“Enjoyed our stay, re-booked another weekend already” 4 of 5 stars

Diamond Head Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   605 Diamond St, San Diego, CA 92109 (Pacific Beach)   |
Ranked #177 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
San Bernardino, California
“Enjoyed our stay, re-booked another weekend already”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We just stayed one night on a spur of the moment trip to San Diego. Looked online for a hotel while sitting in one of the many nearby bars and this one fit our price range. I had not read any reviews before hand so I had no expectations, good or bad. The receptionist was very nice. We were very nicely surprised opening our door to find a large room, small desk/chair with a kitchenette and dining table/booth in a smaller room off to one side and the bathroom off to the other side. We had 2 queen beds in our room, no sofa. The beds were not so bad, but the pillows were a little flat. We only needed one bed, but this was all that was left. No problem for us though. We did not use the kitchen as we were out late for the night and didn't know it was going to be there anyways. But we did look through the cabinets and saw a coffee pot, dishes, silverware and pans to use. We did not use the ceiling fan or need A/C (as I later read there was no A/C anyways) The room had a wall heater that we did use. Lots of space to hang clothes for a longer stay. Small flat screen TV on the dresser, would have loved a bigger TV because we love watching sports and late night shows. We were surprised at how close the beach was. A few steps out of our room and down the stairs to the sand. Parking is definitely a problem, somehow we managed to get a spot, we got there around 6. I would not have wanted to drive anywhere for fear of losing my spot. However, with that being said there is a lot nearby that you don't need to drive if you have no real plans, as we did not. Lots of bars and restaurants within walking distance. Also within walking distance, a liquor store, grocery store and CVS/Walgreens (can't remember which one). Woke up the next morning and went for a nice walk on the boardwalk. We were very impressed with the area and close proximity of things to walk to that we decided to book another visit for Memorial weekend as we were leaving. I'm hoping to call and request one of the ocean view/balcony rooms. I did remember only seeing 2 balconies facing the ocean. For us this has been a great find. We like spending less for a room and having more money to spend on going places and things to do. If you need a place to spend a night or few, the beach right outside your room, and many places to hang out nearby, then you can't go wrong here.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
jimsilver, General Manager at Diamond Head Inn, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Thank you! I hope you have already booked your stay with us with the balconies confirmed. Memorial Day is an extremely busy time for us and the beach. It may be a good idea to plan on parking at our sister property about a three minute walk away, as beach parking will be very tough during that time period. Yes, we do have some amenities you may not expect to find in a smaller property. Every room has a flat screen tv, and a kitchen, except for one room. And, that room still had a kitchenette. Thank you, again! And, please remember to verify your reservation!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Fayetteville, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Stayed11/20/13 to 11/24/13. Room wasn't perfect, but nothing we couldn't live with, a little dated. For the price it was great. Everything you could want is in walking distance. I would book again if we return to San Diego area.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you!! We do hope you'll stay with us again.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Our experience at this hotel is a good example of what Tripadvisor does for users. This hotel was not ranked terribly high in comparison to other hotels on Pacific Beach in San Diego, but it had two things we really wanted: a two-room suite and a location on the beach. We then looked at the reviews to see if we could tolerate other peoples' concerns. The two big ones are a poor breakfast (although our son really like the muffins) and parking that requires a two block walk. We decided we could and we ended up finding some great breakfast places as a result. You can also walk to the parking along the beach, so it adds to the ambiance. Our third concern was the condition of the rooms. We liked that the general manager was responding to the concerns and was providing updates on renovation. This caused me to call the hotel two weeks before the stay and request a renovated room. I was told all of the rooms had been renovated. I said it didn't look that way from Tripadvisor. She assured me they were all renovated. When we checked in the woman told us she saw the note that we requested a renovated room and the room we were getting was "partially" renovated, but it was the largest room and would best accommodate our family. So, the room was not renovated. Perhaps the "partial" was new beds, because the beds were quite nice, but the carpet was stained and the furniture dirty. For us this wasn't a huge problem, but the sofa bed (the primary reason for wanting a two-room suite) was completely unusable. The mattress looked like and egg carton. You could see all the springs. There was no way it could be slept on. The second day we went and asked for a renovated room. The woman at the desk was very nice. She offered us the key to look at another room, but the sofa bed was no better there. This room didn't ruin our trip and we were prepared for some of these problems because of Tripadvisor, but the hotel should be honest about the renovations. This was not a renovated room. We may have stayed anyway, but our expectations would have been appropriate.

Room Tip: There are only four rooms with full beach views. Get one if you can. If they tell you the room has...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
I do apologize for the confusion. Mostly on our part. We were expecting the renovation to be completed before a certain date, and we are still working on a few of the rooms. With the season, holidays, and busy weeks, it has been a challenge to complete this project. We do hope you will come back again though!
Tucson
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We have been going to SD for 35 yrs and have never stayed here. The rooms are ok but the location makes up for the rooms. There are 2 rooms that have balconys facing the ocean. The office said you need to request those rooms far in advance. We brought our bikes and only took out the car one time in 3 days. Lots of places to walk or bike to eat. The beach is out side your door. The staff was very nice and helpful. I expected the sheets and towels to not be very good quality, but I was wrong they where fine. I did bring my own comforter. Very quiet, I am sure can get loud in summer. We went in Oct 2013. weather was mid 70's. It was a perfect stay. As long as you are not expecting a 5 star hotel it is great! We hope to get a rooom with a balcony in Feb. Far enough from Mission beach but close enough. No blenders in rooms. No a/c ok for this time of year could be a problem in July?? We will go back.

Room Tip: Get a room closest to ocean. Keep in mind no a/c but have good ceiling fans.There is a grocery store...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
We may look a little dated from what the rooms looks like, but we use really nice quality bedding, towels, and mattresses. And, we are in the process of making the rooms look nicer by replacing the flooring, seating, and brightening up the rooms. We hope you will return!
Bailey, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I stayed here a few years ago with my daughter and loved my stay. Excellent location, fantastic pricing, so perfect I've book my next trip this November with my husband. The hotel pictures look even better now. I can't hardly wait!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Yes, thank you! We are still progressing with our renovation, but will completed hopefully soon!
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

No A/C. Can be a bit noisy on a Friday night. Breakfast is just coffee and sweet roll. But full kitchen. Only 2 rooms with balcony and ocean front (201, 202). Must call to book. We had 208 and had view of ocean and sunset from LR and Kitchen. Steps from the boardwalk and beach on dead end street. Furniture is dated, but flat screen tvs. Fans in all rooms. Price can't be beat. Walking distance to everything. I will return. Great August getaway.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
jimsilver, General Manager at Diamond Head Inn, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
We are working on the "dated" areas of the property. We are in the process of changing out flooring, the kitchen seating, as well as replacing all of the sofa sleepers, and repainting all of the rooms. There will be a very noticeable difference when we are finished with these upgrades. We do not advertise the sunset from #208, but I'm really happy you were able to enjoy it! I've seen thousands of sunsets from the Diamond Street area, and they are all just as amazing!
El Cajon, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My friend and I stay at this hotel several times a year because it is located in the heart of San Diego's beach experience. The hotel is directly on the beach so we walk right from the boardwalk onto the sand. We wake up in the room to coffee, open the curtains and view the water. We can enjoy the bike riding on the boardwalk, the variety of restaurants, and even rent our boogie boards to body surfing. We can then go back to the room for an afternoon nap to recharge for the evening. We don't have to rent a car. Everything is at our fingertips and our feet. We even grocery shop to have a few things in the room so to save a little money by using the kitchenette. If I want a better tan, while my friend naps, off I go right out the door laying on the sand, and I'm back before she wakes up. In the evenings we can walk from our hotel room, once again, straight onto the beach to stroll up and down the beach, in the water, and then to watch the gorgeous sunsets. We use this place to recharge ourselves and enjoy the best that San Diego has to offer. The rates are great. The staff is friendly and extremely helpful. I recommend this place to anyone wondering where to stay in San Diego on the beach at an affordable rate and experience all San Diego's beaches has to offer!

Room Tip: Any room works great as you are right on the beach!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your very nice review. It sounds like you know how to take advantage of the area and the property. I think, once you know how the area is and what to expect in the room, like the kitchen, you can easily save money on food. And, there is not too much of a need for a car while staying with us, that is, if you plan on staying around the area to enjoy the beach and the local scene. I truly appreciate your comments, and I hope you will return again soon.

Been to Diamond Head Inn? Share your experiences!