“Sometimes bad is good.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham San Diego Bayside

Save Saved
You added Wyndham San Diego Bayside to your Saves list
Wyndham San Diego Bayside
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1355 North Harbor Drive, San Diego, CA 92101 (Formerly Holiday Inn) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #151 of 270 hotels in San Diego
Rockville, Maryland
“Sometimes bad is good.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Like some of the other reviewers, I reserved my room through a consolidator -- asking for a single for two weeks from Christmas into January -- knowing I needed to be near the airport. I was surprised when I pulled up to the hotel because the last time I stayed here, it was a Holiday Inn. This time I was booked into the midrise on Harbor Boulevard, but my room faced the plaza between the hotel and the parking structure. My room appeared to have been pieced together from some storage space and was *huge* with an attached dressing room leading to a separate bathroom. I had two queen beds and since I was solo, I chose to sleep in the one closest to my two banks of windows. Facing southeast, I had a chance to keep track of night life running back and forth between the restaurant (in the next building south) and the bar (in my building). Excellent if you like to people watch. Unlike what some other reviewers complained about, the lobby and front-of-building staffers helped me pack and unpack my rental car, helped me retrieve a bellman's cart, and assisted me when I tried to take it though the revolving door in front (yes, that was a stupid move). Btw, I made two trips to Boston during my stay and got to know all the shuttle drivers as well. Everyone treated me with respect, and I returned the favor as best I could. If I had something to whine about, it would be about the Wifi. It was weak back when this hotel was a Holiday Inn, and it's weak now. But given the size of the property, a network engineer is needed to solve the problem.

Room Tip: Avoid the second floor in Building #1 which gets a lot of lobby noise.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Wyndham SD B, Manager at Wyndham San Diego Bayside, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments. We are gad you enjoyed your stay and we really appreciate the detailed comments about our hotel and what areas we can improve to make it better. We appreciate your patronage and look forward to you visiting us again!

1,139 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Polish first
Tucson, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

We went to San Diego on a family trip, and had requested 2 rooms near each other, we were very happy to be next door to one another and had a great time hanging out with our niece and nephew on the balconies. At night the city views from the 10th floor were amazing, especially the night of the full moon. The location is great for the USS Midway, trolley tours and Seaport Village.
The glass elevator was one we had to wait for each day with the kids. The beds were super comfy and we loved the black out curtains. Nice sleep! The pricey parking fees keep this from being a 5 star. Everyone we had contact with was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Next time we will request and pay more for a bay view, but the city views at night were amazing
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Wyndham SD B, Manager at Wyndham San Diego Bayside, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
We are very excited to know you and your family had a wonderful time while staying here at Wyndham San Diego Bayside! It is our goal and pleasure to serve you and to ensure your stay is pleasant and memorable. Further we appreciate the wonderful feedback you shared. Thank you for your patronage and we look forward to your return.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

I would definitely recommend the sea facing rooms in this hotel.. even if it costs a little more. The view is amazing and the room is also quite good. The sea port village is walkable distance and the restaurant in the hotel serves british pub food :)

Room Tip: Pick the sea facing room.. definitely worth it :)
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the wonderful comments and feedback regarding your stay. It is our goal to provide great service with a quality room, and we are glad we met your expectations from location of the hotel to the food served in our restaurant. We look forward to seeing you again so that you may experience another great stay here at Wyndham San Diego Bayside.

Been to Wyndham San Diego Bayside? Share your experiences!