“Good hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Hotel Circle

You added Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Hotel Circle to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Hotel Circle
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1631 Hotel Circle South, San Diego, CA 92108 (Mission Valley / Hotel Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #234 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Ensenada, Mexico
“Good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

I really enjoyed this hotel, altough they could have a better breakfast and the snacks machines could have worked better but it was ok.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Essex, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

At $59 + tax this was a bargain, but I'm glad I didn't have to spend too much time here - and the time I did spend was occupied watching the TV (Showtime & HBO channels, but quite a few missing from the rest of the line-up), which helped drown out the noise of the traffic. Check-in clerk was almost incomprehensible, but room was perfectly adequate - clean and everything seemed to work OK (fridge included - didn't try the microwave or coffee-maker). Pool looked OK if you just wanted to get wet and/or had the standards of a 3-year old (I decided it would depress me too much to venture into the water with its views across the parking lot to the tenement-looking hotel). Hotel Circle South is good for access to Old Town and Hillcrest (take Bachman Place to the local shops and diners), visits to which enable you to forget where you're staying. I'm sure there are better places in the Circle than here (though the tv may not be as good).

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Phoenix
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2009

Room seemed put together with paper clips and string. Everything hung at wrong place (mirrors, hairdryer), the furniture was ok but bath sink vanity was yard-sale quality. Pool is unheated, and just out in the open parking lot, next to a nasty hot tub and the out-of-order washer & dryer! I guess you could stand on your car hood and jump over the metal gate into the pool if you wanted. Seedy characters everywhere, not just guests but employees. Don't stay here if you have kids too young to witness a crime or the pimps running their girls out of these rooms. If you are just a vagabond traveling with everything you own in your car (like the other guest couple we met), this is a good place to stay for $59 a night in California I guess. But tourists, beware...you may forget you are in San Diego and think it's rather like a third world country hotel. It was really close to downtown, Sea World, and the airport though. But so are a million other places that probably have working lightbulbs and hot water that doesn't scald you.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

i went to san diego with my friend it was sort of small trip. we stayed at howard johnson for 4 nights. it was nice to stay over there. they gave us good rate.the room was not enough spacious but it was quite clean and it was ok if you dont have too much baggage. in the room we had refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, and also a safe. they got 7 HBO and showtime. free parking. in the morning they serve free breakfast and also free USA today. the location of the hotel was perfect with I-8 pass by and also it is quite near to san diego attraction. the hotel staff was nice and help us lot with directions.

in the back of hotel there was a pool and spa and also they got laundry.
each day we got room service and they they also give us toiletry on asking for them.
i would like to stay at same howard johnson again as it was nice experience.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
kayenchanted
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2008

When I arrived at the hotel I found a barefoot clerk that looked like he was trying to get into the Guiness Book of World Records for Longest Fingernails – Most establishments have a dress code and require a certain level of personal hygeine, so I was a little put off by this.

I arrived at my hotel room only to find that I had to shoulder-chuck the door to open it and employ a group of large men to manhandle it closed again. Upon entering the room I found that the cause of this inconvenience was the horribly warped and uneven floor.

I was able to make my way safely across the floor to the balcony only to find that I had a view of the ghetto and a pool that looked like it was filled with stew rather than water and chlorine. Shortly after arriving at the balcony I realized that it was barely even attached to the building so I retreated to the “safety” of my room.

Making my way to the bathroom I found myself letting out a sigh of relief that I still had my shoes on as the tiles covering the floor were so uneven that walking on them was more like an extreme sport or walking on broken glass. I was expecting to find that the shower didn’t even HAVE a floor, but to my surprise it did. All in all the place was disgusting and I will never return. But I suppose it could have been worse… Maybe?

• Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Waco, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2007

1st night:[ My disabled/elderly mom & her sister, my 16 yr old dghtr, & I went to CA for my son's MCRD graduation: we arrived @ Hotel about 9:20pm. Office was locked; sign on counter 'Be back soon' We stood in parking lot of strange town in dark 40+ minutes as there was no place to sit except a smoky stairwell before we were let in. The clerk 1st "pre-authorized" my debit card; then gave room number & key. Room was to have been non-smoking; it wasn't. The power went off/on 2 times: Clerk said breaker was ok. The tub wouldn't drain. I asked for a plunger/was told I could go get it. The clerk didn't offer to help, but did clean tub after I unclogged it.] 3rd day: Graduation day & our last day, I checked my acct bal: learned Hotel charged me $749.21 for 2 rooms: $369.21 TOO MUCH & caused $367 OD charges! This was Friday 10/5; Monday was a bank holiday, so this single mom &16 yr old were left with NO $$$ til 10/12th payday. My bank said "IF" the hotel would send them a letter stating they charged my account $369.21 in error and to release funds back to my account, they'd reverse the charges. The letter was not written per bank instructions, so $369.21 was reversed. My bank worked with me & reversed 3OD charges. After going back to TX, the GM offered $40 as Final settlement; not done til 10/10. The bank district mgr reversed 4 more OD charges. I contacted Howard Johnson's Customer Care Dept online/by phone for help the following weekend. Their rep said to contact hotel. In a 3rd e-mail it was written the office would settle for 50%, as the hotel did <no one mentioned that to me>, but since I wasn't satisfied I'd have to deal with the Hotel. I called again: the GM told me they'd done all they'd do. *I feel Howard Johnson should compensate me for the remaining $92 of $132 charges they caused*. I'm most disappointed w/HOWARD JOHNSON HOTEL, booked by a travel agency who won't recommend them again. They don't care about what they did... I don't recommend this place to anyone. but IF you stay watch your accounts

Stayed October 2007
Lancaster, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2006

I had never stayed in a Howard Johnson before, let alone a Howard Johnson Express. I got the chance last week when I was sent down for training. Training was to be held in the Doubletree thats just a few doors down (walking distance easy). My first reaction upon finding the "hotel" was, "Are you serious?" As I entered the "lobby", I was greeted by a life-size statue of Hulk Hogan... very classy I thought to myself. Checked in fine and as I make my way up the elevator and around the catwalk that wraps around the building 4 stories up, (sorry, scared of heights) I began to hope that my room would make up for what the "hotel" lacked in curb appeal. My hopes were crushed as I opened the door and the smell of smoke filled my nose and my eyes adjusted to the dark cave-like room. The room was small, very small, the bed was only a full (maybe a booking issue with personnel) and the lock on the door had to be jimmied in order to actually lock. What do you expect for $59 per night? Although, in all fairness to the "hotel", They did have a small fridge and a microwave in the room. The shower had also recently been re-tiled which was actually kinda nice. Would I ever stay there again? Definately not!

• Liked — Refridgerator in room
  • Disliked — Everything...
  • Tips/Secrets — You get what you pay for...
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Hotel Circle? Share your experiences!