“Second visit and not disappointed!” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5434 Kearny Mesa Road, San Diego, CA 92111   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #27 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Phoenix, Arizona
“Second visit and not disappointed!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

This is our second time staying at this property. They are undergoing a facelift, new exterior paint, etc. This didn't affect our stay. As always the staff is OVER THE TOP friendly, greeting you every time you enter and exit the lobby. They are so helpful. The breakfast area is small, but accomodating. Usual breakfast fare with make your own waffles each morning, etc. The rooms are sufficient as far as size is concerned, very, very clean. I walked around in socks in the room and they weren't dirty at all.

This property is only 6 miles north of Hotel Circle, a short drive to everything. The rate includes free parking, which is rare in the San Diego area, an added bonus for sure!

The only change would be to add something, such as weather stripping to the door of the room, as you could see light coming through underneath and along the doorframe edge. That's a little unsettling when you want privacy.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Nor Cal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011 via mobile

Hotel is right off freeway and in a semi-industrial location, very convenient to Hwys 163 and 805 and lots of shopping, little restaurants, and fast food nearby. Accommodations were clean and quiet, bed was very soft. Pool looked inviting but it was cloudy & cold during my stay. Hot breakfast was good, and staff were friendly. Downtown San Diego, beaches, & area attractions were a short drive away.

• Stayed April 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

Hampton is my most stayed at location and I've stayed at a lot of them. This one is hands down the cleanest, visually attractive (Inside), and has the friendliest staff in my 10+ years of business travel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

It's a shame the management staff at this property and at Hilton Corporate failed, because the hotel would rank average or above average were it not for service deficiencies from managment. Larger-than-average rooms, a standard continental breakfast, ample parking, and gracious front-line staff made my stay here worthwhile. Some aircraft noise from the nearby military base, but it's San Diego - good luck NOT hearing military aircraft!

My issue arose when I discovered my work colleague had booked a double-double and I, a king-bedded room ... with our rate varying by $10. When I asked for a minor variance on rate, so we could bill identical hotel charges to our client, the kind desk staff referred me to the GM.

I know she was the General Manager not just by her namebadge, but by her clear need to announce her title to me. She promptly corrected my adjective, ensuring I now know that a $10 variance in rate is not "minor." She then declined my request. I felt this was unacceptable, to which her fallback position was to raise my colleague's rate by $5 and lower mine by $5. I was then lectured on how "incredibly busy and sold out" the hotel was.

My response was (an admittedly toothless) threat to check out, given that her hotel is "so busy" she could re-sell my room to another guest at a higher rate. She seemed perfectly content if I were to have elected that option.

The feedback I left with Hilton Worldwide was met with an auto-response e-mail about how important my business is and a promise to get back in touch ... but I haven't heard anything.

I average about 100 room nights a year. Through the actions of their GM at Hampton Kearney Mesa, and lax response from Guest Relations at Corporate, Hilton's given me nice cause to cut up my HHonors Elite-level card and shift my business to another, more gracious operator.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

I had a couple of choices but after reading the reviews here I decided to try this hotel and am glad I did! The hotel is very close to highways and yummy restaurants. Free parking and internet is always a plus. The front desk staff was very friendly. The room was clean and I can't ask anything more. I'll definitely stay here again next time I'll visit San Diego.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

We really had a great stay at the Hampton Inn - Kearny Mesa. My husband was staying there for business and we joined him for the last few days. Our room was clean & quiet, free parking, internet and breakfast in the morning were all included. We checked out and headed to Coronado to be closer to the beach, but the hotel we were staying at there was not very good so we checked out and returned to the Hampton Inn for our last night in town. It is a short drive from downtown (maybe 15 min), but totally worth it since we knew what we were getting -- a great spot @ a great deal. We will definitely go back.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
litetravler
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

The Hampton Inn at Kearny Mesa is a bit of a drive from downtown and the beaches, but well worth it. We stayed a week and had to extend our stay for family business--I ended up being there almost two weeks. The staff was friendly and the hotel nice and quiet, clean, decent breakfast items to last us until we found a late lunch around 1 or 2 each day.

The room had a fridge and good Internet connection. Free parking was appreciated; again, this is about four or file miles north of Hotel Circle. The hotel has laundry facilities, too - two washers and two dryers, which we needed due to the longer stay. It is near the Black Angus and Butcher Stop restaurants, if you want steak (we didn't) and the Souplantation (which is a cafeteria like Sweet Tomatoes in the Bay area).

I would recommend this to anyone and will stay again in the future. If I could change anything, it would be to add a hot tub by the pool. Our days were quite stressful, and it would have been nice to relax later each day. The second suggestion would be more and better television stations.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hampton Inn San Diego - Kearny Mesa? Share your experiences!