“Great Location, Nice Property” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Mission Bay

You added Hyatt Regency Mission Bay to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Mission Bay
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1441 Quivira Road, San Diego, CA 92109 (Mission Bay Park)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #161 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Tacoma, WA
“Great Location, Nice Property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

I was here for a conference in late March, over all I would stay here again. The room in the "Tower" all have amazing views. I had a Jr. Suit, corner room, on the 4th floor and it was one of the best rooms I have ever had. I was not overly impressed with the restaurant or the Swim Bar food, but only had to eat there a couple times. Most of our meals were catered by the hotel and they were all excellent.

I think my only complaint (and nothing the hotel can do about it without spending lots of $$) was the water noise when someone above or near your room was taking a shower, it was enough to wake me all three nights.

The air conditioning was quite which is one of the things that I love or hate about a hotel, so I was surprised to hear the water pressure noise so easily. Still not enough to say I would never go back.

Great facility for conferences!

Room Tip: Ask for a cornor room in the tower they have the best views, but any room in the tower will have a g...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Turkish first
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stayed the Hyatt for 7 days in a waterfront 2 queen bed suite.
Sounds the goods? Wrong!!
There a 3 levels to the suites which are set apart from the main part of hotel by a 100 meter walk , 150 meters to pool.
The room s were very old in presentation,carpet way over due for replacing,crunchy under bare foot,yuck.
We started off in the ground level suite there was 4 of us 2 children under 5 in the party the balcony which opens up to the marina is a public walk way so you have people doing the eye spy thing start in your room beware when walking out of bathroom with blinds open.
The room smelt awful as really does not get sun in the room so you have a stale salt smell.
Made worse by the cleaning staff not cleaning out the fridge of week old pizza and orange juice.
There is a warning on fridge that they are not cold enough to keep medical or dairy products cold, let me tell you it didn't keep any thin g cold.
The beds are soft for the first few hours you will then wake up with a sore back as the beds are old and sagging in the middle of the bed.
Bathroom was really old again not much positive here.
No coffee/tea supplies in rooms, tvs old and do not have a good range of channels and we lost channels during our stay due to "problems with account holder" this was displayed on tv screen.
Line is thin, towels have strange smell about them and you could see bleach marks through them.
Parking is really poor not enough parking for quests by 8pm and is illegal to park on street, see front of office people explain no parking they will let you park in the valet parking for same cost as self parking but be quick this fills as well.
We asked to be change to a different room due to people striking up conversations with children from path when they sat on balcony some grubby people use this path.
We were changed to 2nd level but rooms had same problem but did get sun to burn out the smell.
You will hear people in other rooms above and below you and staff with room service or cleaning you will hear as the trolleys run over the gaps in path for that clunk clink clunk sound all hours.
Staff were helpful and happy.
The 2 positive point taken from hotel was the Red Marline Restaurant really good food and staff and the 2nd being the pool with 3 watersides but these close at 5pm but pool open till 9pm ?
A lot better value to be had at same cost around San Diego,will not stay here again.
PS beware of cab drivers at front of hotel they will rip you off on fares this happen every time we caught a cab 4 times,cheaper quicker to get a town car,speak to concierge they put us on to a drive by the name of Mick from Bev Limos ,concierge and front of office staff know how bad they are but wont /don't warn you.
PPS they don't allow pets but do /cant enforce this as the suites are separate from main hotel and we saw 3 dogs being taken into different rooms on the qt.

Room Tip: No such thing as a good room here.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Kendra S, Director of Quality Assurance at Hyatt Regency Mission Bay, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Dear uter,

Thank you for your informative review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your experience at our restaurant Red Marlin, as well as the service provided by our staff. I am pleased that our Front Desk staff was able to provide you with a room move upon your request to be on a higher floor, however I am sorry that this move did not improve your stay. I have shared your comments regarding the condition of your guestrooms with our Director of Engineering and Director of Housekeeping to ensure your comments are addressed internally. Although the in-room coolers are not meant for storing items such as milk and medications, we do offer mini refrigerators for our guests convenience upon request, which we would be happy to delivery to your room. Thank you for your comment regarding the taxi drivers servicing our hotel- I will be sure to share you comments regarding rates with our Bell staff and Valet staff to ensure this issue is promptly addressed. Please know that we carefully review all guest comments and use this feedback to make changes and improvements throughout our hotel as appropriate. If I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

Advise staying on a higher floor for the views, though the suites are in a different building and have only a few floors, they overlook the channel going out. The views are amazing, and the place is literally five minutes from Sea World (which was a disappointment compared to Orlando). Nice rooms, pretty modern, but nothing really special. Lots of pools which was nice, only spent two days there and pretty much just slept at the hotel, did nothing else. Service at higher end place attached to the hotel was mediocre at best.

Room Tip: If you pick a single room, ask for a higher floor, views are amazing from club level floors. Ones f...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Mount Royal, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Pros:
Beautiful property, pool, scenery and landscaping
large functional rooms
Room service food arrive hot and was delicious
meeting rooms were nice
great running / biking trails and park in the area
great friendly service
Cons:
Would have liked a few more restaurants attractions within walking distance. There is a really nice beach area about 2 miles away but we had a hard time finding more than 1-2 places to eat in the area right around the hotel and downtown is a little drive from the resort
Rooms showed some minor blemishes, no deal breakers but just enough to remind you other people had stayed in the room.

Room Tip: I was in the 'tower'. My room was big with a sitting area which was bigger than normal sitt...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Kendra S, Director of Quality Assurance at Hyatt Regency Mission Bay, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Dearl mjlynch,
I am delighted to learn of your recent stay with us; thank you, we truly appreciate the feedback. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the layout of our great outdoor property and that you were able to take advantage of great offerings of Mission Bay including the great running and biking trails. You might try out our complimentary shuttle service that transports our guests to and from Mission Beach where you can find all sorts of great restaurants, shops, and Mission Beach's well known Belmont Park; rollercoaster and all! It is also just a 10 minute drive to downtown San Diego and the Gaslamp District, which also offers wonderful opportunities for good food and fun. Again, we appreciate the comments and we hope to welcome you back to our property in sunny San Diego in the near future. If I can be of further assistance please feel free to reach out to me directly.

San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

First of all I will start with the positives. The restaurant is very good and the staff there are very friendly; The Bagel bros does great Coffee and being near mission beach etc made getting around very easy. A swimming pool is heated and very nice.

Now for the downside - the rooms. I have stayed in a wide variety of Hyatt / Omnis and Hiltons around the world so I am used to some ' intresting' situations when it comes to hotel but this has to go down as the worst experience with rooms I have had for a very long time. Received upgrade due to status - opened the curtains, looked out of the balcony to gaze upon the wonderful view of the garbage bins and AC system off the balcony. So requested the rooms which I had originally booked in the suites, walked through the doors and stepped back into the 80s. Opened the curtains to be face to face with a couple staring over the hedge into our room ( not the water / ocean view I was expecting). Sofa was broken and 1 of the queen beds was broken, generally dirty with a strange smell and humming noise ( I was now next to the garbage bins and the A/C unit). Moved again into the tower, higher floor but still lookiing over the garbage and the incesent noise of the a/c system rumbling most of the day and night. bath switch broke so trying to shower a 2 year old for 3 days was challenging. Reported the issue to reception who kept promising maintenance would repair but to no avail. Then no hot water unless we ran the shower for a full 10mins every morning.

I could go on but I think you get the picture - to summarise: lovely hotel, great location, restaurant staff and consiege very helpful but rooms and noise need sorting. Main advice, beware of the suits unless you fancy a trip back to the 80s and bring cleaning items with you.

Room Tip: do not choose the suits and if in the tower, get as high a floor as possible
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear ACSKINS,

We appreciate the feedback and are sorry to learn of your experience at our hotel. Please know I have shared your comments with our Director of Housekeeping and Director of Engineering so they can look into these guestroom issues internally. I am dissappointed to learn that you were moved to three different rooms during your stay in an effor to provide you with a suitable room for your family's needs. I will personally follow up with our Front Office Manager to ensure we review room selection with our Front Desk Agents to prevent similar issues in the future. On a positive note, I am very happy to hear that there were many aspects of your stay that you were able to enjoy such as the great service provided by our staff, the delicious food offered at Red Marlin and Einstein's Bros. Bagels, and the lovely pool area. Please know we carefully monitor all of our reviews and use this information to make changes and improvements throughout our hotel as appropriate. Again, I am sorry to hear that your experience did not exceed your expectations. If I can be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly.

Biloxi, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

We got a great rate of $95 through priceline and the location was very central to all the attractions we wanted to see. We were thrilled since this property frequently rents for over $200. However, we learned that there is an additional parking charge of $20 per night. I have paid additional parking fees in large cities downtown but I can't see how this property gets away with it since they are not downtown, and they have a huge parking lot for guests. This always seems a bit dishonest to me because people reserving rooms on the major internet sites think they are getting one price when in fact, the price is $20 higher per night. The right thing to do is just raise your room rates $20 and don't charge for parking. We were placed in a two story building with a small room that was very musty smelling. I could not take it. So I went to the front desk and spoke to Jeff who did change my room to the tower. The difference in the rooms from the two story to the tower is significant. We went from a small smelly room to a much larger room with a air purifier in the room and a balcony with a great view of the harbor. They did not have a room with two beds available so Jeff sent up a complimentary rollaway bed. Jeff is a great asset to this property and if it were not for him, I would have rated the hotel very low. He salvaged our stay. Both rooms had off white walls, white comforters, and were very bland and should be updated. However, two good things were the comfort of the bed and the great shower head that really delivered a powerful stream of hot water! I probably would not stay here again though. I would try a different property in La Jolla or del Mar area.

Room Tip: You must insist on the tower when you check in. This is a old hotel with musty rooms. The tower has...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear busielady1,

Thank you for the review. We greatly appreciate your candid comments, which help us to continually make changes and improvements where necessary. We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your interactions with our Front Desk Agent Jeff and that he was able to positively impact your stay with us. I have shared your comments regarding the condition of your guestroom with our Director of Engineering and Rooms Executive to be followed up with internally.

Regarding our parking charges, although we do find our rates to be competitive with neighboring Mission Bay hotels, we do offer some package rates that include parking, internet, and other wonderful add ons. These packages can be found on our "Special Offers" page on our website, missionbay.hyatt.com. I hope this is helpful and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

San Jose del Cabo, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

My husband and I decided to have a getaway for the weekend he picked up this hotel, which is really nice , amenities are o.k comfy bed, pillows, nice staff, heated pool and nice environment... BUT it is very noisy we could hear from our 8th floor room the sea lions "singing" the whole night.... also they charge 20 dlls for self parking which i thing is too much, its hard to find a spot to park....for what we paid they should have free WiFi........ what I found outrageous is that they charge 3 dlls per every small single bottle of water. as I said it before it is a nice hotel... has a great view and location.... the bagel place which is right at the marina it is a must...

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear lanita5,

Thank you for your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay with us, particularly the comfy bed, great pool area, and wonderful service provided by our staff. I regret to hear that our sea lion locals were disruptive to your stay. We do offer ear plugs for our light sleepers upon request, which are a great option if the sea lions decide to "sing' early in the morning. Regarding your comments about our parking fee, although we do find that our prices are competitive with neighboring Mission Bay hotels, we do offer a Park n' Surf package which includes complimentary self parking and complimentary internet. This might be a nice option for your next visit. It is also great to hear that you enjoyed Einstein's Bagels- the location on the boardwalk is lovely for a morning cup of coffee. Thanks again for your comments and please feel free to contact me if I may be of further assistance.

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina

Been to Hyatt Regency Mission Bay? Share your experiences!