“Perfect For Business” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Cricklade, United Kingdom
“Perfect For Business”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

This is my 4th visit to The Embassy Suites on La Jolla Village Drive (and my first this year). The location is perfect for me when I visit my US office, as it's just 2 blocks away. Perfectly located directly across the street is the Westfield Mall (great for shopping for a gift for the wife).

The hotel itself is exactly what you would expect from a Hilton (HHonors) branded hotel. Friendly reception staff with a professional welcome. As a frequent guest, my check-in was quick, smooth and efficient. My preferred choice of room (high floor, close to elevator) was available and the room itself was as comfortable as I remember from my previous stays. All rooms are 2-bedroom suites, with ample space including a fridge to store the complimentary bottled water. The bathroom was exceptionally clean (which is always a welcome sight). The bed is very comfortable with more pillows and cushions than I have in my whole household at home!

The facilities are ideal for the business traveller. There's a small gym, a nice sized pool and even an outdoor hot tub. The bar/restaurant is always managed by friendly staff. Dan and Josh both remembered me from my previous visits and I enjoyed some US vs British banter with them over a refreshing ice cold pint of Stone IPA (my favourite). The food is very nice and the complimentary cooked breakfast gives you a great start to the day. They also do a 'Happy Hour' (Manager's Reception) in the afternoons with complimentary drinks, although I didn't take advantage of that on this visit.

I'm thinking of switching my room preferences as I could hear the elevators from my room, but this is not the fault of the hotel (I just need to remember to request a room away from the elevator next time).

Overall, I'd recommend this hotel to any friends and family, whether travelling on business or leisure. The local area is beautiful (if you have time to enjoy it), with Torrey Pines and La Jolla Cove just a few minutes away.

Room Tip: Request a room away form the elevators for a good night's sleep.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Tim B, General Manager at Embassy Suites San Diego - La Jolla, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Damo1976,

Fantastic to hear that once again we delivered a brilliant stay, from the guest services team to the suite keeping team, and not forgetting Dan and Josh. The Stone IPA is a good alternative when bitter is not available, I agree.

Your comments are truly appreciated as are you being our guest. We all look forward to the next opportunity to say "Welcome Back".

Tim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Southern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

Recently stayed here in June and found our experience at the ES to be pleasant. Check in was quick and the clerk was friendly and explained everything. Our corner suite was very spacious and even had a dinning table for six. No complaints about the room or staff. There is a small gym next to the pool and we made use out of it. The pool was nice, however there were just too many kids to do any type of swimming. There is a small outdoor jacuzzi, but that was overrun by kids as well. That didn't bother us as we expect this at most ES. The only negative I would have to say was that the breakfast was a zoo. There was hardly any seating and the lines were long. This might have been attributed to the fact that it was a weekend stay and the hotel was overrun with families. Other than that, I find the ES to be comparable or slightly above other ES that I have stayed at. Would definitely consider staying at this resort again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Tempdragon,

Thank you Thank you we very much appreciate your commentary on your recent experience here in San Diego-La Jolla at the Embassy Suites. The corner suite you reserved is lovely and spacious and with the additional seating area lends perfectly to a relaxing and enjoyable evening.

I am so delighted that your arrival was friendly and informative, I will pass this on to our guest services team, thank you.

The complimentary breakfast should certainly be smooth and allow each and every guest to enjoy a great start to the day and then visit the San Diego Zoo, not be a part of it. Our complimentary breakfast team work very hard to try and ensure all tables and chairs are available both inside and on our patios, during the summer months additional hot buffets are also offered to give our guests options.

Thank you for your valuable review as without these we cannot make a great hotel just that much better each and everyday.

Scotts Valley, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Wonderful hotel experience. Breakfast was delicious, specially the made to order eggs/omelets. We also enjoyed tasty margaritas during the evening reception. Perfect location: UTC mall right accross the street, beach in less then 10 minutes, zoo and downtown 20 minutes away. Staff were friendly too. Having the pool indoors, however was the only big negative.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Dear Roberto G,

Wonderful to hear that your stay was WONDERFUL, we truly appreciate your guests applauding our friendly team it means the world to us, thank you.

Delighted that you found the amenities of the hotel and location convenient and perfect. I too wish we had an indoor and outdoor pool but often is a welcome change if you have been to the beach in the sun all day.

Cheers and we look forward to the next opportunity to welcome you back.

San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

First of I have to say the reception staff were very pleasant and the concierge Luanne was patient and willing to offer ideas for places that would be worth our while to see. The hotel staff were courteous overall. The breakfast is fantastic - great variety. The manager's reception could offer a better selection of snacks. The cocktail selection was very good. The hotel is opposite a lovely mall which has upscale shops and plenty of places to eat. Close to the freeway exits and to UCSD. Hotel is 15 min drive from La Jolla beach. Not far from Sea World and Old Town. The negatives - the rooms need to be upgraded, the coffee supplies and other things in the room need to be replenished daily. The pool is very small due to which it gets very crowded. Overall we had a good stay. Very family oriented hotel. If visiting Old Town visit Casa De Reyes. Good place to eat.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear RSun,

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel for your recent stay and delighted that your experience with the team here was cordial and memorable, specifically Luanne and the guest service team.

Our hotel continues to be current with the newly installed guest suite carpet, new soft furnishings are to arrive in 2015, public lobby space will be transformed by the end of the year coupled with new elevators and exterior colour.

I truly hope that we will again have the pleasure of seeing you in the near future.

Waldwick, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

I am a Hilton member and first stay at this property. Check-in was exceptionally long. Rooms are fine along with breakfast and location is close to local interstates. Had to pay for wifi as I am silver not gold level. Property is showing signs of age. Room was directly across from the elevator so a bit noisy but closed the bedroom door and it was OK.

Dear Seafarer4,

Thank you for being our guest and a loyal Hilton Honor member, I am terribly sorry for delivering Just OK as it is and will continue to be my responsibility to deliver as close to perfect as possible.

Our internet service is through StayConnected and alas have little control over the costs that are associated with this service, with the exception of Hhonor Gold and Diamond which are covered by the program. We are fortunate that a 100mbs upgrade will be complete this coming next month allowing us many more options and price points which will hopefully help future guest experience in this arena.

This coming September we will have a complete elevator re-modernization which will deliver a complete quiet operation.

Thank you again and I do hope that you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

As we are big on technology we were not pleased with having to pay for Internet in our rooms. However in lieu of that they did offer a business center which you had access to the Internet and printing services which was helpful. What was great about this hotel was the fact that there was a full hot and cold breakfast with also a made to order omelet station. They also had a managers reception from 5:30 to 7:30 where light snacks and alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks were served. You needed your room key to get an alcoholic drink but snacks were plentiful. They eating area was big and had indoor and outdoor seating. Plus TVs to watch if you feel so inclined. Pool was. Small and always busy. There was also an outdoor spa pool. The hotel itself was across from a shopping plaza and lots of restaurants and about 10 min from the beach and 15 min from Torrey Pines golf course. It was also right on three 5 hwy. which takes you into downtown San Diego, about a 15-20 min trip.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Tim B, General Manager at Embassy Suites San Diego - La Jolla, responded to this review, 5 weeks ago
Dear Melissa B (Top Contributor),

Thank you Thank you for being our guest and delighted that you found the hotel and it's amenities nice, we continue to strive for perfection and appreciate your commentary and suggestions.

As you mentioned internet is and continues to be a staple in staying away from home and we are delighted that we are extending our service up to 100mbs, and although there will still be a nominal charge we will now have the ability to offer more services at different price points.

We hope that we will have the pleasure to again welcome you back soon.

Norwich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

This is a good hotel. Very clean rooms. Helpful staff. Great breakfasts. Located close to a Mall with loads of restaurants and shops. Close to no. 30 bus which goes through La Jolla and down the coast all the way to the old town. Not cheap but there is a free bar to all from 5.30 to 7.30 every night. Swimming pool not used nut is fairly small. No massive outdoor areas which is a shame but then it caters for business although lots of families staying during my stay. Wifi is extra which is a pain. $12 for 24 hours but is fairly fast.

Room Tip: all rooms are the same but lower floors will be quicker to get to and down from.
Dear Davo1972,

Thank you so much for being our guest and delighted that you found the hotel and it's location convenient and comfortable. I was happy to hear that you were able to enjoy your evening complimentary reception as too I hope you experienced the complimentary made to order breakfast.

Great suggestion on your suite location being that it made it easier to get to all the amenities the hotel has to offer.

Cheers and looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Tim

Been to Embassy Suites San Diego - La Jolla? Share your experiences!