“Anniversary” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley

You added Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2270 Hotel Circle North, San Diego, CA 92108 (Formerly "Red Lion Hanalei Hotel") (Mission Valley / Hotel Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #136 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Anniversary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

The staff, especially Yesenia, went out of their way to make sure we had a great visit for our 35th wedding anniversary. We were made to feel very special. We were given the star treatment. The grounds are very beautiful and we enjoyed the tropical decor. I stay at this hotel often as a flight attendant and am very pleased I chose to stay there on my own for our anniversary.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Daniel M, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Star B,

Thank you for deciding to stay with us during your anniversary, it was a pleasure to have you. I am delighted that our staff and Yesenia made your stay very special. We hope to be of service to you again in the future.

Warm Regards,
Daniel Miranda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Korean first
Davis, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Located among lots of hotels/motels just off of the 8 freeway, this hotel is fine. The room was average size, the furnishings a bit dated. Overall, the place just felt pretty tired. We stayed here for a big tournament, so it was convenient. If I was on my own, this is probably not a place i would choose. It wasn't bad, but it was nothing special. The only amenity that I used was the spa and the water temperature was only warm, not hot.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear djt68,

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding our property and furnishing being dated. We will look into this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Fort Pierce, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My first impression was right after I checked in and trekked, in the rain, to my room on opposite side of the hotel. There was a noisy street or highway on my side of the hotel. My keys wouldn't work, so I had to lug all of my belongings back to the desk with me ( it was raining on the "hallway"). When I told the clerk my keys didn't work, he asked me if I knew how to use them... REALLY?? A pretty rude comment if you ask me. He then tested my keys in his machine and said they were fine. He then also gave me a "master" key and said he would have engineering come to my room to check the actual lock to see if the battery was bad. When I got to my room, the engineer said his key worked, he tried both of mine and they still did not work. The master key did. He was nice and he had new keys sent to my room for me. First impression... not good. We were there with a large group of people for a conference, so our gatherings were in different parts of the hotel. The decor is very nice, but not well though out. If you walked down the 'motel like' (outside) hallways, the ceramic tile floors were extremely slippery. Unfortunately, it rained the 4 days I was there. Because of my numerous knee surgeries, I opted to walk outside on the concrete pathways to get where I was going instead of the slip and slide of the hallways. Even the stairs were tile and slick. There were numerous older people at this conference, and we were lucky that no one got hurt, (that I am aware of). Beautiful concept, just not practical. I also have a problem with charges for internet at the "nicer" hotels. With all the money they charge, it is ridiculous. You can get free internet at Motel 6!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Irene S,

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience or uneasiness you experienced during your stay. Certainly being able to enter your guest room without any inconvenience is a standard expectation of our guests. I am sorry your experience has been otherwise. Your comments are very helpful to us and I appreciate you taking the time to write them down.

I can assure you that your experience is not typical of our usual standard of service as we usually do a much better job of taking care of our guests. I hope that you reconsider staying with us during a future visit to San Diego so that we can provide you with the style of service and accommodations we wish you had received in the first place.

Warm Regards,
Sherman Oaks, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've stayed here twice over the last 2.5 years. And each time, I feel like it could have been so much more.

You drive in, and the lobby looks great, but even with a couple people behind the desk, I've never been helped that quickly. Once being helped, staff was courteous, and efficient, it would seem. Until you get to the "are you parking with us?"

That simple question throws off alarm bells. This Crowne Plaza is right next door to a Motel 6 with free parking, and parking in the Hotel Circle area of San Diego is hardly at a premium, and only the sleaziest of "hotels" seem to charge for it. And, the staff never mentions it, only crosses out the $10 fee on the parking pass, and writes in the $12 fee, and makes you sign. So, another $12 goes to increase the rate I booked under.

And internet? At the Motel 6, I believe it's still $2.99. At the Crowne Plaza, $9.99. So far, $22 dollars more than I booked for. Without even a continental breakfast.

These sorts of gotchas add up, and made me feel nickled-and-dimed to death, not treated to a proper 3 star hotel.

The room wasn't impressive either. It was spacious, and the beds and linens were nice, if not a bit corporate feeling. But the armoire was dated, scratched, and even had a missing hook on one side that nobody had bothered to replace. The coffee maker fell apart when I tried to use it, and the hinges of the bathroom door were so caked in a red rust substance that they had stained the tile floor and wall around them. Carpets were worn and dirty. In fact, I thought I had a developed a foot condition when I went to put on socks after walking with slightly damp feet from the bathroom to the bed to sit down. My feet were a dark color on the bottom.

And, the "going green" theme? Apparently, room cleaning only costs the hotel $5/day, which they graciously will give you as a credit at the restaurant if you don't elect to have your room cleaned. Here I thought that I was paying for the room, so I could have someone clean it for me!

The going green also was annoying IN the room. The bathroom lights were on a motion sensor that kept turning them off. I wasn't motionless in the bathroom for hours, but twice during a shower, and once while at the commode, I was treated to this "feature" that made sure I didn't just wiggle a bit, but that I actually went and pushed the button for the lights to come back. And the fan that came on with the lights was so loud, I'm sure the neighbors must've not been impressed.

The feel in the lobby area is that of a tropical hotel, and even the layout lends a theme. But the ill-kept walkways, the creaky elevators, the afterthought fitness room, and attempt to always make an extra dime show you that this truly isn't paradise, no matter the rate.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Daniel M, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Geof G,

We value the feedback of our guests and we appreciate your feedback about our property. I apologize that you did not have an overall great stay with us. We definitely do not want our guest to feel “nickel and dimed” that is why we advertise on our website the cost for parking and internet so there are no hidden charges. Most one and two star properties are considered motels and do not charge for parking or internet as a way to attract guests to stay to compensate the fewer amenities and quality that other properties provide.

We have received great feedback from our guests regarding the hotel participating in “going green” to help the environment. It is not obligated for anyone to participate while for those who do we give a $5 food and beverage discount as a way to say thank you for helping the hotel and most importantly the environment.

I hope this explanation is helpful to understand and you will visit us again!

Kind regards,
Guest relations Manager
San Diego, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This review is not based on room stay, but on attendance at a conference. I attended an all day conference in the Paradise Room. The room was freezing cold. Attendees actually had to go to their cars to get their jackets and gloves it was so cold in the room. The speaker contacted the front desk several times and nothing happened. It was really unacceptable. When we broke for lunch I was the first down to the restaurant and first seated. About 6 other groups came after me. However I was the last to have my order taken and getting the food out took too long. Restaurant was not crowded. I have attended events here for many many years and have witnessed this property has gone up and down. It is now on a downward trend. Don't know about rooms, but would be careful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear SDTravelMom,

We are sorry that the service in the restaurant was other than exceptional, there are no excuses for the service that you received and for that I apologize. The meeting room temperature during your conference has been addressed as we always want a comfortable room temperature for every conference attendees. I hope that on your next visit while to our property we will earn a great review from you.

Sincerely
Guest Relations Manager
White Lake, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

My wife and I vacationed in San Diego and stayed at this Crowne Plaza for three nights in December 2011. I'm a little behind on my reviews but this was a nice property.

The rooms were very well sized and ours had a balcony. We didn't really use it as it didn't really get above about 60 degrees during our stay, but it was a corner room and had a nice view which we enjoyed.

The one thing that is different about this hotel is its exterior corridor. But - its still protected like it was interior corridor as you've got to have a key to get into the building. Think of it like an Embassy Suites (which all mostly use that courtyard type of feature) except that you're outside. It really is no less secure than an interior corridor building.

The grounds are well kept and the place has a distinct tropical feel so you know you're somewhere where its supposed to be warm. They charge $12 or $15 a night for parking I believe but its waived for most (if not all) priority club members. The lines on the parking lot should be re-drawn as they're way too tight. Not everyone is driving a compact car. Anything larger and you're spilling into another space.

We had a couple of issues during our stay concerning internet not working on the business center computer (which you're charged for using), and the staff was very friendly and prompt in resolving those issues for us.

Overall, there's so much to do in San Diego so we didn't spend tons of time in the hotel. No doubt, we'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view