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear bangorbabe,
Thank you for the nice review here on TripAdvisor. I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to check out the convenient surrounding areas including Seaport Village, Gaslamp Quarter and Coronado Island. I hope we get the chance to welcome you back in the very near future.

Detroit,MI.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

Stay in the downtown area, you can walk to everything. We walked to the Gaslamp disctrict every night for food, drinks, entertainment and people watching. That was always a fun evening for adults. The homeless people were a surprise, didn't expect to see so many, but they didn't bother you. We walked to the USS Midway for a tour which was great, Seaport Village, and we did the Trolley Tour which is a great way to see the entire city so you get a good feel for what interests you. Highly recommend that for all. We drove to the Zoo took tour behind the scenes, Safari Park went zip lining, and the many beaches. One yummy surprise was a little privately owned resturant in LaJolla named Barbrarella's, this quaint place had fantastic food and friendly service, we went there twice we liked it so much. After dinner you can walk to the beach to watch the sunset. The hotel was in a great location, but nothing special inside, kinda noisy too. All in all great trip/visit, what a beautiful area.

Room Tip: Request room with a bay view.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Love4Life,
Thank you for the nice comments here on TripAdvisor. I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us and it sounds like you were quite busy experiencing all this area has to offer! I hope you had the chance to check out our Top of the Hyatt lounge on the 40th floor of our Harbor Tower that provides sweeping views of the San Diego Bay, Coronado Island and the pretty lights of the SD skyline.

I hope we get the chance to welcome you back to beautiful San Diego soon!

Electronic Sales & Marketing Manager

Been to Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego? Share your experiences!