“Everything was going well until...........” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Travelodge San Diego Mission Valley

Save Saved
You added Travelodge San Diego Mission Valley to your Saves list
Travelodge San Diego Mission Valley
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1201 Hotel Circle South, San Diego, CA 92108 (Mission Valley / Hotel Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn 2000 Bonus Points
Ranked #190 of 269 hotels in San Diego
Queensland, Australia
“Everything was going well until...........”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2007

Everything was going well until I got hit for extra fees on checkout. My Expedia prepaid voucher included an extra child accom. charge but I was told that did not include a rollaway bed. The rollaway was another $10 plus tax per day. I was also charged for use of the room safe which was not used, however this charge was later removed. The desk staff whilst polite were very inflexible and not exactly very friendly.The room was .small and very worn however it was clean which was the main thing. The onsite breakfast restaurant was excellent but the other evening restaurant was not as good and reasonably pricey. The other thing that annoyed me about this place was that I was told I could have had my accommodation MUCH cheaper if I had booked directly with them. I have nothing but the highest regard for Expedia and for this establishment to infer I could have saved money going direct is beyond belief.

Stayed January 2007

379 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2007

Not bad! I usually don't like hotels with exterior corridors. I was pleasantly surprised. The room was big, comfortable, and reasonably quiet. Very clean. Not enough towels, but a quick phone call and towels arrived. Be sure to tip! It makes a difference!
I had a terrible flight to San Diego, and the staff let me use their fax machine, took care of my late-arriving luggage, and generally made sure I had a good hotel experience. They were really wonderful.
Location is easy to get to. Plenty of parking. Directions to area attractions available at the front desk.

• Stayed November 2006
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2006

Room kept clean, bedding spotless. Breakfasts at on-site restaurant excellent, as was the service. The dinner restaurant was spoiled for me by the piano and singing from the bar area, but this was obviously very popular with locals judging by the numbers using it. Very convenient location for freeway access to Seaworld, the Zoo and the Wild Animal Park. Historic Old Town is also very close and there is easy access to the Trolley system for cheap travel to/from Downtown, although parking at the Old Town station was tricky to find, being very well used. A Travelodge is just a Travelodge after all, so don't expect to get five-star hotel treatment. Another reviewer comments on the room safe charge: I was asked to sign a clause on the registration form saying that there would be a daily charge at the end of my stay if I used the safe. I was asked if I had, (truthfully) said no, and was not asked to pay anything. Great for somewhere to base yourself for travelling in the area.

• Liked — On site breakfast restaurant
  • Disliked — Poor TV channel selection by other US standards
  • Tips/Secrets — Check out price for combined Seaworld/Zoo/Animal Park tickets on Expedia
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2006

We were so lucky to be able to find a hotel, we had left it to the last minute and every hotel we went to was full, so when this was the only one available I was worried but it turned out to be great. The restaurant was really nice and the rooms were clean and comfortable.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
essex,england
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2006

We checked into this hotel at roughly 12pm and checked out again at 1pm! Having read quite good reviews about the hotel and having stayed nearby before we decided to give this place a try. The first room we were given was a room for disabled guests which included low light switches, no bath only a shower with a seat and rails all round. That wasn't really a problem but the room had an awful smell and wasn't particually clean. We went back to the front desk and asked to be moved, which we were to next door. (don't know why they gave us a disabled room in the first place!). The next room wasn't any better. Again it had a terrible smell, long black hairs in the bath and the window in the room could be easily pushed out. Not a problem if we weren't on the ground floor with an alleyway behind us. We then went back to the front desk and said we wanted to leave. They offered us an upgrade at no extra charge to a $120 room. A little better although would be very annoyed if had booked the room at that price. Any way in the end decided just to leave which the staff seemed ok with and booked in to the Days Inn just up the road which was great.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — smell of the rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — avoid
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2006

Hotel is very dated, and the room decor and fixtures show it. However, the room is very spacious and the staff are friendly and helpful. Best part of this hotel is its location, close to everything in the heart of Mission Valley. For the price, it's a good value - just don't spend any time in it other than to sleep and it will be fine.

• Liked — location, room size
  • Disliked — dated furniture, 1st floor rooms open directly to parking lot in typical "cheap motel" layout.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Manchester, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2006

I'm a little late in reviewing this place, but thought that I needed to defend it after reading so many terrible reviews. I should note that I am not the pickiest of people when it comes to motel/hotel rooms. As long as it is clean and safe, I'm basically happy.

I stayed at this motel in a king bed room for 5 nights. The room seemed clean enough and I thought the bed was comfortable. Our room wasn't right next to the freeway, so the noise didn't bother me (I should mention that I am super sensitive to noise, so the fact that I didn't hear anything at all is impressive). The decor was basic motel decor--nothing I would decorate my house with, but not overly depressing or dated. The window in the bathroom was a little strange, but it never became a problem. I found the front desk staff to be very friendly and accomodating. We were able to buy Sea World tickets at the front desk, which saved us a long wait in line.

This motel is also centrally located. We walked to the Fashion Valley mall for food and to catch the train to Old Town (which is definitely worth a look--very cute and great food choices!). It was about a mile, we just cut through the Town and Country Resort (where our conference was held). The only real negative to this motel was the pool. It wasn't heated and the hot tub was only luke warm. Pool seemed clean enough though.

The best part of this motel is the breakfast restaurant, Adam's Steak and Eggs! Incredibly cheap--I never paid over $8 and on average only spent about $6. Fresh cream for coffee, everything tasted homemade, and the corn pancakes were the best I've ever had. I'm actually very picky about food (unlike motel rooms) and really, this was great food. The Pam-Pam restaurant up the street (connected to some other hotel, but I can't remember which) is also pretty decent for late night, standard "American" cuisine.

All in all, the rooms are fine. They were cheap and suited our needs perfectly. Remember, this is a Travelodge, not a Hilton. Regardless of whether you stay at the motel or not, I would recommend Adam's for breakfast!

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business

Been to Travelodge San Diego Mission Valley? Share your experiences!