“meet my expectations but.......” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley

You added Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2270 Hotel Circle North, San Diego, CA 92108 (Formerly "Red Lion Hanalei Hotel") (Mission Valley / Hotel Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #135 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
SYLMAR,CA
“meet my expectations but.......”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

this hotel was clean and well worth the money. i would recommend this hotel to my family and friends. just be aware that the parking is a 12 dollar extra. and the parking spaces are so small if you have a truck you will not be parking there.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Daniel M, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear David W,

Thank you for staying with us and recommending our hotel to your family and friends. In
regards to our $12 parking fee which is noted on our website, majority of the hotels in this area do charge for parking. The properties that do not charge are Motels. To any guest who has a large vehicle we do have plenty of spaces as we accommodate Charter Busses throughout the year. Please let us know if you have a large vehicle so we can assist on where to park.

Daniel Miranda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Korean first
Gardena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

My wife and our kids checked-in to your hotel on Friday evening. Your front desk staff were pleasant and accommodating--did all the paper work necessary in the morning and sent us to Sea World to have fun (and she said..."go and have fun, and just come back and get your keys"). On our way out, the bellman gave us some map and even options to park our car at the hotel or they could shuttle us over to Sea World (this was well before 9:00 am). Already, we were in good mood--even my son yelled-out "...let the fun begins". We drove anyway, but we very pleased with the approach.

Around 6:30 pm, we pulled-up to your hotel, Bellman Ty approached us with the cart ready to help. We off loaded our bags, showed-us how to get to the back (Aloha entrance), and he would meet us at our room (#1539). We got-off the elevator, Ty was already in our room with all of our bags on the floor. He then asked whether this was our first time at Crowne Plaza, we replied "yes". He then proceeded to show us the safe, television buttons, bathroom lights, balcony area and more before he departed.

My wife and I went downstairs to scout the restaurants for our scheduled family birthday dinner while the kids were getting ready. Mike, the bartender, is a must employee to have. Aside from serving us with a friendly smile, he sparked a conversation with us in which he learned that we were new to your hotel, and furthermore gave us a run-down of the restaurants, sushi bar, and the bar itself. We did not have dinner at your hotel because it was very close to closing time, but we kept Mike busy for the rest of the evening upon returning from our disastrous dinner at Hunter.

Upon returning upstairs to get ready for dinner, we received a phone call from downstairs to find out whether we received those towels that we requested (thru Bellman Ty). Whatever you feeding your employees, keep the same going because they were outstanding! Subsequent to our dinner at Hunter (horrible service; we told the manager prior to leaving the restaurant), we visited with Bartender Mike and continued our conversation. Just cool folks you got there. And, Sushi Mike and the rest of the gang (waiters) were awesome. The salmon and yellow tails sushi were awesome (we ordered sushi and sashimi, even after dinner at Hunter).

On Saturday, after the zoo, my wife and I went to the jacuzzi and we wanted some drinks, but we were so relaxed and did not want to leave. So, we called Bartender Mike and launched the order for delivery. He said "we don't have that service now, but let me see what I can do." He then sent one of his colleagues to drop-off the drinks. Awesome service, talking about "thinking outside of the box". Thank you Bartender Mike! He is a "human yelp;" we wished that we obtained his inputs prior to eating at Hunter.

I apologize for the long-winded email, but I believe it is worth sharing that you in fact do have awesome staff (from your front desk personnel, to your restaurant-bar personnel, to your housekeeping personnel, and even your bellman personnel--which, in my opinion, the face of your hotel upon guests arrival and departure. Bellman rocks!

We will return to your hotel, for sure, whenever our next adventure to your lovely San Diego.

Very Satisfied Customers and Thank You!

Katoa Family

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Daniel M, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear Joe K,

Wow! We appreciate you taking the time for writing such an exceptional review! It shows how our staff takes great pride in providing excellent customer service going the extra mile for our guests from the moment they drive up on our driveway. Thank you for your kind words as I will pass them to our staff, Ty and Mike B. We hope you choose Crowne Plaza on your next visit to
San Diego.

San Juan Capistrano, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

After a horrible first night at another hotel we booked a room here using a discount hotel website (think William shatner). We got a super deal. Upon checking in around 1 the friendly desk agent told us he had rooms available. We checked in paid our $12 dollar parking fee (in/out privileges) and were on our way to room 1335. The room was excellent in size had a large balcony and overlooked the courtyard and pool. Bed was nice and soft, bathroom was clean and TV had a lot of programming options. Had some minor issues with the TV but front desk resolved it immediately. Will definitely stay here in the future.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Daniel Anthony P,

Thank you for staying with us! I’m glad that you had a far better hospitality experience than you did at the other property. We hope to see you again soon and continue to provide you with excellent service.

Santa Rosa, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

This hotel looks very beautiful from the outside, but once you get in a bit closer it is somewhat dingy. The grounds are lovely, the pool clean and inviting, and the parking very ample and fairly priced---however, I was not too impressed with some of the employees in the bar and restaurants. I was totally ignored at the bar and finally had to ask the busboy to get us our drinks. He did, and the bartender did not even acknowledge that she had ignored us as she plopped the bill in front of us without even a glance. She may have been busy but rudeness is uncalled for. The decor in the bar is outdated and tacky---the furniture clunky and uncomfortable. It is the first thing you see once you check in so it should be inviting and pleasing, but it needs some updating. The employees are also a bit unkempt and rough around the edges.
The hotel does this "Green " thing where you receive a $ 5 voucher daily for not having maid service. I discovered random garbage in the room, hair in the sinks, along with burned out bulbs in lamps and light fixtures. This is most likely because the rooms are left dirty for extended periods of time. The rooms need to have the garbage removed and broken items replaced regularly.
Some positives: the fair price for parking, and free wi-fi we were allowed ,as well as respectful reception-area employees. The hotel is quiet, has lovely gardens, and it is nice to have a microwave, mini-fridge ---plus coffee maker available.

Room Tip: I had a room on the seventh floor overlooking the pool and the view was lovely. I liked being able t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
West Point, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I was unpleasantly surprised at the quality of my room after looking at the absolutely beautiful grounds. Only two outlets in the room were not broken, I had to move the desk out to plug my laptop directly into the wall since the outlet on the light was also broken. The little red light on my bedroom nightstand flickered, and most annoying of all, a standard room does not come with a mini-frig. The front door stuck and made an enormous noise when opened and closed. Come to find out, later in the night, my neighboring room had the same problem. The blanket on the bed was a waffle-weave, which was uncomfortable through the sheets, and the pillows were low quality. I ordered room service for dinner and the dinner menu in the room was no longer current. When the food came, it was only of average quality. Part of the garnish was missing from my fish, and the mashed potatoes were fair at best. The cost, on the other hand, was higher than I'm used to paying. To top it all off, the coffee machine comes with low quality packs of creamer rather than real half-and-half. This hotel needs to invest in some maintenance on the rooms. I will not be staying here again due to the deferred maintenance issues.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Daniel M, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Dear D H,

Thank you for your review. First and foremost please accept my apologies for any inconvenience and uneasiness you experienced during your stay. Our #1 goal is always guest satisfaction first and it disturbs me that your experience was otherwise. I hope that you reconsider staying with us during a future visit to San Diego so that we can provide you with the style of complete service we wish you had received in the first place.

If you would like make reservations, contact me directly at (619) 297-1101 ext 3108 and your arrangements will be handled personally. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of assistance or if you have any further questions.

Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

This is a standard large hotel according to "formula A", with some added niceties. It does have a nice heated pool. The Islands restaurant is surprisingly good (at least the drinks, chicken wings, nachos and sliders we had for dinner). The palm trees and other greenery is nice. The breakfast however was quite bad, and the rooms are dated. The location is fairly horrible right next to the freeway, but one knows that when booking. We stayed here for Comic-Con 2012 because we could not get a more central hotel - something I would otherwise be prepared to pay a lot more for.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Needed to stay in San Diego. Went to the Crowne Plaza on a recomendation of a friend. The hotel is in a great spot with good access to anything around San Diego. The pool was great. We soaked up the sun in the nice warm pool. I love the waterfalls and little ponds scattered about the grounds.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley? Share your experiences!