“A comic con stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley

You added Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2270 Hotel Circle North, San Diego, CA 92108 (Formerly "Red Lion Hanalei Hotel") (Mission Valley / Hotel Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #147 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Rancho Cucamonga, California
“A comic con stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

The hotel website shows the beautiful lobby not the room buildings. Don't believe the website front page. The rooms are accessible as if living in an apartment complex. We stayed 3 nights. The queen sized beds felt as it needed to be replaced. You could feel the bed bend when you sat down to lay on it. The rooms were average. Not fancy or deluxe. There isn't a refrigerator for this deluxe room. The front desk staff is friendly and helpful with information. The staff gets 5 stars. The hotel room gets an average 3 stars. There is a pool, but I didn't get a chance to try it. There is a parking fee per day stayed of about $12. There isn't any security for the parking lot. There is a sign that states that they are not held responsible for theft of your vehicle or belongings. Parts of the parking lot are dark at night. Not enough lighting. The free breakfast felt like you were eating at a cafeteria in elementary school back in the 80s. Canned fruit is what I heard a lot of complaints about. Not worth being free. The overall visit was that we didn't stay here to be there all day. It was chosen because of availability during comic con.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Guest S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Chris L,

We hope you had a great time at Comic Con 2013! Thank you for your 5 star rating of our excellent staff, and we appreciate your feedback about the property as we are always wanting to improve the guest overall experience.

Daniel Miranda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Korean first
Cypress, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

This place is outdated, dirty, and generally terrible. They charge you for everything... Parking, computer usage. I'm a Platinum points member with holiday inn and I will never stay here again and plan to complain

• Stayed August 2013
Guest S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear spdrcr4278,

We are sorry for any inconvenience you had during your stay. If you never contacted management I encourage you to do so, we would like more information regarding your stay. As an IHG Platinum member you definitely qualify for free internet, parking and breakfast throughout your stay. We would like to look into your reservation as to why you never received these complimentary services. We hope you contact on us so we can make things right and invite you back to our hotel.

Billerica, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for a night because. It was great to go to the hotel the staff was nice. The hotel was fun, inside it had Tiki's, water fountain, and a fish pond, my kids loved looking at the fish. It was nice because I was traveling by myself with the kids and I felt safe with the gated area for parking. I was a little bummed about not having the internet connection, however, I was really to tired to even go on. I would definately go again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Guest S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear basketchix,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay! We were thrilled to read that you and your children had an excellent stay with us. We hope to see you again on your next visit to San Diego.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Be sure to stay in newer part of hotel because the older rooms smell like mold. Even the nice spray gift can't mask that scent.

Good breakfast buffet.

Sushi Bar was a surprise and decent.

The maids come super early (8am and 9am) so be sure to sign up if your on vacation

• Stayed July 2013
Dear AdventurerMN,

We appreciate your feedback. The Director of Housekeeping will be looking closely into those rooms to ensure they are being ventilated and staying fresh.

Warmest Regards,
College Park, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I always try to stay in a Holiday Inn or Crown Plaza to take advantage of free internet and I am a Priority Club member. I stayed here for 5 days; booked through Expedia. Check in was smooth despite Comic Con.

I needed to get up-to-date information off the internet for a presentation the following day, but could not connect without paying a $10 fee per day to AT&T. First time not to have free internet at Holiday Inn or Crown Plaza.

Visited the front desk and politely asked for free internet and said I was a Priority Club member. She said if I was a Gold member I could get free internet. I presented my card which clearly shows I am a Gold member, but she entered my number and told me I was a Club member and presented me with a package to two cookies. Disappointed but not worth a $10 tantrum, I returned to my room and tried to log on.

Could not connect so I called the AT&T help desk. After a 45 minute wait, a polite representative took me through the steps needed to connect, but did not get a connection. After another long holding wait, I was told AT&T would not be able to get me connected that night.

All this kept me awake long into the am hours and still did not have the data needed. Poorly rested, I muddled through my presentation. But, the cookies were good.

Generally I give high ratings to these Hotels. Beds are comfortable, rooms clean and staff friendly. But this time the internet was a huge disappointment.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Nickolas Z,

We are sorry for the inconvenience you had with internet connection during your stay. AT&T is our internet provider and unfortunately they do not inform us when they install updates. We do offer free internet to all hotel guests in the business center which could have been an alternative while the WiFi was currently down. In January 2014 we will be providing free WiFi to all guests which will be the standard for all IHG properties.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Came for Comic-Con and had 4 people. Our online reservation said 1 king bed but we called and easily switched to 2 queens. The front desk staff was nice in the morning but would not let us check in early. Came back that night and the guy at the desk was super helpful. We were pleasantly surprised to see a balcony over the pool area, a fridge and a microwave!
The first sheet on the bed did feel weird, kind of like paper, but the rest of the bedding was comfortable. The room was clean and tidy.
The middle of the hotel area is real pretty with a waterfall and greenery. The elevators are glass and in the center so you get a pretty view while using them.
I liked that if you don't want any maid service they will slip a $5 voucher under the door to thank you for being green. Of course this doesn't get you very far in their market but I love the idea.
The hot tub was the best feature, used it both nights after walking around Con all day. But they do definitely come around right at closing time and kick you out. There are towels provided for you by the pool and hot tub but the are so tiny and thin! You should bring your own or a bath towel from the room.
My only complaint is that the morning breakfast is only for 2 people and we had 4. That meant everyone could only go and eat together one day. Also, paying for parking really sucks but it saved me money to park there and take the shuttle, rather than parking by the convention center.
Also, by signing up for their free loyalty program they gave us a code to get free wifi which you would otherwise have to pay for.

Green Features: The hotel rewards you for opting out of maid service during your stay
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Amanda E,

What a great review! We appreciate all of your feedback and recommendations you give to future guests. We hope to see you again soon.

By the way, great picture of our waterfall!

Tehachapi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

First of all the front desk staff was very helpful. Nice 7th floor balcony overlooking the pool, spa, palm trees, and 8 freeway! Affordable, edible room service pizza deal. I liked the incentivized go green $5 voucher for not taking housekeeping. Pool/jacuzzi hours were a bit too restrictive for my liking. Maintenance and grounds workers were Johnny on the spot with issues of that sort. Easy access to other parts of San Diego. Entrance to property was challenging.

Room Tip: The higher the better