To celebrate our 20th anniversary, we thought it would be extremely romantic to stay in the Manchester's "Deluxe Bay View King" room, which appeared (from photos on the website) to offer a spectacular corner-window view of San Diego Bay, a luxurious king bed, and was within walking distance to the nightlife of the Gaslamp quarter and Seaport Village. We booked our reservation 3 weeks in advance, and asked for the AAA rate.
Upon arrival at the hotel, we were informed that no such rooms were currently available. We were told that some of the hotel guests decided to stay a few more nights, and that the hotel legally could not make them give up their "Deluxe Bay View" rooms, even though the staff admitted that quite a few regular "Bay VIew" rooms were available to which, we thought, the interlopers could have been moved. At that point, having arranged for babysitters, etc., we were forced to accept a regular bay view room.
The regular Bay View room proved to be just OK...the bed indeed smelled wonderful, and we could sort of see the water from our bed, but we were unable to sleep through the slamming doors up and down the hall, voices in the hall, and general lack of insulation in the hotel.
We both felt that, had we known that the room we had planned on having would not be available, we would have chosen a different hotel. The Manchester is a great refuge if you are part of a convention or tour group which carries more clout.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Under new ownership. The Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego is the ultimate waterfront urban hotel and spa and tallest waterfront building on the West Coast rising high above magnificent San Diego Bay. Panoramic bay and city views welcome you in all of our 1628 newly renovated guestrooms including 76 suites. A 25,000 sq/ft roof top pool deck overlooks San Diego Bay and has 2-whirl pools, a pool bar, cabanas, fire pit and stage area. The Grand lobby is filled with marble, brass, dark stained woods and several grand paintings all lit naturally by 3 stories of windows, which look out over a massive 5 lane porte cochere giving the guest a sense of arrival not seen outside of Las Vegas. The hotel has two marina-view restaurants, a full service Marilyn Monroe Spa and Salon, a sky lounge, a lobby bar, coffee house, a deli and an upscale lounge/restaurant featuring specialty martinis, mojitos and California cuisine. The hotel has over 130,000 sq/ft of meeting space, featuring a 34,000 sq/ft exhibit hall, a 30,000 & 25,000 sq/ft ballrooms next to each other, a 10,000 sq/ft Jr Ballroom and 41 meeting rooms and 45 conference suites. We hope to welcome you soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Booking.com, Amex, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Priceline, HotelTravel.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego Hotel San Diego
- Hyatt San Diego
- San Diego Hyatt
- Manchester Hyatt San Diego
- Grand Hyatt San Diego