“Cheap” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Travelodge San Diego Mission Valley

Save Saved
You added Travelodge San Diego Mission Valley to your Saves list
Travelodge San Diego Mission Valley
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1201 Hotel Circle South, San Diego, CA 92108 (Mission Valley / Hotel Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #187 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Winnipeg, Canada
“Cheap”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

The price was very cheap so we did not have high expectations, so if anyone is looking for an amazing hotel, I would not advise it. If you are just looking for a place to sleep at night, this would be a good hotel. The shower barely got hot water which was probably the biggest negative there was. The pool and hot tub were good but the rooms were kind of grungy, but it was worth it to us as it was very cheap. If you aren't picky, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
inland empire,ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Came on Business, read so so reviews but, I gave it a chance. Parking is a Challenge. Room was on bottom floor facing the lot and the 8 highway, not very soundproof. The connecting door to the neighbors who were loud, not very pleasant.
Stained carpets.. Outdated bathroom and although it was spacious. for the $80 on a friday night that I paid (with discounts) I feel like I should invested another $40 for a more decent room like @ Hamton or Sheraton or Holiday Inn but, I was on a budget so... this is what I get.
No frills place.
The highlight is the restaurant in the front office area does have very deliscious Breakfast smoothies!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
TravelodgeSDManager, General Manager at Travelodge San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Dear IEBEV,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Although I do not agree with your statement of Motel 6 being considered an upgrade I do appreciate the feedback. We are consistently ranked on average 70 spots higher then Motel 6 on TripAdvisor. We know you have a choice in hotels and we appreciate you chose ours. I know how frustrating it can be to have noisy neighbors and I apologize for that. Thank you for mentioning our spacious rooms and wonderful restaurant. Please feel free to contact me directly on your next visit and I will personally make sure you get a quiet room.

tlsdmissionvalley@whg.com
Barnsley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

We booked this a couple of nights in advance whilst in California via hotelclub.net ( we were visiting from the UK in late Jan 2012). Got a rate of £92.13 for a 3 night stay.

Officially this hotel is rated as a 2 star, but in the UK it would easily be a 3 star property.

Room allocated was quite close to the 'hotel circle' freeway - but it didnt bother us at night as the windows were well insulated. Carpet wasnt the cleanest, but bathroom was, and a fridge was included without charge.

Free wifi, free parking, and use of an excellent outdoor pool and hot tub are bonuses here providing more 'bang for your buck' as they say in the US.

The hotel is in an excellent location - the university area is less than a mile away which has some brilliant eating options ( dont forget to try 'Five Guys Burgers and Fries"!), and is also only around 1.5 miles away from a huge mall ( Fashion Valley mall) and the superb old town. Its also located a short drive away from all San Diego attractions like the Zoo and the Quayside - a car, like when visiting most places in the US, is a must for your trip.

You could easily spend a week in San Diego doing different things throughout and not getting bored. We loved it!! , and think this place is a decent accommodation choice for those looking to get value for money

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Dear omareliwi,

Wonderful comments. Honest, truthful, straight to the point. We appreciate that! Thanks a lot and come back soon.

San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

I stayed here just to take a break from a demanding home life. I asked for one of the updated rooms and asked for a "suite". It seemed like a normal room to me, it just had a frig and microwave as extras. What I noticed right away was that the bedspread was wrinkled but in fairness, this is probably due to the very thin fabric. I'm not sure if the room had been upgraded since everything seemed very old. The windows in the bathroom and back window would not shut all the way. I went there to relax and it was anything but relaxing. They had trashcans rolling constantly up and down the upstairs corridor, until 4:00 PM. They put a girl in the room next to me who was screaming at the top of her lungs for several hours on the phone and constantly going out the door to smoke and slammed the door every time. I had a "Do Not Disturb" sign on my door and some tall guy comes to my door and pounds on it. About a half an hour later, I saw him being hauled away by police. I went to the office to complain about the noise and the stranger at the door and they just said "well the guy won't be a problem anymore" (since he was being hauled off in a police car). They didn't seem to know what to do and eventually offered another room. I went to look at it and this non-smoking room smelled like someone had just smoked 5 packs of cigarettes. I went back and told them I couldn't stay in that room and they didn't offer any other solution. They never talked to the girl next door. Also, there is no elevator at this place and no help with bags. Now, I know that I couldn't expect the Taj Mahal but I was expecting more than this. I would go with the Wyndham Gardens near Sports Arena if you are a Worldmark owner or Wyndham rewards person. First and last time here.

Pros:
Location
The refrigerator was a decent size
Free wireless

Cons:
No elevator
Loud
Very old
Staff not very professional
Bed was as hard as a rock

Room Tip: I stayed on the second floor and it was near the hotel storage place. That meant constant rolling o...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1animalfan:

I am really sorry that we were not able to live up to your expectations and give you that relaxing get away that you deserved. I would have been just as upset as you if I had encountered an unruly and disrespectful guest in the room beside me. Your safety is our number one priority and we do not tolerate out of control guests. I can assure you that this is not a normal occurrence and if there is anything that I can do to win back your business I would do it.

I apologize again.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

Rooms pretty basic (1960's hotel) but functional and great value for the price ( US $70 odd per night in April 2012). Beds were comfy - we stayed in #211.The pool area was very nice and there was a spa that was nice and large. Plenty of eating options either at the hotel or nearby - Old Town a 20 minute walk away and worth a visit with a number of free museums etc but watch the traffic on the way as you must walk on the road edge for 100 metres or so. Fashion valley shops also a short walk (footpath all the way). Sea World a circa $15-$20 taxi ride as is SD airport. Staff extremely friendly and very helpful at this place. eg they happily made a couple of calls for us to arrange our shuttle to LAX.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the back will be a bit quieter.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for acknowledging our fabulous staff. We really appreciate it!
Janesville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

Not that that is saying it was the Ritz, but I was concerned about what we might have gotten ourselves into. Room was clean, a bit outdated....actually quite outdated, but CLEAN, beds not all that comfortable, but CLEAN. Desk staff very friendly and the breakfast restaurant very accommodating.

You can't expect upper end and still have a nice time. Clean, friendly and reasonably priced accommodations.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
TravelodgeSDManager, General Manager at Travelodge San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, March 8, 2012
scuber,

Thank you for taking the time to write a response on our Tripadvisor! We are glad that you were able to have an enjoyable time while you were in San Diego. As you said our rooms might not be that of Ritz Carlton, but we do pride ourselves in having clean rooms and we appreciate that you recognize that. We hope to you see you again and appreciate your business.

Philomath, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

My husband, I & our twin daughters (14 yrs) flew into San Diego on a late flight a few days before my convention started. We chose to stay in the Travelodge for two nights as it looked nice on the internet, was close to Seaworld & seemed easy to locate. We did not arrive until midnight on a Thursday...desk clerk was none to friendly. The room we were given was in the building closest to the road---was terribly noisy & rooms looked nothing like the photos on the internet. The carpet was torn, tub didn't drain well so you stood in water as you showered & the light above the vanity too about 30 minutes to come on. Since we were only there for two nights, it was okay for the price (internet was free, while the hotel we stayed at for my convention charged for internet--go figure!). I would just recommend that you ask for a room in one of the other sections...they must be the ones that are shown on their website.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the section of the hotel behind the restaurants so that you don't have so much...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
SixInTheFamily,

You are right that we have several different room types and I apologize that you did not get what you expected. We do our best to accurately depict on our websites what you are getting. We always recommend booking directly through us at Travelodge.com where you can pick your room type.

I am truly sorry that you experienced several other problems while you were here. I am addressing these with my staff.

Jason Girard

Been to Travelodge San Diego Mission Valley? Share your experiences!