“Just Ok” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #169 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Dallas, Texas
“Just Ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

This hotel was just ok for the price paid ($149). The furnishings a bit dated. The elevators dont run well. The facility is a round shape that creates pie shaped rooms. Its a fairly decent walk to little Italy. Staff was just ok.

Room Tip: higher level rooms might offer a better view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
socialmediacoord, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. I am sorry to hear your expectations were not met and we were unable to provide you with an exceptional stay. I have reviewed your comments with the staff to ensure we continue to improve on our quality of service, as our goal is to exceed expectations with every stay. We hope to welcome you back during your next trip.

Luke Daehlin, Guest Relation Manager 619-239-9600

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Korean first
Sydney Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We had one night here on our way through to somewhere else. My husband is a member of Sheraton's loyalty program, "Starwood Preferred Guest" (which is free to join) and we were offered an upgrade to an executive room on the top floor (all for $105 per night). We had fantastic views of the harbour. The room was clean, quiet, modern, average size, with the most comfortable king sized bed. It came with complimentary water, coffee maker, huge flat screen TV. The shuttle picked us up from the airport in about 10 minutes after calling them. We had an early flight the next morning so had to take a taxi back to the airport but the cost of the taxi was only $12. My husband and I are walkers so we walked down to the harbour, looked at the cruise ships in port, walked along the embankment, up to the Gas Light Quarter where we had dinner and back to the hotel. Due to our early flight we left before breakfast was offered so can't comment on the food at the hotel. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to stay in downtown San Diego.

Room Tip: Join up to the loyalty program for free beforehand and then ask to be upgraded to the executive suit...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
We greatly appreciate the kind comments, recommendations and for you and your husband’s continued loyalty with Starwood Preferred Guest. Our clean and comfortable rooms provide great views of the harbor and we are within walking distance of many great downtown San Diego areas, and we are delighted to hear you were able to enjoy all of this during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

irvine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stayed here labor day weekend for a family vacation in downtown San Diego. Of all the hotels I researched in the area, for the locale and the hotel amenities we needed in a hotel I feel like it was the best for our budget.

Pros: Other hotels in the area were so much more expensive, like $200+/night whereas this place was $125/night the time we stayed. Important to note that they are their parking fee is less than other hotels in the area ($17 a day). Not extravagant, but very comfortable, overall pretty clean, and modern looking rooms. I slept well and the AC worked wonderfully in the summer time. Within walking distance to Little Italy and Extraordinary desserts which was a plus for us, because parking in downtown San Diego sucks or are pretty much nonexistent.

Cons: The building is like a cylinder so all the rooms are somewhat equidistant to the elevator, thus you get like a smaller sized room compared to other hotels. The parking here is really confusing. You'll get a parking card after you check in to park in the parking structure but the directions are not very clear and it's easy to get turned around and end up on the top floor of the parking structure where there are no elevators. Make sure when you enter the parking structure (which is the the gate next to the 10 min. handicap parking at the front lobby entrance) that you park underground because that's where the hotel elevators are.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stayed two nights on a business trip. This hotel is just a few minutes from the airport (about 2 miles), a few blocks from Little Italy (about the only place to eat you can walk to.) And it happened to offer a discount to my client located nearby.

So consider these points: Staff was friendly on check-in for my two nights. Then scheduled my early AM taxi request for the morning after the first night. And that leads to the shuttle schedule for the airport. It starts at 6 AM... so if you have a flight anytime before or soon after 7 AM you won't be using it. Strange schedule. If they advertise an airport shuttle it should start at 5 AM... or at least 5:30.

Room was clean overall... but how did they miss the metal bottle cap just under the desk? And the red stains on the carpet? Carpet needs a cleaning. A/C in the room worked well (a surprise as the hallways are quite warm.) Good shower pressure, thin towels... and the true sign of a low budget hotel: no shower soap bar or shampoo in a bottle, everything is in squeeze tubes on the shower wall.

The most unusual room item: no real bathroom door. A sliding door with frosted glass more or less closes off the room. Fine if you are by yourself as I was, maybe not so fine if traveling with someone who wants more privacy. Exhaust fan in the bathroom? Not at this price point.

The location itself is odd... very adjacent to a thruway exit. You have the feeling that you are surrounded by streets with nothing of any interest visible. Leave the hotel to walk about 5 blocks to Little Italy, a array of mostly restaurants along several blocks of a single street. Between the hotel and Little Italy... well, a nice Gelato shop.

Prefer to eat in the hotel? No real restaurant, just a "grill" of sorts. Hard to describe, but for breakfast I just took things back to my room. Got a sandwich here once and also back to the room. Dinner both nights in Little Italy. Nothing here that would make you even think about dinner at the hotel.

All in all... stay here if price is the main motivation. Otherwise, shop around. Maybe, for instance, the Doubletree just a block away if you need to be in this area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Tim E, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed our friendly staff and proximity to Little Italy. But, we are sorry to hear of the issues you experienced with the shuttle timing and cleanliness of room, as this does not reflect our goal to exceed expectations. I have reviewed your comments with the housekeeping department and staff to ensure the issue is corrected and we can continue to improve our amenities to ensure a great stay. We hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back. Please contact me if you have any questions or would like to discuss your stay further.

Tim Earp, General Manager 619-239-9600
Secret usa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Price was good but the room was the size of a closet and I'm not talking about a walkin. The parking sucked and it was full so had to park on street until space came open (they said they would refund me 17.00 but I still haven't seen it) my room was still dirty when I checked in Luke the manager said he would move me but I was beyond tired to do that so I asked for a sheet to lay on which was given to me the front desk were wonderful I loved the lady that checked me in her and Luke and the Asian guy with glasses looked so cute up there like the three amigos but I'm still mad that he didn't discount or come look at the mess I was describing but I took pics and corporate will receive them shortly

Room Tip: If u like space and easy parking this isn't the place for u
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
socialmediacoord, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you so much for writing a review about your experiences at the Four Points by Sheraton San Diego Downtown. Your comments help us to constantly improve our hotel and exceed our guest’s expectations. I am so sorry to hear that your room did not meet your expectations and our offer to move you to another room was not a sufficient solution. I remember speaking with you at the front desk, as you spoke so highly of the service that you received at check-in. As to your parking charge issue, we did waive your parking as stated, so you were never charged. Thank you again for your feedback and if you find yourself in San Diego again, we hope to have the opportunity to ensure you have a great stay.

tucson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I just booked a reservation at the Four Points Sheraton San Diego Downtown and had to call to change a date. The associate "LUKE" was exceptional. A perfect reflection of outstanding customer service. I haven't arrived there yet for the the 6 night stay, but if my stay is anything close to the service I recieved over the phone with "LUKE", I am sure my stay will be magical. I have been a supervisor at a Westin property and a Sheraton property and I hope all my associates can be the mirror of "LUKE" - Thank you Four Points for having such a great agent. Looking forward to my stay.

Room Tip: I arrive tomorrow but can't wait
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for writing a review about the Four Points by Sheraton San Diego Downtown. Your incredibly positive comments are a shining example of the quality of service that we provide here. It was a pleasure speaking with you on the phone and you were a delight to help. I know that you and your daughter thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us, and that we took every opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations. Please visit us again soon!

Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Taking into consideration that hotels in San Diego are quite expensive, sleeping in Four Points Downton was great. It is just 10 minutes walking to the harbour and 20 minutes away from the furthest point you will visit as a tourist. Just go down 1st avenue and you will be anywhere you want.

The only possible problem is that there are no restaurantes near de hotel (But you can buy something at the gas station just crossing the street)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Tim E, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad to hear our central downtown location met all your San Diego travel needs. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Tim Earp, General Manager 619-239-9600

Been to Four Points by Sheraton San Diego Downtown? Share your experiences!