“Awesome place!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #170 of 270 hotels in San Diego
Bailey, Colorado, United States
“Awesome place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I stayed here a few years ago with my daughter and loved my stay. Excellent location, fantastic pricing, so perfect I've book my next trip this November with my husband. The hotel pictures look even better now. I can't hardly wait!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
jimsilver, General Manager at Diamond Head Inn, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Yes, thank you! We are still progressing with our renovation, but will completed hopefully soon!

126 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

No A/C. Can be a bit noisy on a Friday night. Breakfast is just coffee and sweet roll. But full kitchen. Only 2 rooms with balcony and ocean front (201, 202). Must call to book. We had 208 and had view of ocean and sunset from LR and Kitchen. Steps from the boardwalk and beach on dead end street. Furniture is dated, but flat screen tvs. Fans in all rooms. Price can't be beat. Walking distance to everything. I will return. Great August getaway.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
jimsilver, General Manager at Diamond Head Inn, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
We are working on the "dated" areas of the property. We are in the process of changing out flooring, the kitchen seating, as well as replacing all of the sofa sleepers, and repainting all of the rooms. There will be a very noticeable difference when we are finished with these upgrades. We do not advertise the sunset from #208, but I'm really happy you were able to enjoy it! I've seen thousands of sunsets from the Diamond Street area, and they are all just as amazing!
El Cajon, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My friend and I stay at this hotel several times a year because it is located in the heart of San Diego's beach experience. The hotel is directly on the beach so we walk right from the boardwalk onto the sand. We wake up in the room to coffee, open the curtains and view the water. We can enjoy the bike riding on the boardwalk, the variety of restaurants, and even rent our boogie boards to body surfing. We can then go back to the room for an afternoon nap to recharge for the evening. We don't have to rent a car. Everything is at our fingertips and our feet. We even grocery shop to have a few things in the room so to save a little money by using the kitchenette. If I want a better tan, while my friend naps, off I go right out the door laying on the sand, and I'm back before she wakes up. In the evenings we can walk from our hotel room, once again, straight onto the beach to stroll up and down the beach, in the water, and then to watch the gorgeous sunsets. We use this place to recharge ourselves and enjoy the best that San Diego has to offer. The rates are great. The staff is friendly and extremely helpful. I recommend this place to anyone wondering where to stay in San Diego on the beach at an affordable rate and experience all San Diego's beaches has to offer!

Room Tip: Any room works great as you are right on the beach!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your very nice review. It sounds like you know how to take advantage of the area and the property. I think, once you know how the area is and what to expect in the room, like the kitchen, you can easily save money on food. And, there is not too much of a need for a car while staying with us, that is, if you plan on staying around the area to enjoy the beach and the local scene. I truly appreciate your comments, and I hope you will return again soon.
Newport Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

My husband and I were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary over the weekend. We had reservations at the Surfer Beach Hotel. When we arrived for check in they tried to screw us with room rate, room location and the front staff was rude. We requested our money back and left on adventure to find a hotel to stay at. We came across a cute hotel called the Diamond Head Inn just a few blocks down. It sits on the water, and no noise from the boardwalk traffic. We spoke to Dalila Garcia who was running the front desk and she was very accommodating. She not only had a room for us but it was right on the water!! How perfect could it be for our 25th wedding anniversary. By the way folks, we saved 300.00 by staying at the Diamond Head Inn. Your discounted if you are a AAA member. What a great way to wrap up our weekend. Thank you Dalila!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for either room 101 or 102. They are on the bottom floor but your bedroom door opens up to the b...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
jimsilver, General Manager at Diamond Head Inn, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
This is great for two reasons. But first, congratulations on your 25TH wedding anniversary!! I am pleased that you really enjoyed your stay while saving a great deal of money, and happy that Dalila, a brand new guest service agent, was able to make it happen for you! Thank you!!
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Arrived early, hoping for an early checkin. Despite being told it would be ready about noon, the room was not ready until after 3, and likely only because I insisted. I realize we were asking for more than what our reservation stated, but the front desk told me it would be ready about noon, so we planned our day around that. If they had simply said it wouldn't be ready til 3, would have planned differently. I think the front desk could have handled that much better. And at 3, when I was completely insistent that the room be ready, I was brushed off.

Aside from that, our experience was 4 star. We had a bedroom, living room, kitchenette and bathroom. All were clean and in decent shape. Furniture was a bit used, but not in horrible shape. I saw from previous reviews there was no a/c which was not an issue, and the fans were more than adequate. The lighting in the hallways and street did make for a bit too much light, but nothing too dramatic. Location was excellent.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you staying with us! We are happy that you took your time to write a review of your stay. We are currently in the process of improving the furniture and the chairs, including the sofa sleepers. We hope you will come back and stay with us again. Regarding the late check in. That is very disappointing to me, and it is quite possible that it could not have been accomplished like we would like. It is very important for me to have the guest service agents do everything they can to make your check-in, early or not, very simple and fast. I hope we will do a better job the next time.
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We were supposed to say more than one night, but ended up checking out after one night. We arrived late because we were coming out of state. There was no one in the main office and we ended up having to drive to another hotel just to get checked in. Also, the room did not look like the picture. The light outside the alley door did not work. It took several times for the toilet to flush correctly. The large window in the bathroom and the glass front door made us feel very unsafe. The air conditioning in the room did not cool us down after a hot day outside. We were going to try and stick it out for our whole trip there but felt that with what we had paid, we should have gotten a lot better so we went elsewhere.

Room Tip: Get a room upstairs to be safer.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
jimsilver, General Manager at Diamond Head Inn, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your stay with us. We, of course, are not happy that your stay was not what you expected. Not knowing who you are, I do believe I talked with you a couple of days ago. Unfortunately, there is no a/c on this property, and we have ceiling fans for that purpose. I know that it can still be hot during a few of our unseasonably warm days. also, being that we are a very small property, we do close our office at 11:00 p.m. with access to rooms, and keys at our sister property. Again, we are sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us.
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

My first time staying at this hotel and a absolutely wonderful experience. We stayed in a one bedroom with kitchenette. It appeared to have been a recent remodel or well kept up! Steps from the beach made it easy to get around. There is parking in front of the hotel and at their sister location that was easily accessible. Will definitely keep this one as a place to stay in San Diego!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you!! If you are a guest that does not mind walking a block or two to park, especially in the summer, you will usually enjoy your stay with us. We are currently working on improvements on flooring, the furniture, and the kitchen seating. We have identified these areas a being our most important areas of improvement. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us and we do hope you will come again!

Been to Diamond Head Inn? Share your experiences!