“Not too bad at all!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Suites Mission Valley

Orbitz.com Booking.com
Comfort Suites Mission Valley
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   631 Camino Del Rio South, San Diego, CA 92108 (Mission Valley / Hotel Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #196 of 270 hotels in San Diego
“Not too bad at all!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We had a short stay here with friends visiting from out of state. We wanted something close to Sea World that was comfortable and affordable. This hotel was exactly that! The rooms were nice (small but updated), the staff was friendly and helpful and the grounds were pretty. We enjoyed sitting out on the community patio area at night, sipping wine and enjoying the warm evening weather. There is a TGIF's VERY close by that we had dinner at one night (great menu and prices) and a Denny's just down the road (we had breakfast here). Also, an AM/PM mart a block away, which was nice for loading up on water/drinks/snacks.

Great little hotel. Would stay here again!

Room Tip: Request a quiet room, if possible. We had a floor level room near the lobby and it was great!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Elizabeth M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Mission Valley, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
I thank you very much for your nice review of our property and that you took the time to let others know that you enjoyed your stay with us. As you pointed out, we are very convenient to Sea World and all the San Diego attractions. Many of our guests tell us as you did, they like to be able to walk to restaurants and stores that are close by and/or drive across the road to the shopping center. I am glad you found this to be true for your stay as well.
Our staff works very hard to ensure our guests enjoy their stay with us, and I am sure they will be pleased when I share your comments with them that you appreciated their effort. I am glad you were able to enjoy our pool are and grounds. Our property has devoted the past year to making many improvements and upgrades to our rooms and common areas. I do hope you also had the opportunity to try our expanded selections on our breakfast buffet as well.
I appreciate your comments and hope you choose to stay with us again soon!
Sincerely yours,

Elizabeth Ming

237 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times with the kids and we really enjoy the amenities of the property and the value of the stay. We like having a separate room for the kids and that room is not near the door to the room. Usually a quiet property I would recommend a room on the 3rd floor to avoid any extra noise. The rooms are very clean and while they are a bit on the small side,they make good use of the space they have.

Room Tip: Ask for a 3rd floor room for less noise.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Elizabeth M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Mission Valley, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
I very much appreciate you taking the time to send us your comments about your recent stay with us. I use all comments to continually improve guest satisfaction. I am glad you are a frequent guest and have discovered the quality, value, and amenities of our property. We are always adding services and making improvements to our hotel in order to make guests feel this is their “home away from home”.
Our separate suites with two rooms are indeed a popular feature and I am happy you and your children like them. Not only do they provide some extra privacy, children enjoy their “own rooms” and can watch their own programs on the separate television.
I hope you and your family had the opportunity to take advantage of the variety of choices of our breakfast buffet, as well as the daily menu changes. I also hope you and your family had time to relax in the swimming pool.
Again, I thank you so much for your comments. Please let me know the next time you decide to stay with us as I would like to give you a small token of our appreciation for being a frequent quest.
Elizabeth Ming, General Manager
Yuma, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel. We checked in around 1:30pm. Most hotel rooms are stuffy and hot when first entering them. We started the AC unit and fan and left the room. We returned around 8:45pm and the room was still hot! Our friends were staying in the adjoining room and I walked into their room to see if their AC was working the same. Their room was cold and they didn't even have the fan on. We called the front desk and they said they would send someone up. 30 minutes pass and we receive another call asking what the problem was. I explained again and was told someone would be up...again. 1 hour later, maintenance finally shows up and proceeds to tell us that nothing is wrong with the AC unit. 30 minutes later, the front desk calls back and says there is nothing wrong and nothing they can do for us and that they would put a note in our file. It is now 11pm and we had 2 children with us. We had no choice, but to endure the night. We were NEVER even offered another room. The next morning I asked to speak to the manager. I was told she was not in and would not be in until the next day. The front desk clerk said she could only refund the $8 parking fee. I explained the refund was not sufficient. The clerk said she could call her manager(Elizabeth Ming) on her cell phone. The manager answered the phone call and stated that we would have to contact her the next day when she returned. I asked the clerk to refund the parking fee to start with and I would speak with her manager the next day. The clerk proceeded to tell me that she could no longer refund the $8 parking fee! I called the next day and spent 2 hours being hung up. I was told she was with a customer and would help when she was done. I was on hold for 40 minutes! I hung up and called back and was told she had gone to lunch! I asked the clerk(Davina) to call her on her cell phone and find out when she would be back. The clerk said she called, but got no answer. I asked her to call again and I was put on hold. I hung up and called back and another clerk(Cedrick) said they had customers in front of them that they needed to help. What about me?! I was the customer just yesterday and received no help from anyone there! I asked for the corporate number and Davina said they had no corporate office and Elizabeth Ming was who I needed to speak to. I spent 3 hours trying to get the problem resolved. Lauralee at the corporate office was extremely helpful and had my problem and refund resolved in less than 30 minutes! I WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN!!! And I plan on letting everyone know what horrible staff they have working at this hotel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Elizabeth M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Mission Valley, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay with us. We did accommodate your early arrival and allowed an early check in so I hope you were able to use the extra time to enjoy more of the sights in San Diego.

I am surprised you said the room was not cool enough since we are upgrading our air conditioning and heating units and your room had just been completed. I realize all guests are different in what they like the room temperature to be however our engineering staff did check your unit while you were there and tested it to be within the normal operating range. When there are malfunctions, we do have backup units on-site we can install or take the room out of service until they can be repaired. Even though our engineering staff did not detect a malfunction in your air conditioning, our procedure is to ask the guest if they would like to be moved to a different room.

At 7am, the next morning (Sunday) you spoke with our front desk staff and stated you wished to speak with me. The staff knew I worked late the night before and would not be coming to the office until Monday she suggested you leave a voice mail or send an email to me and I would contact you on Monday. However at your insistence, they contacted me at home. While I understand your desire to speak with me about this was important to you, I was asleep and did not have the details about your case, and told the staff to take your number so I could contact you first thing Monday, but the staff said you would just call me back.

The next day, apparently you tried numerous times to contact me but did not identify who you were and apparently preferred not to leave any messages. As the General Manager, I receive countless calls every day and I instruct our receptionists to either have the caller leave me a voice mail message or send me an email since I am normally either on the phone or in a meeting. This process allows me to follow up with guest or sales inquiries when I cannot take the calls as they occur. Certainly if I am available, I take the calls, however I was attending to an emergency when you attempted to contact me the following day. Unfortunatley, this took 3 or 4 hours of my time that day. Our staff asked you to leave a call back number or send an email, but without success. I sincerely value all communications from each and every guest and always try to receive all calls as they occur whenever possible unless I am already on another call or in a meeting.
I do wish we had the opportunity to speak together about this. Again, I am sorry you felt the room was not cool enough, but I personally verified our engineer’s report and went to the room myself and found it was well within specifications and the air was very cool.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

This isn't the newest comfort inn I've stayed in but by far the best managed; all staff was excellent, willing to o the extra mile to make your stay pleasant.

Also, a nice outdoor courtyard where you could enjoy the most comprehensive of any Comfort Inn breakfast. Close proximity to beaches, downtown and zoo.

• Stayed September 2012
Elizabeth M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Mission Valley, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
I thank you for taking the time to send your kind comments and appreciate them very much. As the General Manager, I always read all comments, both positive and negative in order to not only find areas where we can improve our high standards of quality but to increase our the enjoyment of our guests.
I am pleased that you noticed how much time and effort we devote to training our staff members in order to ensure the best possible customer service we can provide. I am also glad you noticed our convenient location and our extensive breakfast selections and dining options.
As you noted, we are an established property in the San Diego area, but we are also in the process of making many upgrades to the property this will make it even more enjoyable and modern for our guests. Again, thank you for your feedback, I look forward to your next visit.
Elizabeth Ming, General Manger
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I ignored the reviews on here but should have listened. I saw the pictures of the lobby and thought wow this place really is nice for a great price; however, that's where it ends. My room had stains everywhere all over the walls and even the sheets, pillows, and blankets. I was put into a room I didnt book and when I complained about it they said they upgraded me. Honestly, it was no upgrade it was just all bad. The only thing good about this hotel is the breakfast was great and it is close to everything. This is far from a suite!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I apologize if our accommodations did not meet your expectations during your recent stay with us. The description of your room certainly does not meet our standards of housekeeping cleanliness. Our staff is trained to report anything they notice out of the ordinary that requires immediate attention. Our housekeeping inspector checks all rooms after they are cleaned, and management also performs random room checks for cleanliness, so this situation would be very unusual. Based on your input, I will personally inspect the room you stayed in and take any needed steps based on my findings to ensure the room meets our standards.
Most all of our guests enjoy our suites that feature separate living and sleeping areas and feel they are more than adequate in size. When traveling with family or friends, the separate living room that can be closed off with pocket doors affords additional sleeping options with the sofa beds. We do recognize all of our guests are individuals and have their own views of what they like or how big a room has to be to be classified as a suite.
Our policy is that whenever a guest is not satisfied with their room, we either attempt to change rooms if possible or find another property that meets their standards.
We are happy at least that you did enjoy our breakfast choices on the free breakfast buffet.
I do thank you for your comments as I use all comments provided to enhance our continual improvement processes.
Elizabeth Ming, General Manager
Sacramento, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here as a family of four over Labor day weekend. The only nice thing to say about this hotel is that it has a convenient location. Our room was on the 2nd floor, near the pool and was incredibly noisy. At all hours! We called at 9pm to let them know that people were screaming at the pool and was told they would be told to quiet down. 930 same thing...ugh. Every single night. Not fun when travelling w/small children trying to sleep. Rooms are very small for a suite, our carpet was stained. The pull out couch horribly uncomfortable. The noise from people showering and using their toilets travelled loudly through the walls. The free breakfast was awful. We only ended up trying it the first day and chisel to eat out the other days. Eggs were watery, when we asked if their was a 'meat' item we were told there was meat in the gravy, lol. Just awful all around, we definitely will not stay here again and spend a few extra dollars a night to go a few doors down. What a disappointing stay.

• Stayed September 2012
Elizabeth M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Mission Valley, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
Thank you for your comments. I am very sorry you were not completely satisfied during your recent stay with us. We always strive to provide an outstanding experience for all of our guests and use numerous quality control methods to achieve this. One part of this process is guest feedback, but unfortunately our staff had no record of your asking for assistance other than the calls about the pool area noise. We do have pool hours and policies for users for quiet enjoyment during morning and evening hours however this being a holiday weekend, we had numerous families with small children. As a mother with children yourself, I am sure you would agree it can be difficult on occasions to have kids behave perfectly all the time let alone multiple children. We do sincerely apologize for the excessive noise and made attempts to correct this during your stay as well as creating extra procedures for future holiday weekends.
I am also sorry that you did not like our free breakfast selections since we have made many upgrades in choices and quality that have been highly received with many positive comments from other guests. As you noticed, the Labor Day weekend was unusually busy for us and we did have to add different selections when other items ran out. We do vary our selections every day for variety and always do have either bacon, sausage, or ham to choose from. I do wish you had tried the breakfast on successive days during your stay as I am sure you would have had a different opinion of our quality selections.
I also apologize for any louder than normal plumbing noises you heard. Some rooms adjacent to yours were undergoing renovations as a part of our continual improvement process at Comfort Suites Mission Valley. Unfortunately that meant that while this was occurring, some walls and sound deadening material were not in place in those rooms which caused the louder than usual sounds.
I did noticed from some of your other hotel reviews where you had raised concerns about those properties in your comments that you attempted to convey concerns to management during your stay. As a general manager I can tell you it is extremely important for any property to have guest feedback during their stay not only to attempt to satisfy guests, but to improve guest operations.
We are happy that you did notice that our location is indeed close to all the major San Diego attractions as well as to the downtown area. I hope you may decide to try our property again as I am...
Broomfield, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I stayed here one night while in town to attend my nephew's graduation from Marine boot camp. This hotel was near the MCRD (but so are a lot of other hotels, so you do not need to settle for this one). I booked one of the "king suites" that had a living room with a sleeper sofa and a king bed. To use the term "suite" is quite an overstatement. The room was a little smaller, and more narrow, than a standard hotel room with 2 queen beds. Adding a "pocket" door to separate the living area from the "bedroom" does not constitute a suite.

The free breakfast buffet was okay - but the only meat to be found was some diced ham in the scrambled eggs.

At least the price of the room is in line with what you actually get - a narrow hotel room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
How proud of your nephew you must be on his becoming a U.S. Marine! His dedication and sacrifice are very much appreciated! I am sorry you did not feel our rooms were as spacious as you expected. Most of our guests that stay with family or friends seem to enjoy the extra privacy the pocket doors afford, especially since most of them return to the hotel to sleep after a full day of activities or business in and around San Diego. Most of our guests leave early in the morning and we don’t see them again until late in the evening.
I do appreciate your comments about our breakfast buffet. We have put a great deal of effort into the amount of choices offered on our buffet and do have a variety of different items each day. Most days we do have individual meat choices, although sometimes the meat is incorporated into another offering. While most guests do tend to eat lighter anymore and steer toward more healthful items over traditional ones, we do recognize other guests like more of the traditional choices. Based on your comment, we will attempt provide even more traditional selections each day and gage guest demand for them.
Again, I do sincerely appreciate you taking the time to provide us these comments and trust you will consider Comfort Suites Mission Valley for your next stay in the San Diego area.

Been to Comfort Suites Mission Valley? Share your experiences!