“cant beat the location and price” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Golden West

Golden West
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Diego
Golden West
You added Golden West to your Saves list
720 Fourth Ave., San Diego, CA 92101   |
Ranked #235 of 273 Hotels in San Diego
Phoenix az
“cant beat the location and price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2011

Down and dirty, not much but a good place to start, in the hear t of San Diego. Hilton Shertan , Merrriot 200 $ a night or more, give me 500$ a mount , Im just sleeping .

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Families
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

if your funds are low and you want to really stay within a reasonable budget then I would recommend this hotel. It is within walking distance to most everything in downtown San Diego.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
dayton, ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2009

As I entered through the front lobby, Golden West looked quaint and western. I checked-in and the prices were quite cheap! I located my "room" and I was shocked to see a tiny "jail cell" of a room, that the "birdman of Alcatraz" would have "beefed" about! A lonely sink, a vintage WWII bed, a horseblanket..and the aroma of "OLD GEEZER" drifted into my poor nostrils! I discovered, to my horror, that the toilets & shower were down the hall, in "open Bay" style. Roaches and bugs were all about, enjoying the room! The walls were paper thin! I had a magnificent view of a 90 year old WALL, out my small window. I looked down and I saw a very old man sleeping..yes..Naked as a jaybird..in his room, and I knew, I had found paradise-in reverse. The surrounding area was great! Horton Plaza, Gaslamp area, great food, and not far from the Convention Center! The folks that stayed at Golden West were low income, friendly and "down on their luck". A famous boxer, Joe Flores, used to stay there, i heard. It was Ok for a night or two. I wouldn't advise a stay there..sorry mates!

• Liked — it was cheap and close to bus, shopping and Convention Center.
  • Disliked — roaches, lack of private toilet/shower, tiny rooms and foul odors! other than that....(haha..)
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2008

The hotel has about 320 rooms. It is a single room occupancy hotel.
In San Diego, this means it serves as one step above living on the sidewalk.

Many residents of the Golden West are mental patients, ex-cons, other lost souls, who can't afford any place else. Most are on SSI, which covers their monthly RENT at the Golden West.--$500 per month, for a room that's about 12 ft. by 20 ft. at most.--no cooking facilities, no private toilet, lots of bugs, though.

The toilets are filthy, the rooms are home to other guests, besides humans. Bedbugs will eat you alive. The cockroaches are kind of fun to watch. They're really quite intelligent!

Get all of your shots before staying at the Golden West.

• Liked — The neighborhood surrounding the Golden West.
  • Disliked — Bedbugs and cockroaches every day and night in my room.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2006

I didn't actually stay at the Golden West. I visited a friend who lived there and brought him Thanksgiving dinner. The place is disgusting. The rooms are tiny, and there are cockroaches crawling on the walls. Good luck using the bathroom! It's communal. You have to share a shower with everyone who's on your floor. The manager requested my I.D. because I was a visitor, and my friend managed to get it back for me, but I was still up in the room. Well, the manager (or whoever was running the front desk) called the room and tried to tell me that he still had my I.D. (it was in my hand) and that if I didn't leave, we would both be kicked out of the hotel, with my friend being evicted! Upon entering and leaving the hotel, you will notice an overwhelming stench of cigarette smoke and will have to pass groups of people who give the place the feel of an old insane asylum. It figures that I would later find out what a scumbag my "friend" was...the hotel where he lived says it all. Just avoid this place at all costs. I couldn't imagine spending a night in this filth bucket.

• Stayed November 2002, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

Well, it was an experience I will not forget lightly. First off, the desk staff didn't seem to care that I even wanted to stay for several nights; almost as if they took it as a joke! After checking in, I noticed that the hotel must also be residential because they rent rooms at weekly and monthly rates. So, no big deal; until I experienced half a night's loud TV through paper-thin walls from my "neighbor." Be cautious using the bathroom, asking the patrons for directions (one older man was wandering around the hotel with what looked like magic marker on his face-the staff had to take him up to his room on a stretcher) and generally look out for yourself. Though it must be said that the location in downtown SD is great--near Horton Plaza, the Gaslamp, numerous restaurants, etc; I will definitely not be staying there again.

• Stayed June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2002

If you want to live among the homeless and the ones on welfare then you came to the right hotel. The customer service is just terrible and the manager will throw you out just so he can have a room to sell to the next person, and if he knows your from out of country, he will take your money and then call the police and have you escorted out of his hotel. He is a fraud and should not be in the position he is in at the hotel. Besides all this, if you stay at this hotel, your a bigger fool than the staff. Have a great day.