“Excellent place to stay if you have kids” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Suites Mission Valley

You added Comfort Suites Mission Valley to your Saves list
Comfort Suites Mission Valley
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   631 Camino Del Rio South, San Diego, CA 92108 (Mission Valley / Hotel Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #158 of 269 Hotels in San Diego
“Excellent place to stay if you have kids”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times with the kids and we really enjoy the amenities of the property and the value of the stay. We like having a separate room for the kids and that room is not near the door to the room. Usually a quiet property I would recommend a room on the 3rd floor to avoid any extra noise. The rooms are very clean and while they are a bit on the small side,they make good use of the space they have.

Room Tip: Ask for a 3rd floor room for less noise.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Elizabeth M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Mission Valley, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
I very much appreciate you taking the time to send us your comments about your recent stay with us. I use all comments to continually improve guest satisfaction. I am glad you are a frequent guest and have discovered the quality, value, and amenities of our property. We are always adding services and making improvements to our hotel in order to make guests feel this is their “home away from home”.
Our separate suites with two rooms are indeed a popular feature and I am happy you and your children like them. Not only do they provide some extra privacy, children enjoy their “own rooms” and can watch their own programs on the separate television.
I hope you and your family had the opportunity to take advantage of the variety of choices of our breakfast buffet, as well as the daily menu changes. I also hope you and your family had time to relax in the swimming pool.
Again, I thank you so much for your comments. Please let me know the next time you decide to stay with us as I would like to give you a small token of our appreciation for being a frequent quest.
Elizabeth Ming, General Manager
Comfort Suites Mission Valley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Yuma, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel. We checked in around 1:30pm. Most hotel rooms are stuffy and hot when first entering them. We started the AC unit and fan and left the room. We returned around 8:45pm and the room was still hot! Our friends were staying in the adjoining room and I walked into their room to see if their AC was working the same. Their room was cold and they didn't even have the fan on. We called the front desk and they said they would send someone up. 30 minutes pass and we receive another call asking what the problem was. I explained again and was told someone would be up...again. 1 hour later, maintenance finally shows up and proceeds to tell us that nothing is wrong with the AC unit. 30 minutes later, the front desk calls back and says there is nothing wrong and nothing they can do for us and that they would put a note in our file. It is now 11pm and we had 2 children with us. We had no choice, but to endure the night. We were NEVER even offered another room. The next morning I asked to speak to the manager. I was told she was not in and would not be in until the next day. The front desk clerk said she could only refund the $8 parking fee. I explained the refund was not sufficient. The clerk said she could call her manager(Elizabeth Ming) on her cell phone. The manager answered the phone call and stated that we would have to contact her the next day when she returned. I asked the clerk to refund the parking fee to start with and I would speak with her manager the next day. The clerk proceeded to tell me that she could no longer refund the $8 parking fee! I called the next day and spent 2 hours being hung up. I was told she was with a customer and would help when she was done. I was on hold for 40 minutes! I hung up and called back and was told she had gone to lunch! I asked the clerk(Davina) to call her on her cell phone and find out when she would be back. The clerk said she called, but got no answer. I asked her to call again and I was put on hold. I hung up and called back and another clerk(Cedrick) said they had customers in front of them that they needed to help. What about me?! I was the customer just yesterday and received no help from anyone there! I asked for the corporate number and Davina said they had no corporate office and Elizabeth Ming was who I needed to speak to. I spent 3 hours trying to get the problem resolved. Lauralee at the corporate office was extremely helpful and had my problem and refund resolved in less than 30 minutes! I WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN!!! And I plan on letting everyone know what horrible staff they have working at this hotel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Elizabeth M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Mission Valley, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay with us. We did accommodate your early arrival and allowed an early check in so I hope you were able to use the extra time to enjoy more of the sights in San Diego.

I am surprised you said the room was not cool enough since we are upgrading our air conditioning and heating units and your room had just been completed. I realize all guests are different in what they like the room temperature to be however our engineering staff did check your unit while you were there and tested it to be within the normal operating range. When there are malfunctions, we do have backup units on-site we can install or take the room out of service until they can be repaired. Even though our engineering staff did not detect a malfunction in your air conditioning, our procedure is to ask the guest if they would like to be moved to a different room.

At 7am, the next morning (Sunday) you spoke with our front desk staff and stated you wished to speak with me. The staff knew I worked late the night before and would not be coming to the office until Monday she suggested you leave a voice mail or send an email to me and I would contact you on Monday. However at your insistence, they contacted me at home. While I understand your desire to speak with me about this was important to you, I was asleep and did not have the details about your case, and told the staff to take your number so I could contact you first thing Monday, but the staff said you would just call me back.

The next day, apparently you tried numerous times to contact me but did not identify who you were and apparently preferred not to leave any messages. As the General Manager, I receive countless calls every day and I instruct our receptionists to either have the caller leave me a voice mail message or send me an email since I am normally either on the phone or in a meeting. This process allows me to follow up with guest or sales inquiries when I cannot take the calls as they occur. Certainly if I am available, I take the calls, however I was attending to an emergency when you attempted to contact me the following day. Unfortunatley, this took 3 or 4 hours of my time that day. Our staff asked you to leave a call back number or send an email, but without success. I sincerely value all communications from each and every guest and always try to receive all calls as they occur whenever possible unless I am already on another call or in a meeting.
I do wish we had the opportunity to speak together about this. Again, I am sorry you felt the room was not cool enough, but I personally verified our engineer’s report and went to the room myself and found it was well within specifications and the air was very cool.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

This isn't the newest comfort inn I've stayed in but by far the best managed; all staff was excellent, willing to o the extra mile to make your stay pleasant.

Also, a nice outdoor courtyard where you could enjoy the most comprehensive of any Comfort Inn breakfast. Close proximity to beaches, downtown and zoo.

• Stayed September 2012
Elizabeth M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Mission Valley, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
I thank you for taking the time to send your kind comments and appreciate them very much. As the General Manager, I always read all comments, both positive and negative in order to not only find areas where we can improve our high standards of quality but to increase our the enjoyment of our guests.
I am pleased that you noticed how much time and effort we devote to training our staff members in order to ensure the best possible customer service we can provide. I am also glad you noticed our convenient location and our extensive breakfast selections and dining options.
As you noted, we are an established property in the San Diego area, but we are also in the process of making many upgrades to the property this will make it even more enjoyable and modern for our guests. Again, thank you for your feedback, I look forward to your next visit.
Elizabeth Ming, General Manger
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I ignored the reviews on here but should have listened. I saw the pictures of the lobby and thought wow this place really is nice for a great price; however, that's where it ends. My room had stains everywhere all over the walls and even the sheets, pillows, and blankets. I was put into a room I didnt book and when I complained about it they said they upgraded me. Honestly, it was no upgrade it was just all bad. The only thing good about this hotel is the breakfast was great and it is close to everything. This is far from a suite!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I apologize if our accommodations did not meet your expectations during your recent stay with us. The description of your room certainly does not meet our standards of housekeeping cleanliness. Our staff is trained to report anything they notice out of the ordinary that requires immediate attention. Our housekeeping inspector checks all rooms after they are cleaned, and management also performs random room checks for cleanliness, so this situation would be very unusual. Based on your input, I will personally inspect the room you stayed in and take any needed steps based on my findings to ensure the room meets our standards.
Most all of our guests enjoy our suites that feature separate living and sleeping areas and feel they are more than adequate in size. When traveling with family or friends, the separate living room that can be closed off with pocket doors affords additional sleeping options with the sofa beds. We do recognize all of our guests are individuals and have their own views of what they like or how big a room has to be to be classified as a suite.
Our policy is that whenever a guest is not satisfied with their room, we either attempt to change rooms if possible or find another property that meets their standards.
We are happy at least that you did enjoy our breakfast choices on the free breakfast buffet.
I do thank you for your comments as I use all comments provided to enhance our continual improvement processes.
Elizabeth Ming, General Manager
Sacramento, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here as a family of four over Labor day weekend. The only nice thing to say about this hotel is that it has a convenient location. Our room was on the 2nd floor, near the pool and was incredibly noisy. At all hours! We called at 9pm to let them know that people were screaming at the pool and was told they would be told to quiet down. 930 same thing...ugh. Every single night. Not fun when travelling w/small children trying to sleep. Rooms are very small for a suite, our carpet was stained. The pull out couch horribly uncomfortable. The noise from people showering and using their toilets travelled loudly through the walls. The free breakfast was awful. We only ended up trying it the first day and chisel to eat out the other days. Eggs were watery, when we asked if their was a 'meat' item we were told there was meat in the gravy, lol. Just awful all around, we definitely will not stay here again and spend a few extra dollars a night to go a few doors down. What a disappointing stay.

• Stayed September 2012
Elizabeth M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Mission Valley, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
Thank you for your comments. I am very sorry you were not completely satisfied during your recent stay with us. We always strive to provide an outstanding experience for all of our guests and use numerous quality control methods to achieve this. One part of this process is guest feedback, but unfortunately our staff had no record of your asking for assistance other than the calls about the pool area noise. We do have pool hours and policies for users for quiet enjoyment during morning and evening hours however this being a holiday weekend, we had numerous families with small children. As a mother with children yourself, I am sure you would agree it can be difficult on occasions to have kids behave perfectly all the time let alone multiple children. We do sincerely apologize for the excessive noise and made attempts to correct this during your stay as well as creating extra procedures for future holiday weekends.
I am also sorry that you did not like our free breakfast selections since we have made many upgrades in choices and quality that have been highly received with many positive comments from other guests. As you noticed, the Labor Day weekend was unusually busy for us and we did have to add different selections when other items ran out. We do vary our selections every day for variety and always do have either bacon, sausage, or ham to choose from. I do wish you had tried the breakfast on successive days during your stay as I am sure you would have had a different opinion of our quality selections.
I also apologize for any louder than normal plumbing noises you heard. Some rooms adjacent to yours were undergoing renovations as a part of our continual improvement process at Comfort Suites Mission Valley. Unfortunately that meant that while this was occurring, some walls and sound deadening material were not in place in those rooms which caused the louder than usual sounds.
I did noticed from some of your other hotel reviews where you had raised concerns about those properties in your comments that you attempted to convey concerns to management during your stay. As a general manager I can tell you it is extremely important for any property to have guest feedback during their stay not only to attempt to satisfy guests, but to improve guest operations.
We are happy that you did notice that our location is indeed close to all the major San Diego attractions as well as to the downtown area. I hope you may decide to try our property again as I am certain you will have a much different opinion of us. If you do
Broomfield, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I stayed here one night while in town to attend my nephew's graduation from Marine boot camp. This hotel was near the MCRD (but so are a lot of other hotels, so you do not need to settle for this one). I booked one of the "king suites" that had a living room with a sleeper sofa and a king bed. To use the term "suite" is quite an overstatement. The room was a little smaller, and more narrow, than a standard hotel room with 2 queen beds. Adding a "pocket" door to separate the living area from the "bedroom" does not constitute a suite.

The free breakfast buffet was okay - but the only meat to be found was some diced ham in the scrambled eggs.

At least the price of the room is in line with what you actually get - a narrow hotel room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
How proud of your nephew you must be on his becoming a U.S. Marine! His dedication and sacrifice are very much appreciated! I am sorry you did not feel our rooms were as spacious as you expected. Most of our guests that stay with family or friends seem to enjoy the extra privacy the pocket doors afford, especially since most of them return to the hotel to sleep after a full day of activities or business in and around San Diego. Most of our guests leave early in the morning and we don’t see them again until late in the evening.
I do appreciate your comments about our breakfast buffet. We have put a great deal of effort into the amount of choices offered on our buffet and do have a variety of different items each day. Most days we do have individual meat choices, although sometimes the meat is incorporated into another offering. While most guests do tend to eat lighter anymore and steer toward more healthful items over traditional ones, we do recognize other guests like more of the traditional choices. Based on your comment, we will attempt provide even more traditional selections each day and gage guest demand for them.
Again, I do sincerely appreciate you taking the time to provide us these comments and trust you will consider Comfort Suites Mission Valley for your next stay in the San Diego area.
Mesa, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I almost canceled my stay here after reading so many negative reviews of this hotel. But it suited our need for two rooms and a reasonable price, so we kept the reservation and hoped for the best. I was impressed that management responds to TA reviews, so I decided that was a good sign that they care about what the guests think. We stayed for 5 nights in August 2012 in high tourist season. Overall, we were very pleased and we will stay here again.

The biggest take-away point from this hotel is that they try very hard, and in many ways succeed, to offer a clean, comfortable, reasonably-priced family hotel. My biggest observation is that they lack an attention to detail. When we arrived in our room, there were a few missed pieces of trash on the floor (a pretzel, a toothpick, a wrapper), toilet bowl cleanser on the outside side of the bowl, and a spider web in the door-frame. I cleaned it all up and that was that. Another day, they accidentally left behind a bag of trash that they had pulled out of the can. But, while they obviously don't clean with white gloves and a toothbrush, I also did not feel like the hotel was gross or filthy or run-down. It just struck me as people working hard but perhaps a bit too quickly to catch all the details. I did observe them cleaning other rooms and they do strip and change all the linens, vacuum the floor, clean the tub and toilet, etc. The rooms were clean and I felt safe, sanitary, and comfortable. Every person I encountered on the staff, including the housekeeping staff, was very pleasant.

Our toilet seat lid and bathtub stopper were both broken but maintenance came right away to fix them.

The rooms are small and have a bit too much furniture in them, but I think their size is reasonable for the price. I saw furniture out back near the dumpsters so it makes me wonder if they are refurnishing some rooms to remove the bulkier pieces. We stayed in the smallest suite. The bedroom had a bed, two bed tables, two wall lamps, a wardrobe, and a dresser with a TV. A pair of sliding french doors with sheer curtains separated the two rooms. The interior room had a pull out couch, an end table, a smaller table, a desk, a desk chair, an arm chair, two lamps, and an entertainment center with a TV.

The breakfast was good, though like all buffet breakfasts, was carb-heavy. Every day they offer yogurt, oranges, bananas, toast, bagels, dry cereal, waffles, muffins, cold hard-boiled eggs, milk, juice, and coffee, and one rotating hot-item, which was almost always a kind of egg dish. I think they underestimate the portions as they usually ran out of several things before breakfast was over. Go early for the largest selection.

This hotel is definitely oriented toward families. If you hate the sound of kids yelling and having fun, this really is not the place for you. All day long, kids romp and yell in the pool, run up and down the halls, lounge on the patio. It's very very welcoming to families and we really enjoyed it, but if you're annoyed by kids, this is not the place for you.

We found the bed to be very comfortable. The pillows are small and soft but they gave us plenty of them so we just piled them up. Our room was very quiet, which makes or breaks a stay for me because I'm such a light sleeper. The hotel worked hard to find a room in a quiet corner of the property for me because everything wakes me up.

One small minor annoyance-they have redone the bathrooms, but they hung the mirror over the outlet so that you can't get anything with a high profile cord in there. I had to run to Target to get a low profile extension cord so that I could plug in my fan and flat iron. Bring one if you have it.

The pool was clean and at a nice temperature. The jacuzzi was a nice temperature, but it was covered in dirt/sand on the bottom, but the next day it was closed. The following day, it was opened again, and clean. I don't know if the dirt was the reason for the closure, but they definitely took care of it.

They do charge you $8/day for parking which was annoying, but typical of all hotels in the area. From calling around, I do know that their parking fee was lower than most others in the area.

The location is awesome. We were right next to the I-8 freeway, and 10-15 minutes from Old Town, Balboa Park/Zoo, Sea World, Mission Bay, and the coastal beaches. This hotel was substantially less expensive than Hotel Circle Hotels, and only 3 miles farther away. A gas station, a local diner, a Denny's, a TGI Fridays, and a Wendy's are all on the same side of the freeway as the hotel. On the opposite side is a large outdoor mall with a Target, a Macy's, a Movie Theatre, several small mall retail shops, and lots of food options. The freeway bridge is too small for the traffic so allow an extra 5 minutes to any drive because it can get pretty congested .This will make sense when you get there: No, you can't go left out of the parking lot and go anywhere. It dead ends at TGI Fridays.

I think there are a few things the hotel could do at low cost to them that would enhance the guest experience. The pool is open 9:00am-10:00pm. It is almost always full of children. I would have appreciated an adults-only hour before or after the regular hours so that I could actually swim, as the high number of kids in the pool make it pretty impossible. There were several mornings I was up at 7:00 and would have loved to go down and swim while the morning was quiet. I would like it if they would put outlet covers in the outlets in the rooms, or offer them at the front desk. Since their target-market is families with young children, I don't think this is unreasonable, nor is it expensive. Secure the bottom edges of the wall mirrors hanging in the rooms--my son kept tugging at it and pulling it away from the wall. I also think they could benefit from another Waffle Iron or two, as the line to use one each morning was very long.

I think the hotel can definitely use some fine-tuning, but at $50 less per night than comparable two-room options, I think what we received was very reasonable. I was highly satisfied with our stay and our room. We hope to be back next summer.

Room Tip: Some rooms have the bathroom attached to the bedroom, and some have them attached to the kids' r...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your comments and observations during your recent stay with us. You are correct in that part of our continual improvement process is to take seriously any guest comments received through the hotel or from independent review sites like this one. It is only from guests like your that take the time to provide feedback do we succeed in increasing our desire for guest satisfaction.
We strive to have housekeeping provide detailed attention to all rooms they are assigned to. I do know that on occasion things can be missed and I apologize! We have made many changes recently in our quality control process for room cleaning but I realize there can always be room for more improvements. I have also provided this portion of your comments to our staff to adjust their cleaning processes.
I am happy you did enjoy our breakfast buffet selection. Yes, it is a fine line between offering traditional and lighter fare buffet items and gauging which ones will be more popular on any given day. Occasionally we do run short of something towards the end of the buffet service, it based on the guests that specific day. The staff and I have reviewed the idea of possibly providing an additional waffle irons, however, the space in the buffet area is limited, we also have consider to pre-make the waffles, but that takes out the idea to have fresh made waffles. We will continue to find a solution that could speed up those occasions when many people come down at once.
Indeed, we have undergone many upgrade projects recently with the most current one being some of the room furniture upgrades. I agree that having more functional furniture can reduce the number of pieces needed which will increase floor area. This has been taking place for the last few months and will continue until all rooms have been upgraded.
While we traditionally have reserved the early morning hours for pool cleaning before opening for the day, I do like your suggestion for an adult’s only time and will see if we can possibly institute that.
Lastly, I am glad you noticed how convenient Comfort Suites Mission Valley is to restaurants, shopping, San Diego attractions, and downtown. Thank you again for your positive and informative comments which we will definitely use to further improve our guest experience. Thanks you again for choosing Comfort Suites Mission Valley, I hope to see you back on your next visit to San Diego!

Been to Comfort Suites Mission Valley? Share your experiences!