“Excellent Experience!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Mission Bay

You added Hyatt Regency Mission Bay to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Mission Bay
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1441 Quivira Road, San Diego, CA 92109 (Mission Bay Park)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast for Two
Ranked #163 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Boise, Idaho
“Excellent Experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

A weekend in February spent in a nice corner king bed room in the tower. We had views of the pools, the bay, and Mission Beach homes, as well as the coaster at Belmont Park! The room was well worn. The walls, floors, and furniture were scratched, scuffed, and ready for a renovation. The bed was comfortable. The room looked clean on the surface, but the carpet was too dirty to walk on without socks or shoes, and there is food and trash behind and underneath furniture. The property would have earned a 5 except the cleanliness and the fees. The resort fee, the parking fee, the internet fee, etc. etc. etc. The people were all helpful and kind, from the valets to the bellhops, to the front desk, to the cleaning crew. The location is easy to almost everything. Our experience was positive. We may return!

Room Tip: Tower rooms have a nice water view. I imagine the higher the better!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Turkish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

It is beyond me how anyone could rate this hotel as a 4 star or above. Our room was supposed to have 2 queen beds, they were double beds, there were cob webs along the ceiling, the TV didn't have a good picture. We were supposed to have a garden view, it was the parking lot. Self parking is $24 a night, they don't tell you that you can park in the road for free! And the $19 a night resort fee is BS. Although, the grounds of the resort were very nice.
I've stayed in Super 8's that has nicer rooms. And when we checked out at 4 am on Sunday, Feb. 16, 2014 we got to see a couple hookers leaving in cabs.
I would never stay here again and would not recommend. Keep looking there were a lot of hotels in the area offering free Wifi, breakfast and other things you have to pay for Wifi at this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, keep looking.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Kendra S, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Mission Bay, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear Pinktwils101,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay. Comments such as yours assist us in identifying key points of our hotel that are less than satisfactory for our guests. I regret to learn that you were not satisfied with your stay, but I certainly appreciate your feedback. I would like to offer you an apology for any inconvenience you experienced as a result. Rest assured, I have shared your comments with our management team and will ensure we follow up appropriately.

I hope you can view this as an isolated incident and allow us another opportunity to provide you with the level of service you expect from the Hyatt during your next stay in San Diego.

Irby Morvant
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

The hotel appears to have been built in the 60s, with a tower addition a few years later. Overall, a decent property, and I enjoyed my stay there on business for a week. Here's some specifics:

Positives -
*Views from the uppers floors in the tower are fantastic. However, a colleague stayed in the low-rise section attached to the lobby, and the room conditions and views in that section were not so good.
*The grounds are well maintained, and appear to have been updated. The pool area is very nice.
*My guest room in the tower was quite large. The bathroom, however, was small. I didn't notice worn furniture in my room, as some of the reviews have mentioned.
*I tried the bars at the poolside and at the waterfront locations - both provided good service.

Negatives -
*There were hardly any stores or restaurants near the hotel. It seemed a little deserted in the area. Some buildings near the hotel and harbor appeared to have been a shopping/restaurant complex back in the day, but these all look pretty much abandoned.
*The parking fee seemed steep for the area, considering all the open space in the vicinity
*Be prepared for barking seals all night if your room faces the marina.

Overall, the positive elements outweighed the negative ones for me, and I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Select the tower, and avoid the low rise rooms near the lobby.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

I've reviewed this hotel before and still think it's a "Very Good" place to stay with an important caveat. For 2014 the owners have added a $19/Day "resort fee" to the rate - the hotel equivalent of baggage fees that don't show up when price comparing. For your $19 you get a bunch of bogus amenities that were either already included before or not very useful for the business traveler (free bike rental? Free in-room bottled water although still marked at $3 each in the rooms). My company doesn't pay resort fees so unfortunately this hotel is off my list now after many, many previous stays. When you book their "bargain" rates remember that you've got parking and now resort fees to add to the total - a 50% increase added to their lowest off-season room rates. You can't beat the sunsets from the ocean view balconies here, though. I still may use this hotel for family trips but I'll shop a bit more next time.

Room Tip: Book a tower room and get the ocean view - great ocean sunsets on the balcony if you're into tha...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Spokane, Washington, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

Prior to booking...I did spend time reading recent reviews on Tripadvisor. Unfortunately, I did not listen and thought I would give the location a try since the Hyatt in La Jolla was full. I also noticed that the manager does respond to a number of the complaints. However, I can confirm that all of the complaints are confirmed. I paid for the "best" bay view room they had available. View was great if you looked out the the window. But, if you looked around the room...you would notice a very tired and dirty looking room. Furniture was beat up. Couches worn with stains. There was long, black hair in tub and on bathroom floor. Sliding door to balcony would not secure and there was a 1/4" gap at the bottom of the door.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Kendra S, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Mission Bay, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear 023113,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your recent stay. It was disappointing to hear that you were not pleased with the room and I would like to offer an apology for any inconvenience you experienced as a result. I have shared your comments with our management team and will ensure we make improvements where needed. I hope you can view this as an isolated incident and allow us the opportunity to serve you in the near future.

Irby Morvant
Camarillo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Stayed several days at the Hyatt on a business trip. I stayed in the suites that are next to the tower. The room was very nice with all the amenities you would expect. There was a musty smell but that might be attributed to being so close to the ocean. At any rate if you need a hotel that is not downtown or close to sea world, this might be your choice.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

Property is easy to get to and offers good views of Marina. Great location for sightseeing Mission Bay and easy to get around the City from here. The rooms are a bit rundown and lacking in modern convenience. We had an upgraded corner suite and found it difficult to find plugins for phone chargers, the room and bathroom was a bit dingy. Iron was dirty and would have ruined my white shirt if I hadn't noticed. Staff was helpful and nice, but for the price there are newer, cleaner and more modern property.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Regency Mission Bay? Share your experiences!