“A hideous stay in beautiful Pacific Beach” 1 of 5 stars

Diamond Head Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   605 Diamond St, San Diego, CA 92109 (Pacific Beach)   |
Ranked #179 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
San Francisco
“A hideous stay in beautiful Pacific Beach”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

I was greeted at the Diamond Head Inn by a surly woman who refused to check me in even though the room was ready. Our reservations were totally messed up with wrong dates and wrong room choices in their system. She said she couldn't help me and sent me up the street because their computer systems didn't communicate with the other properties run by this company. We would have to switch rooms twice during a 5 day stay. Finally we were placed in a room right next to the parking lot. I mean cars parked right at our door. This room use to be the office but was converted to a guest room. It smelled terrible and the kitchen area was sticky dirty.
On the second day after we returned to our room in the afternoon we were greeted with a horrendous sight. Hundreds of termites had invaded the kitchen and living room areas. They were everywhere. I went to the office and was told there was nothing they could do because all the rooms at all 3 properties were sold out. When I inquired what we were supposed to do i was told, " I don't know", nothing can be done now. They couldn't reach the manager.
The maintenance guys came in to investigate and had a good laugh about it. They actually told us you get what you pay for. I was shocked to say the least.
Finally we were sent again to another of the properties up the street. They were able to find us room and said, they did in fact have rooms available. We got a decent room and the next day they moved us again to another room.
I had a discussion with the manager and told him I refused to pay for the nights booked. He agreed to that and also gave us a discount on the remaining nights. However a few weeks later when I got my AMEX statement there were the charges for the room at the Diamond Head Inn including a night we didn't even stay there.
Management insisted I was wrong and refused to do anything. Fortunately AMEX removed the charges from my bill and told me the manager has never responded to their requests to resolve the issue.
A truly terrible experience in beautiful San Diego. We do have video of the termite infestation. We also noticed the infested room was rented the very next day. Stay away from this dump and the surly unfriendly people who work there.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
jimsilver, General Manager at Diamond Head Inn, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Thank you for your review of our properties! I agree you did have some issues, but I think I really helped make your situation very nice by the second night. I'm truly sorry if you feel that our solution was not good, but your interests were the only motivation we had in making the decisions we did. When I talked with you, you seemed happy with the outcome, but I am sorry you are not now. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Citrus Heights, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at the Diamond Head Inn for three nights. I found the cute, beachy decor absolutely charming. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was clean and the kitchen was convenient.

Walking to the beach to watch the surfers and the sunsets was wonderful. I also liked opening the windows and listening to the ocean at night.

Additional surprises (sometimes the little things mean a lot): The towels were fabulous, the hair dryer was powerful and the lights in the kitchen and bathroom were motion activated so I never had to scramble to find a light switch in the dark. The morning coffee was also surprisingly good.

As a single female traveler, I felt totally comfortable at the hotel.

Can't wait to return!

• Stayed January 2014
And, we can't wait for your return as well! Thank you for the really nice comments, and for pointing out the little things that mattered to you!
Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

The Diamond Head Inn is about two things: 1- Value; and 2- Location. The rooms are dated and the carpets aren't very clean. However, this location is right on the beach, there is a full kitchen, and the price is right. If you are comfortable foregoing all of the amenities of more expensive hotels and simply want a good value right on the beach, then this place is perfect. If you want a modern hotel with amenities, this is not the place for you. With that said, we spent 5 nights here in July 2013. We have twin 6 year olds who wanted to be on the beach and seeing local attractions like Sea-World which nearby. So, we didn't need a pool and all the extras. We needed a place where we could walk to a from the beach.....and when our kids were exhausted at the end of the day, we could walk 50 yards from the beach to our room and sleep. For lunch, we could run to the room and make sandwiches or grab something for the kids and then be right back at the beach. We needed value, location, and a place with a kitchen. This location met all of our needs. You won't get a better value this close to the beach.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
jimsilver, General Manager at Diamond Head Inn, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Thank you for your comments! We are doing some updates on the rooms like flooring, seating, window treatments, and a new brighter paint scheme. Yes, the location is really perfect! Unfortunately, you didn't know about the swimming pool we share with one of our sister properties. I hope you will stay with us again!
San Bernardino, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We just stayed one night on a spur of the moment trip to San Diego. Looked online for a hotel while sitting in one of the many nearby bars and this one fit our price range. I had not read any reviews before hand so I had no expectations, good or bad. The receptionist was very nice. We were very nicely surprised opening our door to find a large room, small desk/chair with a kitchenette and dining table/booth in a smaller room off to one side and the bathroom off to the other side. We had 2 queen beds in our room, no sofa. The beds were not so bad, but the pillows were a little flat. We only needed one bed, but this was all that was left. No problem for us though. We did not use the kitchen as we were out late for the night and didn't know it was going to be there anyways. But we did look through the cabinets and saw a coffee pot, dishes, silverware and pans to use. We did not use the ceiling fan or need A/C (as I later read there was no A/C anyways) The room had a wall heater that we did use. Lots of space to hang clothes for a longer stay. Small flat screen TV on the dresser, would have loved a bigger TV because we love watching sports and late night shows. We were surprised at how close the beach was. A few steps out of our room and down the stairs to the sand. Parking is definitely a problem, somehow we managed to get a spot, we got there around 6. I would not have wanted to drive anywhere for fear of losing my spot. However, with that being said there is a lot nearby that you don't need to drive if you have no real plans, as we did not. Lots of bars and restaurants within walking distance. Also within walking distance, a liquor store, grocery store and CVS/Walgreens (can't remember which one). Woke up the next morning and went for a nice walk on the boardwalk. We were very impressed with the area and close proximity of things to walk to that we decided to book another visit for Memorial weekend as we were leaving. I'm hoping to call and request one of the ocean view/balcony rooms. I did remember only seeing 2 balconies facing the ocean. For us this has been a great find. We like spending less for a room and having more money to spend on going places and things to do. If you need a place to spend a night or few, the beach right outside your room, and many places to hang out nearby, then you can't go wrong here.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you! I hope you have already booked your stay with us with the balconies confirmed. Memorial Day is an extremely busy time for us and the beach. It may be a good idea to plan on parking at our sister property about a three minute walk away, as beach parking will be very tough during that time period. Yes, we do have some amenities you may not expect to find in a smaller property. Every room has a flat screen tv, and a kitchen, except for one room. And, that room still had a kitchenette. Thank you, again! And, please remember to verify your reservation!
Fayetteville, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Stayed11/20/13 to 11/24/13. Room wasn't perfect, but nothing we couldn't live with, a little dated. For the price it was great. Everything you could want is in walking distance. I would book again if we return to San Diego area.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you!! We do hope you'll stay with us again.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Our experience at this hotel is a good example of what Tripadvisor does for users. This hotel was not ranked terribly high in comparison to other hotels on Pacific Beach in San Diego, but it had two things we really wanted: a two-room suite and a location on the beach. We then looked at the reviews to see if we could tolerate other peoples' concerns. The two big ones are a poor breakfast (although our son really like the muffins) and parking that requires a two block walk. We decided we could and we ended up finding some great breakfast places as a result. You can also walk to the parking along the beach, so it adds to the ambiance. Our third concern was the condition of the rooms. We liked that the general manager was responding to the concerns and was providing updates on renovation. This caused me to call the hotel two weeks before the stay and request a renovated room. I was told all of the rooms had been renovated. I said it didn't look that way from Tripadvisor. She assured me they were all renovated. When we checked in the woman told us she saw the note that we requested a renovated room and the room we were getting was "partially" renovated, but it was the largest room and would best accommodate our family. So, the room was not renovated. Perhaps the "partial" was new beds, because the beds were quite nice, but the carpet was stained and the furniture dirty. For us this wasn't a huge problem, but the sofa bed (the primary reason for wanting a two-room suite) was completely unusable. The mattress looked like and egg carton. You could see all the springs. There was no way it could be slept on. The second day we went and asked for a renovated room. The woman at the desk was very nice. She offered us the key to look at another room, but the sofa bed was no better there. This room didn't ruin our trip and we were prepared for some of these problems because of Tripadvisor, but the hotel should be honest about the renovations. This was not a renovated room. We may have stayed anyway, but our expectations would have been appropriate.

Room Tip: There are only four rooms with full beach views. Get one if you can. If they tell you the room has...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
I do apologize for the confusion. Mostly on our part. We were expecting the renovation to be completed before a certain date, and we are still working on a few of the rooms. With the season, holidays, and busy weeks, it has been a challenge to complete this project. We do hope you will come back again though!
Tucson
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We have been going to SD for 35 yrs and have never stayed here. The rooms are ok but the location makes up for the rooms. There are 2 rooms that have balconys facing the ocean. The office said you need to request those rooms far in advance. We brought our bikes and only took out the car one time in 3 days. Lots of places to walk or bike to eat. The beach is out side your door. The staff was very nice and helpful. I expected the sheets and towels to not be very good quality, but I was wrong they where fine. I did bring my own comforter. Very quiet, I am sure can get loud in summer. We went in Oct 2013. weather was mid 70's. It was a perfect stay. As long as you are not expecting a 5 star hotel it is great! We hope to get a rooom with a balcony in Feb. Far enough from Mission beach but close enough. No blenders in rooms. No a/c ok for this time of year could be a problem in July?? We will go back.

Room Tip: Get a room closest to ocean. Keep in mind no a/c but have good ceiling fans.There is a grocery store...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
We may look a little dated from what the rooms looks like, but we use really nice quality bedding, towels, and mattresses. And, we are in the process of making the rooms look nicer by replacing the flooring, seating, and brightening up the rooms. We hope you will return!

Been to Diamond Head Inn? Share your experiences!