We stayed at the Holiday Inn on the Bay for week surrounding New Year's as we got a good rate on hotwire.com. The hotel offers free shuttle service to/from the airport as well as other popular locations in the city (Seaport Village, Gaslamp Quarter, Balboa Park/Zoo), which was really handy. If you love to walk (like we do), the location of the hotel is great as it is right across the street from the bay (where you can stroll along the seawall, board your cruise ship or take the ferry to Coronado) and walking distance to both Little Italy and the Gaslamp Quarter. When we checked in, I asked for a bayview room but after being told it would cost an additional $40/night, declined. As it turned out, we were given a room at the end of the hallway so we could see both the city and the bay from our balcony.
The room we had was updated, and the beds were very comfortable. Absolutely loved the balcony and even had a bird's eye view of the Holiday Bowl parade one morning. My only complaints about the room was the absence of a fridge (although I understand you could get one in your room for additional $$$) and the opaque glass door or the bathroom. Although it allows some natural light in the bathroom, if you happen to get up in the night to use it, your roommate may be awoken by the light shining through the door.
The common areas of the hotel are pretty average although we loved the glass elevator. The hotel has a heated pool, but I would have really loved to see a hot tub, especially on the cool evenings.
There is an Elephant & Castle Restaurant/Pub adjacent to the hotel lobby, and I would highly recommend eating there. Prices were reasonable, food was delicious, and the staff were very friendly. Had some good times there.
Overall, we had a great stay and would go back.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn San Diego - On The Bay Hotel
- Holiday Inn San Diego - On The Bay Hotel San Diego
- Holiday Inn Bay San Diego
- Holiday Inn San Diego
- San Diego Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn San Diego Bay
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With a premiere location close to the San Diego cruise ship terminal, Convention Center, and Gaslamp Quarter, the Wyndham San Diego Bayside is unsurpassed among downtown waterfront hotels. Leisure travelers will enjoy nearby attractions such as the San Diego Zoo, SeaWorld, Balboa Park, Harbor Tours, and Maritime Museums including the USS Midway and Star of India. A stay at the Wyndham San Diego Bayside immerses guests in a true full-service experience, and relaxing views of the San Diego harbor front or city center skyline. A free airport and area shuttle makes traveling to and from the hotel and nearby attractions easy, while free high speed internet makes business travel a pleasure. Fantastic features such as an outdoor heated pool and a poolside gym provide opportunities for recreation once guests return from a fun-filled day exploring the area. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are easy as well, with several exceptional on-site restaurants such as Elephant and Castle as well as Ruth Chris Steakhouse providing a wide variety of options for any taste. The 600 guest rooms and suites at the Wyndham San Diego Bayside provide a peaceful escape from the vibrant city buzz. Bright decor, comfortable beds, floor-to-ceiling windows and furnished balcony rooms help guests make the most of the stunning location. Suites located near the top of the 14-story tower of the hotel offer breathtaking views along with a private bedroom, living area, pull-out sofa and mini-refrigerator. All rooms include guest-preferred amenities such as free high speed internet access, a free morning newspaper, a coffee maker, hairdryer and a large work desk. With 24,000 square feet of meeting space and conference facilities the Wyndham San Diego Bayside is the ideal location for San Diego meetings and events. Full-service planning assistance and professional amenities along with and creative catering help create the perfect meeting on the bay. Grand galas or casual affairs are also a specialty for the professionals at the Wyndham San Diego Bayside, with 12 wedding reception halls and various wedding packages to choose from. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, HotelTravel.com, EasyToBook, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Venere and Fareportal so you can book your Wyndham San Diego Bayside reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.