“location, location, location” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Ellicott City, Maryland
“location, location, location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

My friend and I stayed here for four nights to attend a conference being held at the convention center. Our organization had arranged for buses to run to/from the hotel but we found the 0.7 mile walk to be very manageable and enjoyable given the beautiful weather. The complimentary breakfast was very convenient and had a good variety of hot and cold items, juices and caffeine. The evening reception is nice as well with nice crudite, chips/dips and drinks.

The room was spacious with a nicely sized living room and bedroom. The bathroom showed some signs of age with dirty caulking and peeling paint. On our second evening, the air conditioner stopped working and we had to call for maintenance at 11 pm. I was a bit put off by the maintenance man who dismissed us and said it should be working since it was a new unit. 45 minutes later he emerged from the bathroom saying the compressor coils were just dirty and now the ac should be working.

By far, the best aspect of this hotel is it's location. It is across the street from the USS Midway and Seaport Villlage. There is a lovely open air shopping center across the street with several restaurants so that you don't have to eat at the hotel's restaurant. The Old Town Trolley can be picked up across the street and offers a great way to see the major sights of the city. Also, the ferry to Coronado Island is an easy walk from the hotel.

We rented a car for a day to tour the coast. Unfortunately, valet parking at the hotel cost more than the cost of the car rental. Overall though, the hotel was a good value given the location.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
GeneralManager-ESD, General Manager at Embassy Suites San Diego Bay - Downtown, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Owhatawonderfulworld, thank you for your review. I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay. All of our guests agree with you that our suites, free breakfast, and evening reception separate us from the rest. It is great that to hear you enjoyed the San Diego weather and walked to convention center and Seaport Village. I regret that you did have issues with your air conditioning and you felt that we did not have a sense of urgency. I will certainly follow-up. Finally, while we do have a charge for valet parking, we are not the most expensive in San Diego. We look forward to your return.

R.Kravitz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Parksville, Canada

This was my first time in San Diego. My travel agent recommend the Embassy
Suites San Diego Bay Downtown. The hotel is good. Get a room with a Bay
view. Rooms are very spacious. Has separate living room. Room comes with
microwave and mini-fridge. Complimentary breakfast served every morning.
Food is good. You can have cook-to-order breakfast. In the evening, there is
a Manager's reception. Found breakfast and the reception very good. Gift
shop and a 24 hour business centre located within.

PFC Bar & Grill located in the hotel. Hotel also has a Dunkin' Donuts and a
small deli outside in the back of the hotel. At the Headquarters which is
located across the hotel, there is a Starbucks and The Cheesecake Factory.

It is about a 15-20 minute walk to the Gaslamp Quarter district. Or you can
hop on the trolley at Seaport Village Station. Trolley is behind the hotel.
Get a DayPass which costs $7.00 US. Loads of shops in the Gaslamp Quarter
district. You can also take the trolley to the Las Americas Premium Outlet.
It is a 40 minute ride one way. Take the trolley behind the hotel (Seaport
Village Station) and change at the 12th & Imperial Transfer Station.

There is an shuttle service from the airport to downtown hotels. Super
Shuttle charges $8.00 US. Takes about 10-15 minute to get to
Embassy Suites San Diego Bay Downtown. If your interested in a taxi
service, it will cost about $ 12.00 US - $15.00 US.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the Bay.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Ridgecrest, CA, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Overall experience was great, hotel beautiful, room very nice, but living 250 mi. from hotel did not look my vehicle over before we left. Found a scratch on the driver's door when I stopped to get gas. Valet held door open when they delivered my truck.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Diane S, thank you for your review. I am glad that overall that you enjoyed your stay. If you did have issues with our valet please feel free to reach out to me at rob.kravitz@hilton.com. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Temecula, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Entire experience was perfect! the Evening Social Mixer was fun and relaxing...Location was extremely convenient to everything we wanted to venture out for. Located very near Seaport Village, Horton Plaza and many other nightlife interests.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Pamela T, I am glad that we were part of your birthday celebration and that everyone enjoyed. Embassy Suites San Diego Bay is the perfect destination for special occasions. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Come back soon.

R.Kravitz
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

There is much to be pleased about with this hotel. The location, across the road from the day, is excellent for walks and it is not far from the Gaslamp Quarter. The rooms themselves were comfortable with a separate sitting room and bedroom. The children slept in the sitting room on a pull out bed which they loved. We did have some issues with the room in that our door had issues and we were locked out for a time. The staff responded really well to this problem and, in fact, they were very friendly and cooperative throughout.
Although the finishes in the hotel look a bit dated there are some great features overall. I always enjoy having laundry facilities and the ones here were good. There is a good swimming pool, although the staff struggled to maintain the supply of towels in the pool area. Perhaps the best features are the free breakfast and the happy hour. I certainly enjoyed having the wine and beer on tap. A handy tip for breakfast is to get into the line where they cook the breakfast for you as you can get everything you can get in the self service line and it tends to be shorter.

Room Tip: Get a room looking towards the bay.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
WF 1756, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you made the most of our location. It certainly is convenient to get to many of the attractions in downtown San Diego. Our pool is a popular amenity and we stay on top of it throughout the day. It is good to hear that our team responded quickly to your needs. Please come back soon.

Crofton, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel is very attractive, with Koi ponds in the breakfast/reception area and granite counters in the bathroom and bedroom. It is very well located, not far from the convention center and gaslight district and also close to Little Italy, where we have family. The pool is nice and they have a lovely place for the hot tub -- outdoors but shielded from street-view by a wall and with nice plantings. Our room had a great view of the bay and of an upscale shopping center with Spanish architecture and restaurants like Cheesecake Factory and Season 52. I had a little problem at check-in, as it was a trainee who checked us in and I had neglected to print out my reservation confirmation with the price I was supposed to pay. In addition, we were not told that AARP had arranged for us to have free WIFI included, so we were paying $15 a day to get WIFI (which is important to my husband). So I was paying a lot more than I had thought I would be, but, as we told ourselves, it was still not a bad deal for the quality, To my very pleasant surprise, when I mentioned this to Estela on checkout, she refunded the extra we had paid for WIFI. I had not really been expecting her to do this, so I appreciate her great attitude.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Happytrails 410 thanks for your review. It is great to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay. I myself was a trainee at the front desk at the beginning of my career. Just be glad that you never had to deal with the mistakes that I made! In all seriousness, I will certainly follow-up on your comments. I am glad that our location and amenities made up for everything and everything was resolved. We hope to welcome you back soon.

St Petersburg, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The Good News: The hotel staff are perfect. The hotel perks are perfect. The hotel location is perfect. The hotel cleaning crew is perfect. The Bad News: The lobby/dining area/room/corridor décor is outdated and appears dirty...but with a little remodeling this hotel would be perfect!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

GeneralManager-ESD, General Manager at Embassy Suites San Diego Bay - Downtown, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Richard C, thank you for your review. I assure you that all of our public areas are clean. We take cleanliness very seriously. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and all of the amenities that make Embassy Suites better than the rest. We look forward to your return. We will be perfect!

R. Kravitz

Been to Embassy Suites San Diego Bay - Downtown? Share your experiences!