“Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #130 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Pico Rivera, California
“Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

The hotel was clean and quiet. Check in wasn't as fast as I would have liked but the staff was friendly and helpful. My room was very clean and didn't have a stale or old odor as some rooms do. The bed was comfortable and I had free wi-fi with a code provided at the desk.

The bathroom was small and the sink area was cluttered with a cofee maker, an ice bucket, cups and glasses. It did not make for a nice big space to get ready for an outing.

I did not like that I was charged a $10.00 fee for services (I guess that wi-fi wasn't free). The charge was not mentioned when I booked the room or when I checked in. The charge was added to my room account at checkout....sneaky, sneaky, sneaky.

The hotel is close to many attractions and restaurants so I did not have to travel far to see the sights of San Diego. All in all a good hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
ldimeglio, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Rosalie,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on our hotel and more importantly, for being our guest. I was very concerned regarding your comment about an erroneous $10 fee placed on your account as WiFi is free, so I immediately pulled up your account to review. On it, I see that the room charge and applicalbe local and state taxes were the only things posted and was unable to see any additional charges. With that, please feel free to contact me directly at 858.503.2540 to further discuss as I want to be sure to resolve any issues.

Thank you again for staying with us and I look forward to speaking with you soon!

Linda DiMeglio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed for 2 nights at the Holiday Inn in Mission Valley. I must say that the staff here is exceptional! They were all very friendly and ready to assist with any questions or needs that I had. I had not been in San Diego for 20 years, so I was unsure of how to find my way around, what beaches were in the area, good eateries, etc. The staff gave me their opinions and assisted me with directions in the area. My room was very neat, clean and smelled great!! I even treated myself to the hot tub in the evenings. Thank you very much to all of the staff. I look forward to seeing you at some point in the future.

Room Tip: I loved my room across from the fitness center and right near the door to the outside pool and hot t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
ldimeglio, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are all so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and more importantly, came back to visit our beautiful city!! All of us look forward to having you as our guest the next time you are in San Diego.

Las Cruces, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Spent one night in this hotel with our family after getting a good deal on Priceline. The room was a good size and fit a family of five well (2 adults, 2 children, and a baby). The room was clean and the beds were very comfortable.

Parking is a bit difficult and fills up fast because of the many meetings and conventions that the hotel holds. Other than this small complaint, we had a great night stop-over.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
ldimeglio, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

It is wonderful to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay. Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review; it is so appreciated.

Anaheim, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed here twice recently, and I got discount rates through websites.
Room was clean.
As others mentioned It's right next to a small strip mall, and right around the corner are more restaurants, a Von's Supermarket, & Fry's Electronics. Also close by are Qualcomm Stadium & Sea World.

Here are some Cons, which might not bother some people:
- I showed them that I'm a Priority Club member. Someone on Tripadvisor mentioned that I could have a mini-refrigerator in room for free, but the hotel did not mention that. I could have used that. I'll ask next time I stay there.
- Internet has frequent log in issues, and bandwidth was frequently bad. They use one of those companies (IBahn) to log you in each time. Many times it just froze and I waited & waited, then I tried to log in again to no avail. Once in a blue moon it would work normally for 5 minutes. Usually the front desk has little control over this: they tell you to call tech support. You call and wait, the tech does a test and says they'll send a repair man to the hotel in a few days which doesn't help me.
-No free breakfast.
- TV is all Digital. It takes forever to change each channel, but that happens on all digital systems I've used.
- Coffee machine was old. I would expect a modern, single serve, fancy coffee machine from a Hotel like this.
-One room I stayed in had windows at street level with no screens. I should have complained but I kept forgetting to mention it.

The Cons make it a 4 star rating for me, but the proximity to tourist attractions might trump everything else for your trip.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I apologize you had issues with your internet during your stay and take your comments very seriously. Recently, I contacted IBahn regarding this issue and they are currently putting together an action plan on how to resolve. All of us at the hotel value our guest's requests/concerns and work diligently to
overcome obstacles so that your stay is more comfortable.

We look forward to having you again!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed here for over 8 weeks throughout July, August, and the beginning of September. The hotel's greatest quality is their staff. Everyone from the General Manager down is truly friendly and cares about their guests. Over the course of staying for so long, it was nice to have friendly individuals such as the girls at the front desk, Gaby the driver, Doc at the bar/restaurant, etc to all offer conversation and a caring attitude.

The rooms were clean and comfortable to stay in. In terms of location, you are going to have to drive to most destinations in San Diego, but if you stay at the beach or in the Gaslamp Quarter, you're also going to pay significantly more. The beaches and Gaslamp Quarter are easily accessible by car, as most of the major freeways intersect right near the hotel (I-15, I-8, I-805, etc).

The gym has the basics for cardio and freeweights, and there is a swimming pool as well. For outdoor exercise, I'd recommend Mission Trails Regional Park. It's about a 10 minute drive and offers plenty of trails, rock climbing, running, etc.

There is a shopping center next to the hotel which offers a variety of any kind of food you'd want: Jack in the Box, Sizzler, Thai food, tacos, pizza, etc. The restaurant also has a decent selection of food. For other shopping needs, there is a Walmart and Fry's right down the road.

Next time I go to San Diego, this will certainly be in the top running for where I will stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
ldimeglio, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Jim,

It was OUR PLEASURE having you as our guest!!! You were a joy to work with and all of us miss you and are hoping that you come back to visit us again. Thank you so much for your kind words; I have shared them with the Team.

Cluj-Napoca, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I was to Holiday Inn hotel in September 2012 for one full week and was ok. I expect more from the chain Holiday Inn, comparing with Europe or was another classification. In general the staying was ok, the room war big, cleaned but with old furniture. A disadvantage was that they don’t have a breakfast only in restaurant regime, that is not very convenient. Now the biggest despoilment was the services at the reception were we have some requests and they did not pay much attention. We ask them to give us some rent a car prices and thay print us some company to call them or we ask them to give us a call in the morning, for wake up, not hapen, or we ask them for a taxi with the possibility to pay with the credit card also that was not possible. In general if you want an ok and quiet hotel, with not match expectation from the services, you can choose this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
ldimeglio, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am so sorry to hear that you were not 100% satisfied as our guest. I have forwarded your comments to my Team to review as we take it very seriously when a guest expresses concerns regarding a bad experience and see to it that it does not happen again. We all hope you will give us another opportunity as our guest. Please do not hesitate to call me directly at 858.503.2540 if you would like to discuss this matter further.

Parlier, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed here last weekend and we loved this hotel! The staff was so friendly and helpful. And the beds were so comfy and I loved the extra pillows. The room was so clean and theres a Jack in the box next door and a papa johns and mcdonalds are right down the street.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us! It's great to know you had an enjoyable stay and hope to be able to accommodate you in the future.

Linda DiMeglio

Been to Holiday Inn San Diego - Mission Valley? Share your experiences!