“First Class Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Saint Louis, Missouri
“First Class Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency La Jolla this summer when we were visiting San Diego and La Jolla sites. It was conveniently located, a short drive anywhere in La Jolla, with quick access to San Diego. The room was nicely finished, with one of the best looking bathrooms I've seen in any hotel. The staff--from front desk / concierge to bell staff--were knowledgable, available, and helpful. As I recall, parking is available in an underground garage at a separate daily fee. There is also street parking, but you may or may not be lucky on that front. All in, we enjoyed our stay and would choose HRLJ again when visiting that area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Stockton, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

This is a AAA rated four-star hotel, but I was not impressed. We got a good rate compared to the exorbitant normal room rate charge and stayed two days. The location is in a real nice area with nice shopping centers and restaurant's near by, but the beds were terrible in my opinion. We had two queen beds in our room and the mattress was way too soft. Unless I slept on the edge of the mattress, I sunk into a hole with my wife toward the middle. On the second night our toilet overflowed onto the floor after my son used it (it had been bubbling the day before when the next room flushed their toilet). Nice mess on the bathroom floor, but a repairman arrived within 15 minutes and fixed it.

Our AAA package included free breakfast for two each morning, but there was such a long line just to get a table that I left both times. It seems they don't have enough tables to handle the flow so I ate at a near by Corner Bakery restaurant that was very good.

The staff was very responsive to our requests for more towels and coffee, but the bathroom has poor ventilation and it steamed up very badly during shower time. The shower/tub combo has a weird half, glass shower door over the tub and this causes water to easily get all over the floor during a shower (a poor design feature).

After this experience, I wondered how this place received a AAA four-star rating??? I would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

I've been in Hyatt La Jolla in May 2013 for the annual ISDC conference of NSS. I am very thankful to the hotel's team who help our group a lot with organizing our trip in San Diego, booking tickets and transportation. The accommodation was great!

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency La Jolla, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
I'm very happy to hear that the hotel was very accommodating during stay. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review. Please come back and see us again soon!

Thanks,

Danny
Mty
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

Great hotel! Everything was fine. The only thing was the bad wi-fi. Food was delicious and rooms are really comfortable. The bed and pillows were a plus.
Nearby mall to go shopping. Very good facilities for conferences and group meetings.

• Stayed July 2014
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency La Jolla, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
I was happy to see you enjoyed the rooms, facilities and location of the Hyatt Regency La Jolla. I hope you can stay with us again soon.

-John S, Guest Relations Associate
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I was here for a week for a conference. The hotel staff couldn't have done a better job. The food was fantastic and appropriately diverse. The conference facilities were great as well. As far as the rooms, they are above average hotel rooms that are comfortable with a great view. No complaints about the property.

My only issue is that it is a bit isolated. There's a few places that are walkable, but they are more of the strip mall variety. Because of the conference, I didn't need to venture out. But on the last day when I went hunting for a cup of coffee, it was a struggle. The coffee shop inside the hotel uses a machine, so I decided to look for a handcrafted cup which I found at a Peets coffee about a 15 minute walk away.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Staten Island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Was there on an 8 day trip through So Cal.
Day of arrival was quite hectic as they seemed very overbooked. Everyone was being asked to come back later even though we arrived around 4 pm.
Went and hung out at the pool until they would call us and tell us our room was prepared.
Never got the call but called them at 6 ish and room was ready.
Front desk valeted car for free that day and gave us vouchers for our 3 day stay for the breakfast buffet.
Very kind and generous and really made the waiting not an issue at all.
Also moved us to a better room the next day moving our bags for us as well.
Overall great service from them to alleviate any annoyance one might have had for the situation.
very kid friendly property too , large shallow part of pool.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Beijing, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I spent a week at Hyatt Regency La Jolla for a conference. They did a great job accommodating the volume (about 500 people) with excellent dinner every night, boxed lunches and plentiful breakfast buffet. Not many items were repeated, which is quite impressive. They kept the public washrooms and common areas clean all the time, even though we were everywhere and lots of people didn't clean up after themselves.

One huge bit of disappointment was their housekeeping staff. One day, we returned to our room (it had been cleaned) and the door was ajar. Good thing we locked our valuables in their safe. Another conference attendee, however, had a broken safe and it would not open. They had to have the security manager open it somehow. In addition, the replenishing of toiletries was very inconsistent. The first day, they threw out our half used toiletries without replacing them so we had to call for more. The next day, they restocked one of everything. The following day, they took all the toiletries away (used and unused) but didn't replace. It went on like this every day.

I understand we had a conference going on (and I think another meeting, I saw people with different badges) but the elevator was the SLOWEST I have ever been on!

The in-room wi-fi is terrible. I am not sure if it is free or paid because our conference organizer comped it for us. But the signal is very weak.

Beds are VERY comfortable. Hard to get out of.

Last thing, I don't know too much about the surroundings since we didn't have time to explore but from driving in and out of there, I know there's a mall nearby.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Been to Hyatt Regency La Jolla? Share your experiences!