“OK if budget is first priority” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #163 of 273 Hotels in San Diego
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
“OK if budget is first priority”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stayed two nights on a business trip. This hotel is just a few minutes from the airport (about 2 miles), a few blocks from Little Italy (about the only place to eat you can walk to.) And it happened to offer a discount to my client located nearby.

So consider these points: Staff was friendly on check-in for my two nights. Then scheduled my early AM taxi request for the morning after the first night. And that leads to the shuttle schedule for the airport. It starts at 6 AM... so if you have a flight anytime before or soon after 7 AM you won't be using it. Strange schedule. If they advertise an airport shuttle it should start at 5 AM... or at least 5:30.

Room was clean overall... but how did they miss the metal bottle cap just under the desk? And the red stains on the carpet? Carpet needs a cleaning. A/C in the room worked well (a surprise as the hallways are quite warm.) Good shower pressure, thin towels... and the true sign of a low budget hotel: no shower soap bar or shampoo in a bottle, everything is in squeeze tubes on the shower wall.

The most unusual room item: no real bathroom door. A sliding door with frosted glass more or less closes off the room. Fine if you are by yourself as I was, maybe not so fine if traveling with someone who wants more privacy. Exhaust fan in the bathroom? Not at this price point.

The location itself is odd... very adjacent to a thruway exit. You have the feeling that you are surrounded by streets with nothing of any interest visible. Leave the hotel to walk about 5 blocks to Little Italy, a array of mostly restaurants along several blocks of a single street. Between the hotel and Little Italy... well, a nice Gelato shop.

Prefer to eat in the hotel? No real restaurant, just a "grill" of sorts. Hard to describe, but for breakfast I just took things back to my room. Got a sandwich here once and also back to the room. Dinner both nights in Little Italy. Nothing here that would make you even think about dinner at the hotel.

All in all... stay here if price is the main motivation. Otherwise, shop around. Maybe, for instance, the Doubletree just a block away if you need to be in this area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Tim E, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed our friendly staff and proximity to Little Italy. But, we are sorry to hear of the issues you experienced with the shuttle timing and cleanliness of room, as this does not reflect our goal to exceed expectations. I have reviewed your comments with the housekeeping department and staff to ensure the issue is corrected and we can continue to improve our amenities to ensure a great stay. We hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back. Please contact me if you have any questions or would like to discuss your stay further.

Tim Earp, General Manager 619-239-9600

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Korean first
Secret usa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Price was good but the room was the size of a closet and I'm not talking about a walkin. The parking sucked and it was full so had to park on street until space came open (they said they would refund me 17.00 but I still haven't seen it) my room was still dirty when I checked in Luke the manager said he would move me but I was beyond tired to do that so I asked for a sheet to lay on which was given to me the front desk were wonderful I loved the lady that checked me in her and Luke and the Asian guy with glasses looked so cute up there like the three amigos but I'm still mad that he didn't discount or come look at the mess I was describing but I took pics and corporate will receive them shortly

Room Tip: If u like space and easy parking this isn't the place for u
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
socialmediacoord, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you so much for writing a review about your experiences at the Four Points by Sheraton San Diego Downtown. Your comments help us to constantly improve our hotel and exceed our guest’s expectations. I am so sorry to hear that your room did not meet your expectations and our offer to move you to another room was not a sufficient solution. I remember speaking with you at the front desk, as you spoke so highly of the service that you received at check-in. As to your parking charge issue, we did waive your parking as stated, so you were never charged. Thank you again for your feedback and if you find yourself in San Diego again, we hope to have the opportunity to ensure you have a great stay.

Luke Daehlin, Guest Relation Manager 619-239-9600
tucson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I just booked a reservation at the Four Points Sheraton San Diego Downtown and had to call to change a date. The associate "LUKE" was exceptional. A perfect reflection of outstanding customer service. I haven't arrived there yet for the the 6 night stay, but if my stay is anything close to the service I recieved over the phone with "LUKE", I am sure my stay will be magical. I have been a supervisor at a Westin property and a Sheraton property and I hope all my associates can be the mirror of "LUKE" - Thank you Four Points for having such a great agent. Looking forward to my stay.

Room Tip: I arrive tomorrow but can't wait
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for writing a review about the Four Points by Sheraton San Diego Downtown. Your incredibly positive comments are a shining example of the quality of service that we provide here. It was a pleasure speaking with you on the phone and you were a delight to help. I know that you and your daughter thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us, and that we took every opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations. Please visit us again soon!

Luke Daehlin, Guest Relation Manager 619-239-9600
Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Taking into consideration that hotels in San Diego are quite expensive, sleeping in Four Points Downton was great. It is just 10 minutes walking to the harbour and 20 minutes away from the furthest point you will visit as a tourist. Just go down 1st avenue and you will be anywhere you want.

The only possible problem is that there are no restaurantes near de hotel (But you can buy something at the gas station just crossing the street)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Tim E, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad to hear our central downtown location met all your San Diego travel needs. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Bonita, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I had some Starwood points to use up, so chose this hotel, whose circular shape had intrigued me for years. We paid extra points to have a room on the top floor with an extra large window, and the view of the bay, city, and airport was spectacular. We left the curtains open all night so when we woke we could see out. But besides this, the service at the desk when we checked in was slow and begrudging. We paid $17 to park, and at night the parking lot was full. Fortunately, we found someone who was leaving and waited 10 minutes while he maneuvered his large van out of the small spaces. The tiny deli did provide surprisingly good sandwiches. But I know we won't return here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Colby, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

It was my first time in California and not knowing anyone we were greeted with open arms and friendly faces by all staff. We didn't drive so the young men who drove us to and from went out of their way to accommodate us. The front desk people were extremely helpful and polite. I would recommend this hotel to everyone and the restaurant crew and food was out of this would fabulous. One suggestion head over to MCRD and let them know about you. The closeness of the hotel to them and the airport and to several different places within walking distance, make no sense to stay anywhere but here. Watch the price because most of the people are coming to see their Marine money is tight. special prices will catch them every time! It is great to have your free shuttle, pool , restaurant/bar, and clean and beautiful rooms and your special little perks you gave us. Really your staff is wonderful. BE PROUD . I would stay here again if I could. Thanks Scot and Virginia Carver and PFC Brenn.

Room Tip: Ask for Amanda! She's great!!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Congratulations to your son for his graduation from MCRD Marine Corps! Thank you for your kind comments regarding our welcoming staff, and we are delighted to hear your first time in California was so memorable. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations with a friendly and helpful staff by providing the upmost in service. I have shared your comments with the staff and look forward to welcoming you back during your second trip to California.

Chichester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

A cylindrical hotel in a lovely downtown area near the most beautiful bay..... So how could it go wrong? The hotel is situated right next to a major highway/motorway and one of the off ramps wraps around the building. It's very hard to drive into and almost impossible to drive out without being forced down the highway/motorway on ramp. The room was tiny. No proper bathroom door, just a sliding screen. The cafe/coffeeshop was a strange and expensive place. The staff were uninterested. They tried to charge me for 3x the days for parking fee. Not really close enough to walk easily to any of the attractions, and there are some 'less than desirable' areas to walk through, due to its location. The pool is tiny, impossible to do laps. Just don't do it. So many other choices. Ruined our holiday. Yuck

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, as feedback is valuable in constantly improving our guest experience. I am sorry to hear we fell short of your expectations, as we strive to provide our guests with a great location and comfortable accommodation with every stay. I have addressed the issues you stated with the front desk and restaurant departments, and hope you will allow us the opportunity to earn back your patronage. Please contact me if you have any questions or would like to discuss your stay further.