“Horrible Experience!!!” 1 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Henderson, United States
“Horrible Experience!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This hotel is a dirty, dusty, smelly mess right now. The rooms are expensive. Besides the actual rooms the entire hotel is under construction. They don't tell you that when you make your reservation. All it is right now is tarps and concrete. It smells like a sewer. Don't not stay at the Embassy Suites in downtown San Diego. Very disappointing weekend!!!!!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Hello folks, as many of you know that have read my reviews know, I do start off by saying that I am a Hilton Diamond Customer. This alone should let you know that I am a very good gauge of what a "Good" property should be like and what is completely unacceptable. I practically live in some sort of Hilton Branded property around the country on a daily basis. I make it a point to check out the properties as best I can ahead of time and generally phone the properties to ensure the property is in good order when I arrive.

I will have to say that is has been one of the most HORRIBLE Embassy Suites stays I have ever experienced in my time of travel around the country. While they have a incidental notation on their home page that that are undergoing a Quote "Face Lift", when you arrive, you arrive to Jackhammering, all the staff wearing Hardhats, and absolutely ZERO place to even sit down for any common areas. The only thing you can do is go directly from the Make Shift check in area to directly to your room as there is absolutely NO Place to even sit down in the any sort of Lobby Area. They have made very little preparations for preparing for this. It's quite obvious that little to know thought was taken into consideration when this MASSIVE Construction project was undertaken.

For me, its more a matter to the lethargic attitude of the staff and their inability to manage this absolute disaster. Frankly, If I could, the General Manager of this property would be fired if it were possible. I have tried for a full business day to have communication with the General Manager, which has refused to contact me.

The Breakfast area is a complete disaster, children running amuck, screaming, yelling and no one from the hotel taking any responsibility for the management of this situation. Further, they had one very nice Hispanic worker trying desperately to clean up the breakfast area, ALONE!! Every table was covered with dirty plates, cups, flat ware, etc. with only one worker trying to manage the situation. They were completely ineffective in keeping the necessary essential items available. When I entered the breakfast area, there was no coffee, no juices of any kind, Cereal covering the floor all over the place. I truly felt like the "Slums"

There are many lovely hotels in the Downtown San Diego area. I unfortunately chose the Embassy Suites, which was a HORRIBLE mistake. I would never stay at this property again, simply because of the attitude of the staff that seem to be taking no responsibility for their disastrous conditions here. It's really has a very, very seedy, unseemly feel to the place. And, frankly if any of you out there are contemplating staying here, you should try as quickly as possible to make other arrangements as soon as possible. If you do not, you will be most disappointed and will truly have a horrible stay.

Room Tip: Nothing about this hotel is good!!
Green Features: Not paying attention to those there are such horrible conditions here.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Johnson City, TN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I tend to like (or did) Hilton hotels. Maybe not now. This hotel is NOT up to Hilton standard. It is not worth the premium. It's central lobby is under construction (noise, smell). So breakfast is crammed into small suites upstairs. But that means long lines, long waits. If you plan to make appointments on time, forget it. Internet is slllooooowwww. And it still costs $10. So if you plan to work while there, forget it. And management and Hilton are unresponsive. But if you like poor service for top dollar, this is your place.

Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Mac G, Manager at Embassy Suites San Diego Bay - Downtown, responded to this review, yesterday
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review your experience. We appreciate your loyalty to Hilton and regret that you experienced inconveniences throughout your stay. I can assure you that we are up to Hilton standards as we go through our renovations. Our complimentary cooked to order breakfast and complimentary evening reception are popular among our guests as it is one of many items that makes our Embassy Suites such a great value. Dunkin Donuts is conveniently located on our property for those who chose a quick and easy breakfast option. I apologize you feel as though we are unresponsive, we do our best to respond to every review in a timely manner. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back after our renovation is complete in January 2015.
Irvine, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Before reserving in this hotel I red the note from the hotel that there is some construction which I though it will be small and contained but I was surprised when I checked in around midnight that almost all the grand floor is under construction and renovation. Giving my late check out, I did attempt to change the hotel specially that my family were with me and I have a meeting early morning. The second suprise is that there planned cut off of water daily from 11-3 am !!! imagine the situation for a family with 3 young kids without water except of small bottles. additionally, there is only valet parking which cost 39$.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
GeneralManager-ESD, General Manager at Embassy Suites San Diego Bay - Downtown, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Almazroua, thank you for mentioning and acknowledging that we do advise all guests at the time of reservation that we are undergoing a renovation. Despite the renovation we still have spacious two room suites, complimentary breakfast, and our evening reception. All of that is still in place. Please also know that we also disclose for our guests to review prior to staying with us. Our valet parking fees which are competitive in the downtown market. We certainly are not the most expensive. We do hope that you will return to see our new look.

Fresno, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The level of construction in this hotel is not acceptable to guests. My wife and I were given no notice of this major project. I have noticed the manager's responses to complaints and it is not good enough. When one has booked in advance for a hotel there is no good reason to revisit the website, so a banner on the website saying work is being done is not good enough. You should PROACTIVELY email all your pre booked guests that construction is happening so that your guests then have the choice to continue with the booking or cancel before it is too late to do so. It is disgraceful to surprise the guests in this way. I booked this room because I had meetings set up during the day which was embarrassing to my clients. Had to meet and pay for lunch meetings outside of the hotel . I've had enough of the Hilton Honors program

Room Tip: Wasn't offered as a Hilton Honors member and had to ask
Green Features: I feel sorry for the employees that are hearing all of the complaints in which they had no control over. I didn't meet one happy guest
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
GeneralManager-ESD, General Manager at Embassy Suites San Diego Bay - Downtown, responded to this review, 1 week ago
FranklinsFresno, I appreciate your feedback and regret that that our upgrades disrupted your stay. To reiterate the hotel’s stance on notifying our guests we do so in advance on the website, our confirmation, and our pre-arrival email. If you did not receive these I will certainly review our processes again. We do value your business as a HH guest and certainly hope you will return to see the new look of our hotel as I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised!

Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My review of this hotel would, I'm sure, be much better for a future stay. I would not recommend staying here however due to substantial remodeling/construction going on at this time. First off, the staff was very courteous and helpful. I would give the staff an excellent rating, even while we had to shout at each other while checking in, over the sound of a jackhammer. The atrium is undergoing major reconstruction, and the noise was very loud. I would definitely check out this hotel once construction is completed. The breakfast buffet was very good. I would find somewhere else to stay right now though.

Room Tip: We had a bay front room, and the view was very nice.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
LandSMom thank you for mentioning our team members who are going the extra step for our guests during our renovation. The worst part of the lobby construction is behind us now. We look forward to having you back to enjoy our new look and our great location.

Carson, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is the 2nd time staying here and we loved it. The staff are all very professional and the hotel is beautiful. And what can I say about the view it is absolutely breathtaking. Can't wait to come back again.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Been to Embassy Suites San Diego Bay - Downtown? Share your experiences!