“Don't do it... Go anywhere else...” 1 of 5 stars

Diamond Head Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   605 Diamond St, San Diego, CA 92109 (Pacific Beach)   |
Ranked #176 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Vancouver
“Don't do it... Go anywhere else...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

The positive: very friendly, helpful hotel staff.

The negative: literally everything else about this motel!! Its old, it needs fixing from top to bottom, no air conditioning, the kitchenette is empty of cooking utensils, no parking, paper thin walls, lots of parties and loud noise all night long, doors don't close properly, toilet leaked, the bathroom fan sounded like it was dying, not enough towels for our group size, don't count on the breakfast, it literally has no services, and generally speaking absolutely nothing works... I would never go back!
(And I don't recommend you go either unless you are a surfer and want proximity to big autumn waves, that's all there is here).

You can stay at way nicer places for the same price per night. The kitchenette isn't worth it, its not even fully stocked and its the same mini fridge you would get in any standard room. Even the beach proximity isn't worth it (because there are so many other choices all along the beaches).

My suggestion: go stay at the Catamaran Inn, with powdery soft sand, beachfront, protected bay and water sports and restaurants right on the property.

Room Tip: My suggestion: go stay at the Catamaran Inn, with powdery soft sand, beachfront, protected bay and w...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
jimsilver, General Manager at Diamond Head Inn, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Well, I'm guessing that this was not your type of place to stay. We do have the basics stocked in every room's kitchen, and are willing to get just about anything else you may require or request for the kitchen. It's not unheard of us going out and purchasing items of special request. The property is located close to the beach and many other points of interest, and is usually priced on the lower or medium end. As for the condition of the rooms, we are planning on redoing the rooms this winter which should make them perfect for anyone who wants to visit Pacific Beach. Unfortunately, parking is very limited next to the property, but we do offer free parking at our other two places just one and two blocks away. Although, It does seem as if almost every guest can find a place for their vehicle along the street in front on Diamond Street.

I appreciate you staying with us and your comments as well. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Peoria, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My husband and I just got back from San Diego where we stayed for the 4th and last time and Diamond Head Inn. We liked this hotel only for it's proximity to the beach. Rooms are kind of old but adequate/no air conditioning but decently priced. I had called to make reservations specifically because in the past, we have had a couple problems booking rooms on line. When we got to the hotel, I had to sign their paperwork which I didn't think much of at the time but was not wearing my glasses so I just signed their receipt assuming it was accurate (my fault). After 2 nights (we were staying 3) imagine my surprise when we got a call about us checking out. The staff did make a reservation for us at their "sister property" a couple of blocks away but other than that, they didn't care and offered no apologies for THEM making an error with the reservations. We were planning on making reservations for next summer while we were there but did not do it and will not give them our business in the future. Yes, it was my fault for not looking closely at the paperwork, but they just did not care. When I made the reservations, they would only give me a confirmation number and would not send me a confirmation email which I asked for.

Room Tip: They only have 2 rooms with a balcony that face the beach. We will be finding another hotel for all...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
jimsilver, General Manager at Diamond Head Inn, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Well, I'm sorry for the mixup with your reservations, but please know that we do take every reservation seriously. I am glad we had accommodations for you and your family at our new property located just one block north. And, I do hope that you will change your mind and decide to stay with us again next year. As you probably already know, I will would be happy to personally take care of your reservations. And, being a prior guest gives you an automatic discount with us at any of the three properties we have in the area. I do hope you will accept my apologies for what happened. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay.
Overland Park, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at Diamond Head Inn on numerous occassions. This, unfortunately, will be my last. Yes, its a great location but its tired and the ownership has stopped investing in it. Probably the most evidence of this is the carpet. It was full of stains and is past the point where it can be cleaned. Management should check out room #103, take a look at the carpet and then explain why those stains are there. Either it hasn't been cleaned recently or it simply is past the point where it can be and simply needs to replaced. At the same time, you should check out the the fabric on the desk chair, it too has a big stain. I have read each of the other comments and have seen some of the same comments about the carpet stains. Clearly there's a problem here and clearly, its not being addressed. This used to be good value. Certainly, there's nothing like walking out your door and feeling the ocean breeze. This place will cater to those less discriminating, but at this point, I'm going to look elsewhere for a clean updated room.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
jimsilver, General Manager at Diamond Head Inn, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
This is really unfortunate, and we are planning on changing out a few of the carpets. It was only two years ago that we recarpeted every room. There seem to be stains in a few rooms that keep on returning even after we clean. I apologize for that, and hope that you will come back again the next time you are in San Diego.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

This place was disappointing, only in customer service. When me and my boyfriend arrived a man checked us in. He was very unapproachable to begin with. Cold, unfriendly and very transactional in dealing with me being there to check in. There was a piece of paper with all check ins on his desk and when he asked for my name and had a puzzled look on his face the first time i spoke, i simply tried to show him my name and he rudely turned the paper over as though i was some kind of criminal trying to get information or something.. when i was trying to help! Im not very picky... the place itself was really nice and in a very good location... but i felt really uncomfortable when checking in after the way he treated me when all i was doing was trying to help.. I get he wanted to protect peoples privacy but he didn't have to snatch it and besides the whole check in the man hardly said two words which was un inviting!
the breakfast is NOT breakfast. so don't rely on that! It is juice and a mini muffin.

but like i said the room was really huge and clean, comfy bed and in a fantastic location so despite the bad customer service when checking in, once your in the room its great so up to you really!

And on top of that its one of the cheaper places to stay in an expensive area which helps..

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
jimsilver, General Manager at Diamond Head Inn, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
I'm certainly very sorry for the situation you went through upon check in. Being that we only have 21 rooms should make this a very easy and pleasant part of your stay. Again, I do apologize for the way you were treated and we are always striving for excellent customer service. I hope you will contact us again the next time you decide to visit from Australia. Thank you for your comments.
Tucson, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Not like the pictures... Buyers BEWARE! I was so dissapointed with our stay. Service was incompetent, rude and offensive (using the word "retarded" several times as an adjetive for her slow computer). Upon arival it was hard to tell if our room had even been cleaned. There were huge stains on the carpet and furniture. Our plumbing was out within minutes. We lost power to our room (8pm) due to the use of the hotel blow dryer- and the front desk was unsure they would be able to fix it until the morning. The other members of my party were locked out and unable to recieve keys even though they were listed as guests of the property. Good thing the window screens popped right off for them to easily gain access. Right around 7 am houskeeping was slamming doors and shouting to one another. Since there is no AC unit and the windows have to be left open... Don't plan on getting a wink of sleep. Only up side... "location, location, location," as put by another disgruntled traveler checking out early. We also left two days early.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
jimsilver, General Manager at Diamond Head Inn, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
It sounds like we owe you an apology for many reasons. However, the pictures are directly from our rooms and what we do have is advertised on our website as well as other websites. I attempted to find your reservation by the name you are registered under on this site to see if you were one of the guests affected by the disruptive room we had two weeks ago. Just to let you know, we did not extend their stay even though they were due to stay with us two additional nights. We sincerely care about the service from check-in to check-out and thereafter. I am inspecting the property for any items that may seem old or worn and will have them refreshed by either replacing or cleaning or whatever means it takes to make the room nice. With our boardwalk/ocean front location, we are always trying to put our best foot forward. Again, I'm sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. I do hope that you will try us again by calling me directly. Thank you.
san diego, ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Awesome location but this hotel is worn out, customer service is limited but they try. Management is holding back, they could make this place better, but they would have to charge substantially more. Stay rather comfortably here, right on the pacific ocean, enjoy Pacific Beach where you can walk to everything including Mission Bay and Mission Beach, and don't expect luxury for less money. Great value!

Room Tip: 2 Ocean view suites/rooms with balconies! Nice family suites. No elevator! Parking can be a hassle...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
jimsilver, General Manager at Diamond Head Inn, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments about your stay with us. It says we are holding back. I would definately like to know what else we could do to make your stay better. From a management perspective, we seriosly try to give the best customer service possible and this is what is stressed at every meeting. Anyway, once again, thank you for staying with us!

Been to Diamond Head Inn? Share your experiences!