“Smoking allowed at pool” 2 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5434 Kearny Mesa Road, San Diego, CA 92111   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #27 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
California
“Smoking allowed at pool”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

Although the hotel has been remodeled, the airconditioning units are quite loud, interfering with sleep. I assume they did not replace the units.
The fitness room is great and open 24 hours.
The pool, however, is unusable for nonsmokers. The hotel allows guests to smoke at the pool which I think is irresponsible given that secondhand smoke is a known cause of cancer.
Also, when I complained that I was not able to use the pool because of their policy, I was not given even a token discount. I complained as soon as the issue arose and again on departure. Hampton Inn has a 100% satisfaction guarantee. I wasn't expecting to not pay at all, but a small discount would have been nice since I was unable to use the pool due to their own policies.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

Not close to downtown, but if you have a car and can overlook that ... there is no reason to stay anywhere else. Downtown hotels charge to park.
We arrived at 10:00 AM after an all night flight, and a drive down from LA. Kristin checked us right in. The room was standard-issue Hampton, but clean and comfortable. The TV was huge, although we didn't really watch it.
The pool looked inviting, but again, we didn't find time for it during our one night stay.
We liked: Souplanation, just down the street, the service (smiles from EVERYONE), the breakfast, the cleanliness, the lobby (great fish tank), the ample parking just outside the door.
We didn't like: Noise from Miramar until 9:00 PM. Not Hampton's fault ... and nothing they can do about it - just something to be aware of if you are a light sleeper.
I would return without hesitation.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Nipomo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

We stayed for four nights and enjoyed the location, the breakfast, the pool, and the comfortable rooms. We would stay here again. Staff was friendly and helpful. Room was clean and appropriately furnished.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Newton, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

The hotel is very clean. The beds are very comfortable. The breakfast was more than adequate, and there was daily variety. The front desk staff was always welcoming, helpful, polite, and ready to serve. We would stay there again anytime.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Pasadena, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

Just returned from this hotel for family visit. Very good rate for San Diego, not too far from attractions, My only complaint is there are no blackout drapes on the window. The parking lot lights kept the room too light at night Bed very comfy nice flat screen TV. Had breakfast at Original Pancake House excellent is a few miles from hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
hamptonsdkmgm, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Kearny Mesa, responded to this review, August 30, 2010
Thank you for your feedback on our property. I am sorry that you were disturbed by the lights in the parking lot and were unable to find the blackout curtains. I wanted to take a moment to clear up any confusion regarding them. They are available in each room, and are the third layer of window covering right after the sheers, they sometimes get tucked pretty close to the wall and are not very obvious. If you have any questions regarding them while you are a guest here, there is someone always available at the front desk to assist. Once again thank you for taking the time to review us.
Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

I came to San Diego to bring my boyfriend to the Zoo - we go to the zoos around us all the time and I decided this would be a nice treat. The front desk man was very nice and efficient, and gave me my keys and told me where my room was located.

The room was much more than I expected it to be. Comfortable and HUGE bed, clean sheets, a sofa, a huge TV, and a giant bathroom were waiting in my room. There were plenty of towels, a bit of a small closet, but overall a great, spacious, clean room. No funky smells or anything of that sort, and no sounds from any rooms around us (which I know were occupied).

In the morning there was a breakfast buffet, which wasn't really impressive, but it was a "free" breakfast and it was all you can eat. Check out was easy and convenient. Overall, no one poked and prodded me too much, they weren't overwhelming and they accommodated me as I needed. I definitely like this hotel because of the location, the rooms, and because everything went very smoothly.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

We stayed here from 5/4-5/6. This was wonderful place to stay. I have never stayed at a Hampton Inn before and never intended on staying at one. After reading the reviews I figured I would give it a try. I was glad I did. The hotel was clean and the staff was friendly at check-in. The room was spacious and the bed comfortable. It had a big flat screen television. I was impressed with the free morning breakfast that was served each day. It included cereals, pastries, fruit, juices and there was also egg and sausage. This hotel is not close to any major attractions but is close to the freeway. I usually stay at Courtyards so this was a pleasant surprise. I will be staying again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Been to Hampton Inn San Diego - Kearny Mesa? Share your experiences!