“Outrageous failure to provide the room we reserved!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
California
“Outrageous failure to provide the room we reserved!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

To celebrate our 20th anniversary, we thought it would be extremely romantic to stay in the Manchester's "Deluxe Bay View King" room, which appeared (from photos on the website) to offer a spectacular corner-window view of San Diego Bay, a luxurious king bed, and was within walking distance to the nightlife of the Gaslamp quarter and Seaport Village. We booked our reservation 3 weeks in advance, and asked for the AAA rate.

Upon arrival at the hotel, we were informed that no such rooms were currently available. We were told that some of the hotel guests decided to stay a few more nights, and that the hotel legally could not make them give up their "Deluxe Bay View" rooms, even though the staff admitted that quite a few regular "Bay VIew" rooms were available to which, we thought, the interlopers could have been moved. At that point, having arranged for babysitters, etc., we were forced to accept a regular bay view room.

The regular Bay View room proved to be just OK...the bed indeed smelled wonderful, and we could sort of see the water from our bed, but we were unable to sleep through the slamming doors up and down the hall, voices in the hall, and general lack of insulation in the hotel.

We both felt that, had we known that the room we had planned on having would not be available, we would have chosen a different hotel. The Manchester is a great refuge if you are part of a convention or tour group which carries more clout.

• Liked — smell of the bed
  • Disliked — hotel failed to provide the type of room we reserved
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (957)
  • Korean first
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

Stayed one night at the Manchester Grand Hyatt with my Gold Passport Points. I was given a terrific room with a bay view (two double beds) The view was beautiful, the room clean, beds comfortable, the bathroom very clean. The bellboy (person?) brought us extra towels. Only thing missing were disposable cups for the complimentary coffee. They were brought promptly after I called the front desk.. Would stay here again as a splurge.

• Liked — hotel employees, excellent service, location
  • Disliked — no complaints
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2007

Stayed at the Grand Hyatt in San Diego for 3 nights. The complex itself is huge and definitely caters more to the business/convention crowd.

Got upgraded to a corner room with amazing views of both the island and marinas.

Too cold to enjoy during our visit but the pool and spa were nice touches with outdoor fireplaces.

Check out Beach Bar on the top floor of the W for a great place to grab a cocktail.

• Stayed November 2004, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2007

Let me say first of all that I don't typically stay in luxury hotels, but my husband and I got the Manchester Grand Hyatt through Priceline for $120/night plus taxes. At that price, what a deal for a fabulous hotel! The location is great, right in Seaport Village (yes, it's a tourist trap, but very pretty), with a stop for the San Diego trolley a short walk from the entrance. (We did not have a car for our stay and got along fine using public transportation.) The hotel is very impressive - the reception area reminded me of a grand train station from older days, and all the common areas are luxurious as well. Service was fine; we had to wait in line a few minutes but the front desk staff was friendly. Our room was large and very clean, the bed was comfortable with a firm mattress and the nicest sheets I've ever slept on in a hotel. Bathroom was fine; not the largest but sparkling clean and recently renovated. Our room on a lower floor in the Seaport Tower had a nice view of the small park in front of the hotel and the harbor. We especially enjoyed using the pool on the large fourth floor deck, which had a great view, two whirlpools, and plenty of comfortable lounge chairs. The only complaints are minor - it's a big, busy hotel, with lots of people buzzing around the common areas (lots of convention attendees when we were there), and a semi-confusing layout. We got on the wrong elevator at first, and I did a fair amount of wandering around trying to find the pool, coffee shop, etc. Hardly a big deal, though. Also, the parking fee seemed ridiculous - $21/night - and they don't offer a free shuttle from the airport (it cost $7 per person for a shuttle one-way, BTW). All in all, we had a wonderful stay and would recommend the hotel for anyone wanting a luxurious stay at a convenient spot to see the sights in San Diego.

• Liked — pool
  • Disliked — confusing layout
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2007

If you book directly through the hotel, this review may not be applicable... hopefully.
I stayed at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego for one night, and I'm just glad my stay wasn't for longer duration as originally planned. The reception staff at check in was very cold and unreceptive. Unexplained long wait and no response when I asked what the problem was. Also the room rate included complimentary breakfast, but he said he didn't know anything about it and told us to come back later for vouchers. The vouchers we eventually got ended up being pretty much useless anyways because the lines at the restaurant were over an hour long.
The real problem started when I asked Housekeeping to bring me a set of towels and other customary hospitality items for an extra (paid) guest. What I received were two tightly stacked water glasses that could not be separated and two bath towels in one of which I later found a stranger's p*b*c hair. When I called Housekeeping to complain about the hair in the towel, the operator hung up on me mid-sentence and didn't pick up the phone on my second attempt. I was able to reach Housekeeping a few minutes later. Shortly thereafter, there was a loud knock on the door- it was a maid asking what time we'll be checking out. It was barely 10AM at this time, and the stated check-out time was 12 Noon (we had already had another maid knocking only an hour earlier at which time we discovered the room didn't have a do-not-disturb sign).
We figured things could go only worse and decided to leave the premises immediately, especially because my brother, who had just come back after having tried to get some breakfast and getting tired of endless waiting, just wanted to go somewhere to eat in peace.
On the way out, a hotel personnel who showed me the location of express check-out asked me how my stay was. So prompted, I briefly mentioned the hair in the towel and being driven out by the hourly visits by the maids. He was horrified by these events that "should never have happened" and insisted that I wait to speak with a manager. However, when an assistant manager saw me, the tune changed immediately. The assistant manager said, although Hyatt guests would normally be compensated for the type of experience we were subjected to, there was really nothing he could do and advised me to speak with Expedia- "people who book through third parties are not Hyatt guests," according to him. No, sympathy, no apologies, and no assurances of following up with housekeeping! Only after I became loud and belligerent upon being incited by his comment, did this assistant manager remember to apologize for my experience.
So although the location was convenient, guest room was nicely furnished, and the beds and bedding were the best, I probably would never go back to this place. The Marriott next door actually has better access to Seaport Village.

• Liked — bed
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2007

Just returned from 3 nights at the Manchester. Stayed there to attend a conference. After expeiencing some "sticker shock" at the $250 per night conference rate, I was pleasantly surprised with my experience at the hotel.
From reading the reviews on TA, I asked for a room in the newer tower. The room was a nice size - the bathroom was huge and with granite countertops. I had a fantastic view of downtown and across the bay to Coronado Island. And I loved that you could actually open the window!
The beds and pillows were very comfortable. I only ate "conference" meals at the hotel - but everything I had was good and the service was top-notch.
I did have a rental car - and have no complaints about the self parking, as a previous poster mentioned. It was no big beal to hop on the elevator to get your car in the garage. This would be expected in any big city.
I am looking forward to returning for this conference nxt year - and staying at the Manchester Grand Hyatt.

• Liked — overall comfortable room
  • Disliked — Hair that remained on soap dish in shower for entire stay
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Downey, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2007

We stayed at the Hyatt on Sept.15,2007 for one night. We had a great experience. Since the moment we registered, we were treated very well. We were given vouchers for breakfast at the Lael's restaurant. The price for the buffet would have been 22.00 per person. The food at the buffet was great. They had all the basics plus lots of healthy alternatives such as cereals, oatmeal, and assorted nuts and fruits. The service was excellent. The room was clean and the beds were very comfortable. We were upgraded to a room with view of the marina and the city, including Petco Park. My daughter and I swam in the pool at 9:00 pm and the water was still warm. It's shallow and clean. The pool area is huge and comfortable.

We walked out of the hotel from the back door and entered the marina shopping area. There are several restaurants and shops to spend all day walking around. The gaslamp district is within walking distance (a few blocks north of the hotel). This hotel is probably within 15 minutes by car of all major attractions.

As mentioned before, I have stayed here before and enjoyed it every time. I got a great deal through priceline.com

p.s. be ready to pay 20.00 for parking per day. It seems high but it's standard price for any decent hotel in San Diego.

Stay here, you will not disappointed.

If you are have never been to S.D., make sure you visit old town and try their homemade tortillas. The food in most restaurants is decent.

• Liked — location and comfortable beds
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego? Share your experiences!