“Post remodel, great place” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #143 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Schererville, Indiana
“Post remodel, great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

My husband and I have stayed at this Holiday Inn a few times now. I originally reviewed it back in 2008 before it had been totally remodeled.
We stayed most recently in November (2010) and really enjoyed our stay.
The rooms have been nicely remodeled, as had the lobby, hallways, and elevator bay off of the parking garage.
The staff is super friendly and helpful. We checked in after flying in fairly late and the woman at the front desk never acted like we were bothering her (like I've experienced with many of our late check-ins).
The photos on this site are of the older rooms, so I'll add some new photos. I did appreciate having a refrigerator, which in the past we did not have in our room. The remodeled bathroom-area is nice. While I'm still not fond of the sink outside of the toilet/tub area it's just the way this hotel is set-up. Our room had one king bed, a sleeper sofa, coffee table, desk, tv, frig, & microwave.
I suggested this hotel to co-workers who visited the area last month. I will definitely stay at this hotel again. The rooms are nice, beds are comfy, staff is great, covered parking can be found if you're early (or the hotel isn’t busy, or people are too lazy to drive inside?), and the location is convenient to the freeways & local attractions.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
ldimeglio, Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, August 9, 2011
Dear Guest,

I so appreciate your kind words about the hotel as well as the updated photos!!! We are so happy to hear that you liked the renovation and the services provided. No matter what time of day or night you check in, know that it is never a bother to the team here; it is our pleasure to assist you.

Thank you and I hope to have you here as our guests again in the future!

Linda DiMeglio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

We actually didn't spend the entire night here but had a very good experience. After checking in they left a message on my cell phone saying they had an urgent situation and needed our room. Upon returning the call I was informed that they needed a large block of rooms for s sports team and asked if we would be willing to give up our room in exchange for free lodging at a different area hotel. Linda and Julie were very helpful in getting us to the other hotel and took care of crediting our account and setting up payment at the other hotel. It turned out to be a great deal for our family and the other hotel they put us up in was very nice. In the limited time we were in the hotel and room we were left with a very good impression. It was very clean and modern. If ever in the San Diego area again I would definitely stay here.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dear Feld Family,

I cannot express my gratitude for your patience and understanding in what was a very difficult sitiation. You all were so gracious and kind during the whole hotel move. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!

We all look forward to having you again in the future!!

Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed 2 nights and the room was very nice. We were upgraded to a suite due to our status. There was not a safe in the room which my wife was used to having in a room. However, they do store some things at the service desk which was nice. The bed was fairly comfortable and the restaurant was pretty good for dinner. We were able to get the PointsBreak deal which was awesome for this hotel in San Diego. Its close to the Zoo.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
ldimeglio, Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, August 1, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review! I am happy to hear that you had a good experience with us and we hope to have you again as our guest in the future!

Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

This hotel is not really in Mission Valley but nearby and you basically enter through a strip mall but beyond that it was great. Looks like it was recently renovated. My room was very comfortable and spacious. Hotel was quite full during the visit but service was excellent with good food and a nice lounge. I'll return.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

To answer your question, the hotel went through a major renovation ending last year. I am so happy that you enjoyed your visit with us. Please come back soon!

Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

I have stayed at many hotels but none that had the quality of food this place did. The El Rayo Grill was simply awesome. I loved every meal I had there. My room was clean and comfortable - nothing fancy. The service though was spectacular. The housekeeping staff did a great job and were very friendly. Front Desk was also very good at what they did in anticipating my needs. I like having the USA Today under my door and being able to watch on-demand movies from my room. The pool was also clean and refreshing. This hotel had a great location, only about 15 minutes from the airport and lots of shopping nearby. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

I am thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful stay and will be back in the future! Not sure if you tried the Banana Caramel Cheesecake Xangos dessert while eating in the restaurant, but it is a "MUST DO" next time you are here!

Thank you!

Tucson
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

I would give this hotel 2.5 stars. The room was clean, parking and internet were free. The front desk people were very nice. Beyond that I can't say anything positive. Being told to clear out of the way while house keeping was moving a load of laundry to the elevator was mildly humorous. My son and I stayed there for a baseball tournament. Room service dishes and pizza boxes lingered in the hall for over a day which was a little disgusting. The room was very hot when we checked in and it took until sun down for it to cool off. The AC had to be set on high and the lowest temp setting just to be comfortable. Other people noted the same in their rooms. For a basball tournament it was fine.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
ldimeglio, Owner at Holiday Inn San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, July 9, 2011
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank your family as well as the remaining members of the team that stayed at our hotel! I have forwarded your comments to my Executive Housekeeper and Food & Beverage Director to assure that we resolve the issues you mentioned in regards to the laundry attendant and hallway dish issue. Please know that we take these kind of things seriously and your concerns have been addressed.

We all hope you and the team come back next year!! Have a wonderful summer.

Linda DiMeglio, General Manager
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

The hotel seemed nice. Nice amenties, nice new clean looking room. At work the next morning I started noticing bites all over my arms and torso. Little clusters of red welts. Went to Kaiser as soon as I could and doctor said it looked like bed bug bites. Thank god not Scabies! I took every precaution when I got home not to infect my home. I threw all my clothes right in the dryer on high and threw the bag in the garbage (I had read that sometimes they can infect luggage and they can't survive over 120 degree heat). Called the manager of the hotel and he couldn't get me off the line fast enough. He was barely civil. Probably thought I was going to sue, but I just wanted to warn them so no on else would have to go through what I had....

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
ldimeglio, Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, July 8, 2011
Dear Guest,

I wanted to first thank you for speaking with me offline yesterday. As I mentioned, once I spoke to you to find out when you stayed and what room you stayed in, I personally went to the room with my Chief Engineer to inspect the room. We took all bedding off, thoroughly inspected the mattress, boxspring, removed the headboard off the wall found no signs of bed bugs. Unfortunately, issues with bed bugs do not resolve themselves. In order to eradicate a bed bug issue, it requires the disposal of mattress, boxspring, deep cleaning of all bedding & carpets, and multiple pest control treatments of which we would have to call our outside vendor to complete, none of which occurred in the room you stayed in. Due to high occupancies, the room you stayed in has been rented mulitiple times since your departure and we have not had any other similiar comments in this regard.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to speak with me.

Linda DiMeglio, General Manager

Been to Holiday Inn San Diego - Mission Valley? Share your experiences!