“Excellent place for a conference.” 4 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast for Two
Ranked #117 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Excellent place for a conference.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I was here for a week for a conference. The hotel staff couldn't have done a better job. The food was fantastic and appropriately diverse. The conference facilities were great as well. As far as the rooms, they are above average hotel rooms that are comfortable with a great view. No complaints about the property.

My only issue is that it is a bit isolated. There's a few places that are walkable, but they are more of the strip mall variety. Because of the conference, I didn't need to venture out. But on the last day when I went hunting for a cup of coffee, it was a struggle. The coffee shop inside the hotel uses a machine, so I decided to look for a handcrafted cup which I found at a Peets coffee about a 15 minute walk away.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Staten Island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Was there on an 8 day trip through So Cal.
Day of arrival was quite hectic as they seemed very overbooked. Everyone was being asked to come back later even though we arrived around 4 pm.
Went and hung out at the pool until they would call us and tell us our room was prepared.
Never got the call but called them at 6 ish and room was ready.
Front desk valeted car for free that day and gave us vouchers for our 3 day stay for the breakfast buffet.
Very kind and generous and really made the waiting not an issue at all.
Also moved us to a better room the next day moving our bags for us as well.
Overall great service from them to alleviate any annoyance one might have had for the situation.
very kid friendly property too , large shallow part of pool.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Beijing, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I spent a week at Hyatt Regency La Jolla for a conference. They did a great job accommodating the volume (about 500 people) with excellent dinner every night, boxed lunches and plentiful breakfast buffet. Not many items were repeated, which is quite impressive. They kept the public washrooms and common areas clean all the time, even though we were everywhere and lots of people didn't clean up after themselves.

One huge bit of disappointment was their housekeeping staff. One day, we returned to our room (it had been cleaned) and the door was ajar. Good thing we locked our valuables in their safe. Another conference attendee, however, had a broken safe and it would not open. They had to have the security manager open it somehow. In addition, the replenishing of toiletries was very inconsistent. The first day, they threw out our half used toiletries without replacing them so we had to call for more. The next day, they restocked one of everything. The following day, they took all the toiletries away (used and unused) but didn't replace. It went on like this every day.

I understand we had a conference going on (and I think another meeting, I saw people with different badges) but the elevator was the SLOWEST I have ever been on!

The in-room wi-fi is terrible. I am not sure if it is free or paid because our conference organizer comped it for us. But the signal is very weak.

Beds are VERY comfortable. Hard to get out of.

Last thing, I don't know too much about the surroundings since we didn't have time to explore but from driving in and out of there, I know there's a mall nearby.

Milton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I had the pleasure of staying here for a 7 day conference and I have to tell you it is an excellent hotel. The staff of always there to serve, providing instant attention when needed, the check in was quick and efficient and when I realized I had forgotten a comb, they just gave me one. We had a selection of food prepared by the hotel throughout the week and every aspect was superb, whether it was the prime rib and steaks, or the salmon and chicken. We had sushi and chinese dumplings as well as tamales and fajitas. Desserts were always a pleasure and one evening we had gelato and even root beer floats. The open court yards were lit with LED lights in the ground and warmed by open air fire pits and flames which were spectacular. There were even fire pits on the outdoor patio by the bar (one of our favourite after hours hang-out).

There is also a fitness centre which is not included with your stay but is well equipped but the pool is included and it is the first pool I have ever seen at a hotel that was standard size (25m) with lanes setup as well and it opens at 5:00 am, a real bonus for early morning swimmers like myself.

The rooms were also beautiful with exceptional mattresses and soft sheets and covers, as well as 3 pillows which your head just sinks into like a warm massage. Mounted on the wall was a 40" LED TV and there was a desk with a lamp which has AC outlets by the power switch on the base, which I like very much. There is wireless and wired Internet access available as well. One of the really cool features was the huge sliding smoked glass door for the bathroom, it was thick and solid and rolled effortlessly on the rail system. The shower was a beautiful reflective glass tiling with a rain shower and handheld head. The shower/bath door was only a partial door, with a small hinged portion which I though would cause water to splatter out but it was surprisingly well designed and no water ever escaped. The sink was a round vessel type and was large and impressive in the design as was the backlit mirror which covered most of the wall.

So with all this said you must be wondering what the only issue was... well, I like unpacking and placing everything in drawers and hanging shirts etc... I was able to hang things but there were no cupboards to place my other things in so I was literally living out of my suitcase. I have these Heys packing cubes which makes unpacking and packing so easy (http://shop.heys.ca/collections/accessories/products/ecotex-5-pc-packing-cube-set-new-with-front-zippered-pocket) but with no drawers to put them in I was quite disappointed.

Overall the Hyatt Regency La Jolla was excellent, it would have rated a 5 if they just put some cupboards with drawers in the room for me.

Room Tip: I like higher floors and here is no exception, the higher the room the better and the lower numbers...
Green Features: Nice to see recycling bins right beside the trash bins so you can make an environmentally conscious choice easily.
Killarney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency La Jolla for just over a week for a conference Everything was wonderful. The staff were incredible they went above and beyond their duties. The food was wonderful - they catered for up to 500 people every evening and the food was hot & delicious.

Stayed July 2014
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency La Jolla, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your stay at the Hyatt Regency La Jolla. I'm so delighted that you enjoyed your stay and our amazing staff. I'm so happy that you enjoyed our food options. I will certainly forward all your feedback to our management team.

I hope you have an opportunity to stay with us again.

Becky S-Guest Relations Associate
Warrnambool, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I have recently aspect a week at the Hyatt Regency La Jolla and found it to a good hotel with very welcoming staff.

Its location is not great if you are a tourist as a Westfield Shopping Centre is the only really place within an easy walk (15-20 minutes). You can walk to La Jolla Beach and Birch Aquarium but thats a bit of a hike (30minutes). If you have a car no problem as only 15 minutes or so from down town San Diego.

The hotel appears an older hotel but rooms have been refurbished.

Not great sound proofing between rooms - I was woken a couple of night when the gentleman in the next room answered or made international calls (I assumed because of time and his speaking a non English language)

Airconditioning was quiet and efficient.

Rooms were clean and generally serviced well each day. Bathrooms were fine - shower was part of bath tub.

Staff were always courteous and welcoming ..... service was good.

Spacious bar with numerous television screens scattered around (was useful when the World Cup Final was on!) and two gas fire places outside bar added a nice touch.

Good Gym and access to a good pool.

There are 4 lifts that are very slow!

Room Tip: There are no "great" views but the rooms overlooking the pool area are probably preferable...
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

Staying here for a business trip. The hotel staff are super friendly. The catering for lunch and dinner was always of the highest quality, healthy options. The renovated room was stunning. One the 11th floor with a big stunning King bed, nice bathroom (no bath tub) and an extra large shower. My only disappointment coming from Australia is that the rooms don't have a mini bar nor a kettle. A simple filtered coffee machine is stored in the wardrobe.
An awesome hotel non-the-less.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency La Jolla, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
I appreciate you taking a moment of your time to provide us with your thoughtful feedback. It is fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your experience at our property. I am pleased you found your room to be well appointed and the food options to be of great quality. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt Hotels and Resorts in the future!

Brock S. - A Guest Relations Associate

Been to Hyatt Regency La Jolla? Share your experiences!