“No fridges or microwaves in the rooms???” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #153 of 268 hotels in San Diego
“No fridges or microwaves in the rooms???”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

20 dollars extra per night just to have a microwave and fridge in your room. Is this a new thing??? Everything else about this hotel was mediocre. The lobby area is nice. If you have kids, stay elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2013
ldimeglio, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

I want to let you know that I totally understand your frustration regarding the refrigerators and microwaves. Per the Franchise Standards, in room microwaves and refrigerators must be enclosed in a cabinet which matches the furniture. Unfortunately, when the rooms were refurbished a few years ago, this was not completed at the time. But, I have already put in a request for this to be done during the next renovation where we expect to change all of our guestroom furnishings to include microwaves and refrigerators in each room. In the meantime, we have a limited supply of them available for our guests which we deliver to the guestrooms individually. I can assure you, your comments are taken seriously and appreciate your feedback.

Thank you so much!

162 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel during a relocation visit to San Diego. Because I am a Priority Club member I received a complimentary room upgrade along with complimentary breakfast tickets. I was really pleased to learn that there was no fee for parking or wi-fi. The staff was super friendly and very accommodating. The rooms are well appointed and modern, and overall the hotel was clean well maintained. Mission Valley is a pretty central area in San Diego and right off the interstate. I highly recommend this property.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
ldimeglio, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay!!! It is wonderful to hear that our Team and hotel accommodations met all of your needs.

Please come back and visit us soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

This hotel is reasonable as far as value and location. The things that we did like: the room and common areas were clean and well maintained. The hotel felt up-to-date throughout. It's close to the freeway so it's easy to get to nearby attractions, and it's also close to two different strip malls with a variety of restaurants plus a grocery store and a department store.
The things we did not like: The pool was not very clean; we had to scoop out dead bees three nights in a row. Also, the staff seemed put out that we were hanging out in the lobby area without purchasing anything from the bar (we do this a lot because we put the kids to bed several hours before we are ready to call it a night). The hotel was kid-friendly enough, though, and I did not feel like they were out of place or causing trouble for other guests. The internet was free with a code we got at check-in, but it timed out quickly; if we were idle for more than five minutes, or sometimes just randomly, we had to go through the whole log-in process again.
One other thing that was a bit irksome, but not terrible, was the parking spaces. We have a mini-van and it barely fit within the tiny spaces. It made loading and unloading tricky. Usually we pulled into the passenger drop off, had one parent get the kids out, then go park in the itty bitty space.
Overall, a good place to stay! We wouldn't mind staying here again if our travels bring us back to this area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
ldimeglio, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review on TripAdvisor; your feedback is very important to me. It is so wonderful to hear that you had an overall good experience at the hotel!! Please come back to visit in the future while visiting San Diego.

Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed here for a couple days this past weekend and greatly enjoyed my stay. The front desk was extremely helpful, the rooms were clean, and it felt SAFE which was very important to me. I mainly enjoyed the location as it is very central to everything including the Studio Diner which is near by. The only thing I wish I had was a fridge in the room to keep my water cold and that they would have offered complimentary breakfast but no big deal. The elevator was broken when we got there but we were promptly informed and accommodated with a 1st floor room. Overall I loved it and will return!

Room Tip: Park near stairs for easier access :)
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ldimeglio, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review! I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you felt safe, something we take very seriously. Come and visit us again!!!!!!!

YVR
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

In our previous stay, we had a nicely furnished, nicely finished room. This time, the sliding door didn't shut, didn't lock, there was alot of road noise from outside that came through the open door. The internet was down most of the time, the front counter staff had no idea what to do, ended up using the wifi from Fedex. No breakfast and just snotty service. And the parking lot? what a narrow driveway, and no where to turn around.

Room Tip: If you absolutely don't need to stay here, stay at the Holiday Inn Express Mira Mesa - way bette...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
ldimeglio, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am so sorry that you did not have a good experience during your last stay at our hotel. Your comments are very important to me and I have forwarded them to the Department Managers. Know that we take these things very seriously and will see to it that the issues are resolved.

Please call me directly at 858.503.2540 if you would like to discuss further. In the meantime, I hope that you will reconsider staying at our hotel in the future and give us the opportunity to "Wow" you as we always strive to do.

Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

My room 309 was clean, spacious and comfortable, the decor was adequate and the wi-fi worked reliably. My room was not facing the freeway, so there was no noise. I especially appreciated the location next to a small shopping area and an Arco station that sells the cheapest gas in the region. It must be quite convenient for overnight business travelers not to have to go out of their way to fill up the tank. The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. I bought breakfast there, and I enjoyed the make-your-own omelet at the egg station. I was not too impressed with my neighbors in the next room who appeared to be stoners. The price was competitive. In all, I had a very good one night stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
ldimeglio, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for all of the wonderful comments! I am so pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay!!! Please visit us again when if you are in San Diego again.

Long Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stopped in this hotel for a night due to driving back from Arizona and getting tired. I really liked the lobby it has a nice lounge area and bar. Got a great deal on Priceline for $68. The room was very clean and the FREE wifi was high speed. I would totally stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ldimeglio, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review and I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Hopefully you will make this your home away from home the next time you are visiting San Diego!!

Linda DiMeglio

Been to Holiday Inn San Diego - Mission Valley? Share your experiences!