“On the lower end of the Hyatt brand.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Mission Bay

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Regency Mission Bay to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Mission Bay
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1441 Quivira Road, San Diego, CA 92109 (Mission Bay Park)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast for Two
Ranked #160 of 269 hotels in San Diego
Bellevue, WA
“On the lower end of the Hyatt brand.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

For a Hyatt Regency this hotel is on the low end of the scale. I have stayed at numerous Hyatt and Grand Hyatt hotels and several hundred hotel/motels in total. So for a Hyatt Regency this one is just average overall compared to the others.

Depending upon the time of day check-in at any hotel can be a breeze or a nightmare. In my case I only waited for one other person and the process was very efficient. My room was a "VIP Suite" on the 14th floor at the North end of the hallway. There is a sitting area which included a couch, table, lamps and a desk. The bedroom was separated screen drapers that could be closed similar as to what is usually at the main windows or a sliding door. In my view that was pretty useless and unnecessary. The king bed was up to Hyatt standards and the pillows were fine. The room was very clean and the housekeeping service was excellent. The bathroom was fairly small with a single sink and no vanity. There was a personal shower with sliding doors and no tube. The room also has a very small private balcony that overlooked Mission Bay, so there was a nice view. The "bedroom" had two windows that had venetian type blinds and even at night they let in quite a bit of light from the lights mounted on the outside of the building.. I would have preferred a much darker room at night. The room also had a small fridge and a safe.

I found most of the staff to be okay during my interaction with them. The pool staff seemed to pretty bored, although there were two lifeguards on duty each time I was there. The valet staff was great and retrieved my car each time very quickly. As for the pool area it was fairly small for the size of the hotel which had 17 floors. There were three pools and three slides, one for the kiddy pool and a larger one next to it that the slides emptied into. The largest pool seemed to be just for adults although I did see quite a few kids in it. Kids? Yes there are a whole lot of them and mostly young ones, due to the fact that SeaWorld is literally across the street from the hotel. Most of them were well behaved, but a few were little rascals that needed some supervision. I expected the throng of children and I enjoy kids, besides my grandson was one of them, but he was being supervised by mom and dad.

The Red Marlin restaurant which is part of the property was quite good. I ate dinner there one night and breakfast three times and enjoyed the food. The staff was adequate, but could have been more attentive in my opinion.

Yes, I consider this Hyatt average as compared to others, but I would stay here again in the future since I did not experience any issues that would prevent me from doing so.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a high floor to cut down on traffic noise from the nearby four lane road and th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

1,469 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Rooms are comfortable, but could use some updating. Not the Hyatt I have gotten used to. From check-in through the stay, the hotel seemed understaffed and unable to give the top notch service Hyatt is known for. For the nightly rate, I expected more. The Red Marlin Restaurant has good food and service. Check-in took hours (for me and many others in my group). Family friendly hotel (great if that's what you're seeking) and every room can hear the pool noise, so just beware. Location has nice views (from up high) and is close to the beach boardwalk scene. The beach is nice for running, but not a nightlife scene. Go to the Gas Lamp District.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor so you can see the views it has to offer.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Just stayed at the Hyatt Regency Mission Bay with 10 of my friends for my bachelorette weekend in San Diego. I would say most of the staff members either seemed to be high or did not really care to do their jobs. When we called the front desk asking for towels, utensils, or anything else, it often would never come. (When we asked for toilet paper, they gave us one roll - gee, thanks - we have 6 people in a room - I guess we'll play "Who can spare a square?"). The pool was the worst. Children everywhere, and the parents don't care to restrict their kids to what is obviously the children's pool. And, where are the lifeguards? Probably too busy flirting with other staff members cause we never saw one. I watched a Dad teaching his daughter how to dive into 3.5 feet of water right in front of me (and right in front of the "No Diving" written all around the edge of the pool). Want to escape the children in the hot tub? Nope, all the parents brought their little kiddies in their too, and made sure they wouldn't get bored by handing them water guns to shoot the whole time they were there. Want food and drinks while you're attempting to enjoy yourself poolside even though you keep getting splashed by unmonitored children in the pool? Forget about it. Someone might come by once every 1.5 hours, but good luck if that staff member can even remember your order right. Oh, and when you ask people for something, they sigh and tell you what a hardship it is for them and that it would be easier if we just came to them rather than they bring anything to you (and let's just pretend for a moment, actually do their jobs). Was this even a hotel I was staying at? Sure didn't feel like it. Felt like I was at a YMCA. I would never stay here again or any other Hyatt for that matter. The across-the-board terrible customer service is obviously a sign a horrible management. And why bother having 2 pools and a hot tub if you're not going to provide any poolside service and let kids have a complete run of the place? Maybe if it's no the height of summer and you're on a family trip, this is the place to be, but personally, I wouldn't want to give this place or this chain a penny of my money ever again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

If you are a business traveler, you know how hard it is to pick a hotel that will be just simply comfortable -- so look no further if your business takes you to SD. I happened to stay in that hotel before the major renovation, and after, and that renovation really made a lot of difference. The place is simply perfect right now. Your room will be stylish and efficiently comfortable, the pool downstairs will be as relaxing as you can imagine, the garden will be soothing and quiet right as you want it to be.
A short drive away is the Mission Bay beach, with trendy shopping and great atmosphere of an ideal freedom-filled Californian, with campfires burned at night, great crown strolling around.
In simple words, I don't think you will find anything bad about this hotel. In my years of travel, I found this hotel to be the best I stayed in so far.

Make sure you understand though -- I am traveling mostly business. I don't know how would it feel to travel with the family, but frankly, I think this hotel is best for business travelers and romantic couples or groups of adult friends.

Room Tip: The higher is the rom, the better, as you will have progressively more stunning views. Also the pool...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Carefree, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

My wife and I spent four night here in June, hoping for a quiet hotel on the water. Instead, the hotel was crowded with families, and lots of kids and early teens. Nothing wrong with that--but a very different atmosphere. The first night we had an 11th floor tower room above the pool--very noisy. We moved for the next three nights to the side of the tower away from the pool--much nicer and quieter. In addition, we were treated to the SeaWorld fireworks at 9:45 each evening, as well as honking seals.

Britteny at the front desk deserves a gold star for making these arrangements and keeping us happy!

Some other notes: The hotel is difficult to get to, and is away from the city itself, but is located in a marina area, so the surroundings are very pleasant. Self-parking at this hotel is lousy for $24--spaces are small and encourage bad parking. BUT parking under the building next to the parking lot is safe and spaces are adequate. Also, the Red Marlin Restaurant, which is part of the hotel was very good for dinner.

Room Tip: Rooms in the tower are very noisy if they face the swimming pool, and are much quieter on the other...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

We just got back from staying 4 nights @ the Hyatt! My mom, 2 kids and myself stayed there. We love the pools the best ever! I love how helpful everyone at the front desk! I especially loved Tori @ front desk check in, on Wednesday night I went down to check on my check out date and she noticed we were very very sun burned a hour later we received a gallon of milk/cream to put on our sunburned bodies....what she googled and researched for us....Tori it worked and how great of you to do that. In our world today there are not many people like Tori anymore! Our room was great my sons loved the strawberry banana drink @ the tides we love the roasting marshmallows every night! It's a little piece of paradise and we can't wait to go back again!

• Stayed June 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

As a Platinum Hyatt guest who spends many nights a year in Hyatt hotels traveling on business across the country I would caution other business travelers to avoid the Hyatt Regency Mission Bay in San Diego, CA.

I have had two multiple night stays at this Hyatt property this year, one in March and most recently June. The Hyatt is beautiful, on the ocean and close to Sea World. This Hyatt property caters to a lot of families. They do not understand or attempt to accommodate the business traveler.

Traveling to this Hyatt property for the first time in March with four business associates we were surprised that our rooms were not available for check in when we arrived late afternoon. It took multiple trips to the front desk to get checked in late in the day. All of us are Platinum.

We returned in June to exactly the same situation. Rooms were not available when we attempted to check in around 4pm. One of us did not get a room until 6pm. We had a scheduled business dinner that night and after spending six hours on a plane we were not able to shower or change. We attended the meeting in jeans. When we spoke the front desk manager we were informed that there was a Hyatt Diamond guest who had been waiting for a room for hours. Obviously getting loyal business travelers into their rooms so that they can get down to business is not a top priority.

Once checked in we quickly found out that cleaning our rooms was also not a priority. Late afternoon was the norm, with one room not cleaned until after 6pm.

Business travelers beware.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hyatt Regency Mission Bay? Share your experiences!