“Felt very welcome” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Handlery Hotel San Diego

You added Handlery Hotel San Diego to your Saves list
Handlery Hotel San Diego
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   950 Hotel Circle North, San Diego, CA 92108 (Mission Valley / Hotel Circle)   |
Ranked #135 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Medicine Hat, Canada
“Felt very welcome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Handlery Sept23rd to the 28th and it was fantastic. We asked to switch rooms after the first night just because we were by a stairway and it was too noisy and they were more than helpful. Didn't ask any questions or make us feel like we were putting them out or anything-our next room was perfect. Both rooms were clean and beds were very comfortable. Breakfast every morning was excellent. Good selection of fruit, bagels, toast, coffee etc. still ordered oatmeal every day as well but thats just me:) Jeff and Rich? This is terrible that I cannot remember the other shuttle drivers name. I'm almost sure it was Rich. Anyway, both the shuttle drivers were fantastic-sooooo helpfull. They had all sorts of tips and recommendations about places to eat (la Pinata), times and locations of all the sites. Honestly we cannot say enough how helpful these two gentlemen were. All around we just felt like we were treated like we were old friends. San Diego itself was excellent too and when we plan a second trip we will not hesitate to stay at the Handlery again!

Room Tip: Ask for an inside room (hotel style) if you want a quiet room, not the motel style room. Much quiete...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We chose the handlery San diego because of previously staying in the one in San Francisco. I think this is a lovely hotel, all the staff are really friendly and helpful and you also get some free breakfast vouchers included in your stay. All in all an overall good stay.

• Stayed September 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Just had a great trip to the States and the only downfall was the San Diego hotel….long story, I decided to stay there for my last 5 nights as I was over moving around hotels. I did the upgrade but they could only do the upgrade for the last 4 nights – I wanted a downstairs room by the pool. Anyway this was fine, they arranged to move my bags the next day when we where out and I just needed to collect a key when we got back from our day trip to Sea World. Left reception feeling assured that this was all under control and thinking that all the previous comments I had read on trip Advisor where harsh or incorrect. We returned – went to the counter and she said here is your room key for 151 (this was on the 2nd level of the building…same level I was on for my first night) – I said well that’s not right as it was supposed to be 121 as per my highlighted sheet. Anyway was pretty disappointed with them and I ended up getting a ground floor room as requested but it only had a king bed so I had to get a roll out bed put in and which my 2 youngest kids had to top and tail in. Told them this was not what I paid a $30 upgrade fee for….agreed to refund the upgrade for all 5 nights. When I went to pay however it was only refunded on 3 nights – I queried and said I was told all 5 nights and then he said it was only for the time that you where in the incorrect room…so I said well that was 4 nights not 3. So they refunded for 4 nights. The staff where polite, Amanda in particular - we accepted that there may have been mis-communication between us and she apologised.

The pool was very good at the hotel, rooms where ok – bathrooms quite small. I did think the breakfast was a drama. Everyday you had to wait atleast 15-30 mins for a table – most of the time we got in within 15 mins. The hotel has 217 rooms from memory and I counted the breakfast seating at about 47…not sure what they would do if they where fully booked. Menu items where the same the whole 5 days…no change in muffin or Danish flavours, same cut fruit…..it was ok but nothing amazing. Staff worked hard in there and tried there best but I think it was just a lack of staff issue and tables for the dining area.

I also noticed that the pool on the weekends was very busy due to the locals that are allowed entry. Make trying to get a lounger a little difficult.

Overall not a bad hotel but would think twice before I rebooked.

Room Tip: If you are just a couple and enjoy lounging my the pool then I would suggest paying the $30 upgrade...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We had a group of 17 people, with developmental and physical disabilities, stay at the hotel and we were treated like gold. The staff was accommodating and went out of their way to make our stay memorable and enjoyable. The rooms were not super fancy but clean and fresh for the price; the wheelchair rooms were very efficient. The pool side was clean and well cared for. We ate all our meals their too that were fantastic. We would stay their again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
GenMgrSanDiego_CA, General Manager at Handlery Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you for such a great review, it was a pleasure to have you and your group stay with us and we hope to see you back soon. Again thank you for everything and we wish you the best.
Wynyard
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Excellent facilty, easy access to transport, shops , wonderful staff that go out of their way to help in anyway possible. Very clean. Excellent ***** breakfast provided. Shuttle service provided by Jeff on application. Generally fantastic place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the nice review. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return. thank you again for staying with us.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

Overall the hotel was a bit far out for those who don't have their own transport although the guy who drives the hotel van is very accommodating and will take you most places within reason.The rooms were a bit dated but were clean and tidy. Again because of being on the freeway there were a limited number of places to go to eat. The hotel restaurant had a limited menu but the food was of good quality.Our main gripe with this hotel was the pool. For 5 dollars all and sundry from San Diego can come and have use of the pool.And on weekends they do.Saturdays and Sundays are absolutely stacked out with local families with screaming kids on inflatables splashing everybody in sight. On top of this they also employ some local rock group to play for several hours music that is intended to be louder than the kids but with words that you couldn t hear. But nobody at the hotel even bothered to tell the guests that this happens every weekend so to give them a choice because it is making them money at the bar and pool restaurant and sod the residents. Overall not that good and certainly wouldn t stay here again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
thank you for taking the time to write a response, I am sorry that you did not enjoy our summer pool party. This summer we did let our neighbors in the condo's next door enjoy the use of the pool and live entertainment on Sundays. Moving forward we will handle the public differently next year and limit the amount of people into the pool area so that guests have a place to sit at the pool. We are a family oriented hotel and do get alot of children visiting in the summer months. I do hoe that you will try us again next summer, you will see a difference.
Thank you again.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

What a great hotel. Everything was clean and comfortable. The staff at the front desk and in the restaurant were amazing very helpful and super friendly. Kudos to the gentleman who was on the front desk the night we arrived (do not remember his name) he was very helpful and patient.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
GenMgrSanDiego_CA, General Manager at Handlery Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a great review, we are all happy that you enjoyed your stay and that the staff took such great care of you. The next time your travels find you in San Diego please give us a call, we'd love to have you stay with us again.
Pete Lassalette

Been to Handlery Hotel San Diego? Share your experiences!