“Nice, but some quirks” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
texas
“Nice, but some quirks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My wife & I stayed at the Hyatt Regency La Jolla during a long weekend trip to San Diego. It is a very nice property, but it has a couple of quirks that a traveler should be aware of. The interior designer who decided that a sliding glass door would make a great bathroom door should be fired. One of the few things I want from a bathroom is privacy, and this door has a half inch gap all the way around it, even when it is closed. If your partner gets up in the night to use the bathroom, the entire hotel room is bathed in light, since the door is glass. This door probably looked great on paper, but is very impractical. As long as I'm beating up on the bathroom, I also wonder why they use fragrance-free toiletries. Shampoo, conditioner, body wash, soap, all fragrance-free. Seems like an odd choice to me. Otherwise, this is a very nice hotel, with several restaurant options, a beautiful pool, and adjacent to the San Diego Sporting Club.

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

I recently visited the Hyatt Regency La Jolla and was satisfied with my stay. The facilities were clean and new and the staff was for the most part friendly, with one exception. There was a security guard named Jorge who was completely rude, condescending, and overzealous. My husband and children were in the lobby when Jorge came over to start interrogating them about what they were doing there. When I came down he requested to see my room key, which I promptly showed him. After this he took our last name and looked it up in the system to verify that we were guests. The whole thing made me feel like a criminal and made me feel as if I didn't belong. I still do not know why Jorge singled us out of everybody in the crowd. I'd like to think it wasn't because of our race but I know that we cannot always be sure of that in the world we live in today. Honestly, the hotel was beautiful but my memories are marred by this experience. I hope if and when we do come back we can be treated as humans, not as criminals when we are paying guests.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Davis, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The Hyatt charges a lot of money for everything yet the experience is very average. Once you get past the sparkling lobby, this is pretty much like any other average hotel I have stayed at. I came to the Hyatt on business but I kept wondering "why do wealthy people spend so much money to stay at a place like this?" It has fewer amenities than a Best Western yet the price is 3x higher.

Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Room was perfect!

Two big beds that would fit family of four. View was nice.

Bathroom was clean and fresh.

The outside area with the firepits was very cozy. The pool area was good with lots of sunbeds

Gym was okey, I would like to see more free weigths

Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Spent 3 nights here on a business trip. I really enjoyed my stay.

The staff are all very friendly and helpful. I enjoyed every interaction with them.

The room was very comfortable and everything worked.

The location is a tad problematic. There are three or so restaurants across the "driveway" but all are high end and more than what I was looking for. Fortunately, about a half mile away there are several shopping centers with loads of restaurants and a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods. That area became a destination each night.

I also noticed that they respond to every review on TripAdvisor. To me, that connotes interest in making sure that each guest has either the best experience possible, or gets their concerns addressed straight away. Good work Hyatt management!

I wanted to go into La Jolla proper but had no car. The staff showed me how to catch the local bus and it was easy. I spent a wonderful afternoon walking along the coast then getting refreshment at Karl Strauss' brew pub.

I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations at Hyatt Regency La Jolla, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for your 3 night business trip stay with us! I am glad your had a great Hyatt experience with the friendly and helpful staff, comfortable room and the help with local transportation.

Best Regards,

Thimothy C. – Guest Relations
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed here this past week for a business trip. The hotel is beautiful. the rooms are spacious with modern bathrooms and comfortable beds as well as good workspace/desk. there is an in-room coffee maker and safe as well (although no fridge which would have been a nice bonus). the fitness center is open 24/7 and is well equipped with modern machines. There is also a small store in the lobby that opens at 5:30 where I was able to buy coffee and breakfast as early as 5:30 am. There is also a breakfast buffet at the main restaurant which I didn't try since I preferred to eat lightly. I had lunch at Japengo which is part of the hotel and is located across from the hotel. Great sushi and atmosphere although a bit pricey. I had room service for dinner. Food was quite good, price reasonable and arrived promptly.
The front desk personnel were extremely helpful and pleasant. wi-fi is complimentary-I really appreciated that.
my only complaint is that it is not within walking distance to the beach or La Jolla restaurants.

Green Features: .I noticed that there were recycling garbage receptacles in the room and information in the in-room hotel guide to let guests know what could be placed in the recycling bins.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Hyatt Guest Services at Hyatt Regency La Jolla, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Hyatt Regency LaJolla. It’s good to hear the staff was helpful and pleasant and you enjoyed your spacious room. Delighted you enjoyed lunch at Japengo and appreciate the lobby store for an early light breakfast. Hope you got a change to get to the beach at some time during your stay, even though it is not within walking distance. We look forward to welcoming you again for your next business trip.

Lois M Hyatt Guest Services
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

As mentioned in the title this hotel is located cenrtally to many beaches shopping places and many things that you want to explore around that area. whole food and many other shopping places are just 5 min away. Beach was just 5 min away so when we travelled from SD to Las vegas we stopped over another beach which was just 5 min away from the hotel thus checking out 2 beaches(first was the Coronado island/beach). Highly recommend to have breakfast in the hotel is saves a lot of time and the kids love it and are fully energized to explore the area.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations at Hyatt Regency La Jolla, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thanks for the wonderful feedback! The beaches and shopping so close make our location perfect. I hope you were able to enjoy the beach and shopping, they are truly amazing.

Best Regards,

Thimothy C. – Guest Relations

Been to Hyatt Regency La Jolla? Share your experiences!